92 for sale to good home

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:42 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Default 92 for sale to good home

You all know the story, but if you don't, and aren't interested in hunting here it goes.

I bought this as a thrasher for $1800 sitting in a back yard in Dallas TX. The TB job was started, and for whatever reason was not completed. The seller was an idiot, and the car was quite rough, although the major components were in good shape.

I bought the car, and began resto May of 11. Many, many parts replaced, and much work done on systems to get it sorted pretty well. I'm moving on to another fixer and I'll let this one go. Good home or not, if you have munny, it's yours.

Current deficiencies that I'm not going to mess with much: Neither mirror adjusts electrically. They adjust fine by my finger. Sunroof drive motor wire is disconnected. It works, but I never use it, so it's not connected. Temp display backlight isn't working. Shifter boot has a small tear, and isn't very good looking. Maybe I'll get a new one this week. Very slow leak on the front crank. Balance shaft seals were done, but not the crank. Rear wiper asm is removed, it works, but it's off the car. Seat bottoms are cracked a bit, I have seat covers over. Dash cracks. Water temp gauge sticks when first started. I have to tap it to see it work. Amps removed, come with car.

I might do the seat covers when I order the shifter boot, but maybe not. If I can get into the shifter console, I guess I'll mess with the mirror wiring and sort that out.

Partial list of parts repl: grill, radiator, thermostat, aux belt, timing belt, balance belt, shaft seals, motor mounts, clutch slave, fuel injectors, ign cap, rotor, wires, custom clear belt cover, cam cover gasket, AC comp, R12, batt, inst lights(LED), door seal, wipers, hatch struts, various lamps, radio, wiring, shocks, and some stuff I've forgot.

Parts that come with car, not installed; Cam chain pads(inspected, not worn), beading for body rocker cover, beading/gasket for behind door handle, crank seal, axle boots, new engine under-tray, old cruise unit, old amps, some other bits.

92 model. 124k miles. 6sp manual. Cobalt met blue, black int. 17 cup wheels. Option 494 stereo(amps removed), replaced by a Sony 30WPC radio with CD/aux/USB/FM/AM source, custom fitted trailer hitch, red calipers, Nexen Z tires all around. Runs great now.

$8999 or any offer/trade.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:37 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

The car is actually pretty rare. 1 of 31 coupes in Cobalt blue and of those 31, only 2 came with a black interior.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:29 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Doc,

don't sell it man. seriously don't do it. car's a great color, it's got a black interior.

and you've replaced sooooo many parts with *quality oem.

sell the Mondial or one of the ****house rat VW's.

the work you've done has allowed you to daily drive it for at least ______ miles.

drive it, beat the crap out of it.... don't change nothing. and when the H20 pump fails sell the motor and call Eric Hill in Alvarado for the V8.

bargain if I ever heard one.

*(by Porsche standards anyway)
Old 12-29-2013, 02:21 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

I sold my Golf, and the GTI is for sale too. It's hard to sell a car with over 200k on the clock and a rough int. The 968 was fun, I learned some things, and it's a decent car. I get bored easily. I want to buy another couple of planes and sort them out. Thinking an amphibian this time. Also thinking of getting a small tailwheel old plane and put that right. I'm at my limit on guy toys so stuff hasta go.

Someone's going to get a nice 968. I've got a guy interested in trading for his plane, but he's only allowing about $5500 for my car in trade, and that's not going to happen. Maybe we'll find a middle ground, but I doubt it.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:25 PM
travisgreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
I sold my Golf, and the GTI is for sale too. It's hard to sell a car with over 200k on the clock and a rough int. The 968 was fun, I learned some things, and it's a decent car. I get bored easily. I want to buy another couple of planes and sort them out. Thinking an amphibian this time. Also thinking of getting a small tailwheel old plane and put that right. I'm at my limit on guy toys so stuff hasta go. Someone's going to get a nice 968. I've got a guy interested in trading for his plane, but he's only allowing about $5500 for my car in trade, and that's not going to happen. Maybe we'll find a middle ground, but I doubt it.
Did you post a pic? My app on my iPad isn't showing one, or if u have a link that would be fine also...
Old 12-29-2013, 02:26 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
The car is actually pretty rare. 1 of 31 coupes in Cobalt blue and of those 31, only 2 came with a black interior.
Were the 17" wheels a common upgrade? I have a feeling that many buyers went with the bigger wheels. It makes the car quite a bit more aggressive looking with the fender wells filled. I know the uprated stereo was common and I'm guessing the big wheels were as well.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:51 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

I posted it on my choosing the right car thread.

good luck with sale.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...l#post11010085
Old 12-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

WOW! Cobalt Blue looks absolutely fantastic! I love blue cars

I've got nothing better to do today at work, so here's a picture of a cobalt blue coupe I found if it helps the cause.

I bet yours looks just as brilliant from what the description says.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:18 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Yeah, Cobalt is a fine blue color. I did my wheels in dark slate charcoal and red calipers. I also have the painted wing, so it does look a lot like that, just with darker wheels.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:37 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Thought I had more pictures, here's one soon after Doc picked it up, and yes the body has all it's bits now.. Good looking car.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:19 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Hey thanks Sean. For anyone contemplating the car, Sean is in for some profit share due to his extensive work and assistance, as well as tool loan(I'll get that tri-square back eventually). His contributions will be amply rewarded with PBR, and maybe even some Mich Ultra. I might even spring for a pie from Hunt's or Papa John.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Cobalt Blue is an awesome Porsche color, whether on a 968, 928, or 964, you name it & it looks smokin! GLWS!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:37 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

On Dallas CL today. Oh - no crackpot jokes about my ad copy either. yur jus jealous, neener-neener!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4270754549.html
Old 01-03-2014, 04:13 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by docmirror
On Dallas CL today. Oh - no crackpot jokes about my ad copy either. yur jus jealous, neener-neener!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4270754549.html

Chebby? you suck man.

tino
Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soltino
Chebby? you suck man.

tino
Muuh??? Why the haterade? Are you a buyer, or poser? You got a Chebby you need to get rid of? Tell you what, I'll take a 1964-69 Chebby Corvair Turbo convertible.

Hope that makes you a skosh happier.

Quick Reply: 92 for sale to good home