968 Forum 1992-1995

Been Looking at Ferrari F355's Lately

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Been Looking at Ferrari F355's Lately

An internet friend asked me to look at an Audi S8 at a local dealer for him (I'm kinda a D2 A8/S8 expert).....so I did. They also had a 95 Ferrari F355 GTB there. OMG, I LOVE THE LOOK OF IT!

In the end, it was a beat version. So then I started looking thinking maybe I could get a cheap one for $40K.

Last week I looked at a guy's 95 in Salt Lake City. The guy is so cool, great to meet another car guy. His is for sale for $53K, he bought it for $48K two years ago and put $18K into since then. The car is super clean.

It is such a beautiful design....I want one just to look at it in my garage.

The owner took me for a five mile ride, mostly highway, then we came back and he let myself and my business partner drive it, while he drove with my brother in our rental SUV while he listened to me pass him on the highway over and over again at full throttle on the five mile loop!

I was very surprised regarding the lack of power that I felt, however, I did not fully ring it out. It redlines at 8,500, I was shifting at 7,500 and below 3,000 RPM is has no torque whatsoever.

The specs are:
  • 268 ft-lbs at 6,000 RPM
  • 380 HP at 8,250 RPM
  • 0-60 in 4.6 seconds

Now that I read that again, I understand why it has no bottom end (it does not have variable valve technology), but I would like to drive it again to see if I can make it get up and go. I'm sure it has more than I thought it did.

Anyways, it handles very nicely, but after driving the 968, it is not as neutral as the 968, it has an ever so slight push. At least that's what I felt during my test drive. Similar to my business partner's 84 911.

Interior storage: NONE, two little pockets on the doors and one cubby in the center console, no glove compartment. I love the back seat of the 968 for storage, plus the other pockets and cubbies.

If I had "*uck you" money, I would be buying one. But for now, I will wait until the weather turns and drive a guy's in Chicago back-to-back with the 968 and get my opinion.

The one I looked at was very clean and I would not hesitate to buy it. But for now I have a completely paid for 968 with track wheels, coil overs yet to be fitted, a LSD yet to be fitted, a new dash yet to be fitted and almost everything else sorted out.

But I still want a Ferrari some day. The F355 is coined "The last analog Ferrari". I like that.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I read an article on the pitfalls of buying a used Ferrari a couple of years ago, and the main thing I remember is that up until I believe the F430, the engine has to come out to do a belt replacement, which is fairly frequently, like every three years. A daunting job for DIY'er, and probably upwards of five figures to have somebody else do it. Beautiful cars, though.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:57 PM
AMGsound
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, its true......but look at the fing thing.....unreal....and the sound of it....strong buy.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
I read an article on the pitfalls of buying a used Ferrari a couple of years ago, and the main thing I remember is that up until I believe the F430, the engine has to come out to do a belt replacement, which is fairly frequently, like every three years. A daunting job for DIY'er, and probably upwards of five figures to have somebody else do it. Beautiful cars, though.
That is correct....but it's easy for a DIY who is competent. The car is so well documented on ferrarichat.com I can't believe it. The car is super, super simple. Last of the analog Ferrari's. It's an engine, a few simple computers and some wiring for the interior.

Guys drop the engine out without the car being on a lift with two jacks.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:33 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

RUN!

No F355, never, ever, ever. You may thank me now.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:25 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
RUN!

No F355, never, ever, ever. You may thank me now.
+1
Old 02-11-2014, 01:00 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

I love the 355, IMO one of the best Ferrari's ever made.

I'll own one someday, quite possibly the one I currently service.

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
I wouldn't call it daunting. Took a day in the shop (taking my time) to drop the engine:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348...disection.html
Old 02-11-2014, 04:01 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the 360's aren't engine out cars like the 355's. and you'll see (the 360's) for sale with with 2~3 X + the miles.
despite being a few years newer.

Mr. Hacker.....

I didn't post from personal experience, but from the echo's heard from friends around the way in South Florida and other sources...

that the 355 to get would be one that had survived overheating the exhaust ports/less then great brass valve seats?

the comments in the thread were (also) not all first hand. but, nevertheless, interesting.

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...-question.html

and mine....

Originally Posted by odurandina
the 355s appear to be a somewhat easy-to-understand tragic case.

the engines weren't designed to run cats, period. and technically, you can say the same about a good number of their engines, such as the 360....

gunked up exhaust flow causes the (already poor-quality) headers to overheat, and fail, but, by that time, you've already overheated and fatigued the engine a good bunch - which in turn, will result in it requiring an overhaul.

*on the headers, the tubing is bent to where the curves become extremely thin.... and when you get a lazy bypass valve, or you just like to go fast, you get extreme heat buildup and melt through.... and hot exhaust gasses in the rear compartment is a very bad thing. but, the body is made of aluminum (a fire-resistant metal at low temps).

**the overhauls come from the poor ability of the cylinder heads, and poor-quality valve parts to tolerate all the heat cycling. once the fun starts, you're out tens of thousands of $$$.

but look on the bright side, this state of affairs is better than with some of the other models, which have more of a propensity to catch fire and burn up when the pipes get too hot.... at least you've still got your 355.

***some still manage to catch fire due to God knows what or leaking fuel.

read the ads for a dozen-or-so 355s and you'll no-longer be incredulous with respect to the low miles on the cars...

as this phenomenon is directly connected the costs for proper aftermarket headers to replace the oem garbage, and realization having set in the engines were going bum....

exceptions; the odd owner who may have switched to high-flow cats or removed the oem units altogether....

I love the classic culmination of the '80s~'90s *** of the 355.

the sound must have really been something to anyone hearing them for the first time.

Attached Images   

Last edited by odurandina; 02-11-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:17 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Nice, was it a stick? It looks like it is getting more difficult to find a standard tranny Ferrari.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Yep, as they call it "gated shifter" vs. the F1.

All I keep telling myself is how much I LOVE driving the 968 in the nice weather. And I can daily drive it, this car you could not. Looking to track my 968 with the local Lotus club in May, that will be fun!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:51 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Yep, as they call it "gated shifter" vs. the F1.
How was shifting it? Did you like the gated shfter? I have a 4 speed hurst pistol grip shifter in my 70 challenger for a "slightly different" shifting experience.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

It looks cool, it wasn't hard to shift, I imagine a non gated shifter would be easier to operate in the long run.....but it's part of the Ferrari experience. Once you get used to it, no big deal.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:05 PM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
In the end, it was a beat version...
If you're considering the $53K car that the guy bought for $48K and put $18K into then I can only imagine what the cheap $40K car would need. There's this guy who bought a cheap 968 and put 3x the purchase price into it...

Donn
Old 02-11-2014, 01:58 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd love a 355 with a blown motor. I would do lots of things that would **** off the purists with it.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful cars, but I knew three people with them and they all no longer have them (two of them traded in for 430). Their experiences were not the greatest, lots of down time.

Quick Reply: Been Looking at Ferrari F355's Lately