Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Replacement center console VDO clock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 05:34 PM
nineaxis
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement center console VDO clock?

My 968's plastic cover for the rectangular analog clock (https://i.imgur.com/4oNGSm0.jpg) next to the console cubby is cracked and scratched, and the face of the clock itself has seen better days. I've been looking around for replacements (either for the plastic cover or the entire clock) since I'd like to have the analog clock in there and in good condition, but I haven't found any 968 rectangle analog clocks besides other cracked and scratched used clocks available on ebay and such.

Are there any known sources for getting new clocks? Or has anyone replaced the clock with something else that they'd recommend? I'd rather keep the cubby than do the triple-dial mod.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:25 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I have a used clock that has faded orange dials, I found a new old stock on ebay last year. Yours for $25 including shipping.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:20 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Have you checked new? It could be ridiculous or it might be reasonable. Call Sunset in Oregon for the best new Porsche parts prices. Andraya will take good care of you.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:25 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts
Default happy ppl dont wear watches

a boxster/audi/vw part..or a generic like this ..

The little console screws might need a mod. It should be called a 3/4 din in my car.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:51 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In ref Paul Waterloo's offer: it's pretty easy to repaint those clock hands with dayglo paint available at hardware stores. I did it a few years back.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:25 PM
nineaxis
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Etnier
In ref Paul Waterloo's offer: it's pretty easy to repaint those clock hands with dayglo paint available at hardware stores. I did it a few years back.
Yeah, I was thinking I could repaint the hands on the clock that I have. I'm mostly concerned with getting a plastic faceplate for it that doesn't look like it has been through a warzone.

I'm wondering if it has been cracked by being hit, or (seeing as other used clocks seem to have cracks in their plastic covers too) if it's a result of the interior heating up/cooling and such - in which case putting a new stock piece of plastic over it will just end the same way. I'm not sure if anything can really be done about that though.

Quick Reply: Replacement center console VDO clock?