Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Rear hatch pin star torx screw

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:38 AM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is probably a stupid question. If so, I apologize. I've been doing some work on the rear hatch where it latches with the pins to enable the pins to seat better and get rid of the infernal vibrations. I changed the plastic sleeves you can buy from only944.com. The instructions are great. The problem is that the right hatch pin is frozen. I can't unscrew it to lengthen it so that it can seat into that plastic sleeve better.

I had a five lobe torx screw that I was using to loosen the two screws that hold the pin housing onto the hatch, but I couldn't get the housing off. I decided to tighten the screws and try again later. The problem is that one of the two screws, which was partially stripped before, now seems to be fully stripped. (I can get a bit of traction but not enough to unscrew or screw it in.

Is there a better star bit for this and does anybody know where to get a replacement? And, if I may, how does this doggone housing come off? I was thinking only those two screws were holding it.

Thanks for your help. Monte
Old 03-12-2014, 05:19 AM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Have to ask the question. Before you set out to adjust your pins to get rid of the vibration, ask yourself why is the hatch vibrating? What has changed? It's still attached to the body shell at the same hinge points, they certainly haven't moved or stretched. And the pins and latch sockets haven't moved in relation to each other, and the pins certainly haven't stretched, so why doesn't it fit snugly anymore? What has changed? Why does it leak (assuming the glass hasn't come unglued from the frame which is becoming a problem as they age)? Simple, there's only one piece in the entire assembly that isn't metal or glass. Only one piece that even has the ability to change. It's that old rotted rubber seal that has become so compressed with age, the weight of the hatch assay, it's prolly missing a few chunks in corners or torn away from sticking to the frame when opened, and corners that have shrunk and pulled away from the body shell so they don't even touch the hatch frame in the proper spot any more. It's not sealing, and more importantly, it's allowing that hatch to vibrate and rattle instead of providing a snug, properly thick cushion. Bottom line, before you do ANY adjustment on pins or sockets or adding little nylon sleeves, I strongly suggest if you haven't,(and you didn't mention you had), that you to spend the $96 at Sonnen or Sunset and get a new weatherstrip seal. A nice fat new seal will solve 90%+ of rear hatch rattles, vibrations, leaks etc. And super easy to install. No stripping screws etc.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Isn't there a locking nut that holds the pin? I would use wise grips on the bottom tip of the pin and unlock the locking nut.

It should be easy after that.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Hiya Mikey,

Thanks for your excellent thoughts on this. I did buy the seal and also put that in first. It helped a little bit. When I put in the new sleeves, the problem did go away. The only problem I'm having now is getting that right one, with the stripped torx bit, adjusted. Thanks again,

Monte

Originally Posted by quick968
Have to ask the question. Before you set out to adjust your pins to get rid of the vibration, ask yourself why is the hatch vibrating? What has changed? It's still attached to the body shell at the same hinge points, they certainly haven't moved or stretched. And the pins and latch sockets haven't moved in relation to each other, and the pins certainly haven't stretched, so why doesn't it fit snugly anymore? What has changed? Why does it leak (assuming the glass hasn't come unglued from the frame which is becoming a problem as they age)? Simple, there's only one piece in the entire assembly that isn't metal or glass. Only one piece that even has the ability to change. It's that old rotted rubber seal that has become so compressed with age, the weight of the hatch assay, it's prolly missing a few chunks in corners or torn away from sticking to the frame when opened, and corners that have shrunk and pulled away from the body shell so they don't even touch the hatch frame in the proper spot any more. It's not sealing, and more importantly, it's allowing that hatch to vibrate and rattle instead of providing a snug, properly thick cushion. Bottom line, before you do ANY adjustment on pins or sockets or adding little nylon sleeves, I strongly suggest if you haven't,(and you didn't mention you had), that you to spend the $96 at Sonnen or Sunset and get a new weatherstrip seal. A nice fat new seal will solve 90%+ of rear hatch rattles, vibrations, leaks etc. And super easy to install. No stripping screws etc. Cheers Mikey
Old 03-12-2014, 01:06 PM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Isn't there a locking nut that holds the pin? I would use wise grips on the bottom tip of the pin and unlock the locking nut. It should be easy after that.
Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I did loosen the locking nut. The problem is the actual pin won't screw in either direction. That is why I was looking at removing the whole piece, using some penetrating fluid and fixing the pin. Unfortunately, I finished stripping the screw/bolt. Darn it.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:19 PM
ab54666
Intermediate

After removing the torx screws the black plate is glued (heavily) to the frame, bit by bit I managed to get mine away with a variety of implements.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:35 PM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ab54666
After removing the torx screws the black plate is glued (heavily) to the frame, bit by bit I managed to get mine away with a variety of implements.
aha! Thanks my friend. I was really worried about wrenching it out, thinking that there might be an unseen screw holding it in. Interestingly, everything is working out with those new sleeves I got from Only944. The hatch is quiet as new. It really makes the car a lot more fun to drive without those rattles.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:21 AM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Why does Only944 specifically state these sleeves will NOT fit the 968 when they clearly do fit?

Mikey
Old 04-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Merl Claude Root
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I have rear hatch pins that are frozen.....I can't seem to move them in either direction. Any suggestions.
I'm going to remove what holds the pins in place...there are two torx screws that takes a 12 point torx bit. I don't have a 12 point so I must order one. I don't what size that is and don 't want to purchase a whole set for a one time usage. Pease let me know what size it is. Thank You.

Last edited by Merl Claude Root; 04-27-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: need more help
Old 07-29-2017, 12:03 AM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Merl Claude Root
Hi,
I have rear hatch pins that are frozen.....I can't seem to move them in either direction. Any suggestions.
I'm going to remove what holds the pins in place...there are two torx screws that takes a 12 point torx bit. I don't have a 12 point so I must order one. I don't what size that is and don 't want to purchase a whole set for a one time usage. Pease let me know what size it is. Thank You.
It's actually a triple square, not a Torx. You can find a set of triple square bits on Amazon for about 15 bucks ... I bought them recently so I could install new hatch pins and square nuts.

IIRC the bit you need for this is the M6.

Sorry to necro a 3 year old thread, but I always see people asking about the "12 point Torx" screw.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:43 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

absolute Porsche fail garbage.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:09 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by quick968
Why does Only944 specifically state these sleeves will NOT fit the 968 when they clearly do fit?

Mikey
I quit looking at their site because of that.

Quick Reply: Rear hatch pin star torx screw