Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 06:23 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ectorid=229466

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4237018731.html

Then you have ~$110,000 left over for a nice Bonanza, or maybe an early Cirrus. Or, you could jump on that F-360 you had your eye on, and still have some left over for a trip to Polynesia with a nice cooter.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:03 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one on eBay is the one from Matt Drendel's collection that sold at auction for 72k
Info about it from that auction
17. – 1994 Porsche 968 Turbo S Clone
Chassis WP0AA2961RS820772
Estimate: $45,000 – $55,000, Without Reserve
If you are thinking this is your typical 968 Turbo S, think again. Mr. Lloyd Hawkins, then owner of the prototype 968 Turbo RS s/n 820065 and the owner of Rennsport Porsche in Louisiana wanted nothing less than a road going version of his 968 Turbo RS prototype.
In collaboration with Porsche Motorsport North America and Porsche Motorsport in Germany, the trio of experts went to work on Mr. Hawkins wish. When they were finished, they created a true one off beast! If ever there was a “Wolf in Sheep’s clothing”, this is it.
Able to produce over 500 horsepower at the wheels from it’s 3.0 liter 4 cylinder engine at 26 psi or about 1.75 bar, with a quick change to racing “slick tires”, this car would be at home on any race track, or by simply switching back to “street tires”, you could set the cruise control on for a long journey down the interstate.
While the project was no doubt expensive, costing over $200,000 dollars and over 1800 man hours to complete, the project was a huge success! NO detail was overlooked. Carrillo “H-Beam” connecting rods were used, along with Mahle pistons, an actual 968 Turbo RS 3.0 liter racing engine block, ARP studs, three angle valve cuts, “O” ringed heads, stainless steel brake lines, 964 Turbo S brakes with ABS, adjustable coil over springs with Bilstein shocks, adjustable sway bars, carbon fiber clutch, 968 Turbo RS G44/01 transmission with limited slip differential, and that is just to name a few, all the correct parts to go racing with are present and accounted for.
Inside the car however, it features many comfort amenities, such as heated leather Porsche sport seats, Porsche/Alpine Hi-Fi stereo system with 6 disc changer, power steering, front airbags, rear foldable seats, full lightweight carpet (without sound deadening material) throughout, air conditioning, removable/tilting sunroof, power windows, power rear window wiper and even a fully functioning adjustable rear wing to add or remove downforce at the rear of the car as needed.
This 968 Turbo RS really embodies the “best of both worlds”‘ and in some ways pays homage to the great racing cars of the past. The racing cars that could truly be driven to the track to compete, and then be driven home again. It is, without question, one of Mr. Drendel’s favorite street cars. He was once quoted as saying, “For me, this car is much more fun to drive than my 959 Sport. With a perfect 50/50 weight distribution, once I got my set up dialed in just right within the suspension, there isn’t anything else I would do to change this car, I don’t know how it could possibly get any better.”
That is high praise indeed!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 89 944 turbo's were something special. My older brother had one for 6 years (blk/blk, 220 option, sport seats) in the 1990's before taking a p car hiatus. As his little brother it was suiting I had the less potent standard model. He's now in a 997.1 GT3 RS but I digress.

Here's a Canadian spec'd vehicle for sale: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nv...199724750.html

IMHO the 968 turbo (S and RS) is up there with unicorns and the tooth fairy. Because of their rarity it's just near impossible to determine "fair market value" especially in the case of clones. For those that were built outside of Stuttgart it's only worth what the buyer will pay. Not to take away from the utter sweetness of the car itself, they are potent, rare and beautiful.

There are some really nice examples out there.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:24 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think a 951 and 968 turbo are interchangeable. You either want one or the other. There is no point in comparing the two. As a matter of fact, most 968 owners are ex 951/944 owners. If they wanted a 951, they would have never changed to a 968. This is by no means is a knock at 951's or its owners, just a personal preference.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedBump
The one on eBay is the one from Matt Drendel's collection that sold at auction for 72k
Info about it from that auction

Interesting! Nice 50k profit if they can flip it.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

@Speedbump

Thank you for the whole story.

If I hadn't read that then I would have come to the same conclusion as Doc.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:40 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a Maroon! Thought this car looked vaguely familiar! I was at the Goodings Auction at Amelia Island in Feb 2012 when the Drendel collection & this 968 Turbo Clone sold(Thanks to Don!). I took more than a few pics of this car. Even the pic when it sold on the auction block. Looked very awesome & like new condition in person I must say. You can even see the odo in the interior pic at 11,535. Don't think they ever opened the hood, but I do remember they letting you open hoods if you wanted. Least some people opened doors/hoods on some of the cars without being pounced on by any security! Wish I'd gotten a look & photo of the engine now.
Attached Images     
Old 12-11-2013, 10:43 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
If this car has some of the original parts, then thats worth some serious $$. Most of the parts are NLA, which makes it almost impossible to build one with factory correct parts now. They have not shared much details as to what is factory and what is not. Looks like a decent conversion. I would atleast have thrown a turbo S splitter to make it look right.

BTW $15k does not buy a nice 968 with such low miles. Car itself has to be worth close to $25k.

Raj,

Is your car a Factory Turbo S?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:45 PM
travisgreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think a 951 and 968 turbo are interchangeable. You either want one or the other. There is no point in comparing the two. As a matter of fact, most 968 owners are ex 951/944 owners. If they wanted a 951, they would have never changed to a 968. This is by no means is a knock at 951's or its owners, just a personal preference.
I'm in the process of building a 968 turbo but I wouldn't ever sell the 951
Old 12-12-2013, 01:48 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

I think one of you true believers should pony up and write the check. Is it better than a 951 Turbo S? Maybe. Is it TEN times better than a 951 Turbo S? Prove me wrong, write the check.

Doesn't change the fact that when it left Porsche it was a plain Jane 968 coupe. Sellers don't set prices, buyers set prices. I learned that long ago in the housing market.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:02 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

I don't think a 951 and 968 turbo are interchangeable.
I happen to agree with this. Sadly, we aren't talking about a 968 Turbo. We are talking about a 968 with a 951 turbo engine and trans added. There are 14 actual 968 Turbo S, and I think 4 968 turbo RS. If we were talking about a real 968 Turbo S, I could see the +$100k price. So, I don't disagree that the two markets are different. But again - we don't have a 968 turbo S, we have a base 968 highly modified.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:07 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
............ Sellers don't set prices, buyers set prices. I learned that long ago in the housing market.
Less there is a shortage of a specific desired commodity, especially in an appreciating market, then sellers can certainly set the price. That is especially true in real estate. I've seen that enough times during a growing market period as an appraiser for the past 30+ yrs. Regarding this car, I agree with you Doc, it is just a very nice low mileage 968 coupe that someone did an apparent good turbo conversion on. Certainly would not appear to warrant the current asking price. Honestly, I was surprised to see it command what it did at the Goodings Auction. Couldn't figure that just being Matt Drendel's car added any additional value. Thought perhaps the feeding frenzy of the moment brought the premium. It only takes one buyer who decides they want it.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:48 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MGW-Fla
Less there is a shortage of a specific desired commodity, especially in an appreciating market, then sellers can certainly set the price. That is especially true in real estate. I've seen that enough times during a growing market period as an appraiser for the past 30+ yrs.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Certainly the last 6 years in the RE market makes my point. Also, RE is not a commodity by the general definition. By it's very name "Real Estate", it is not a good, and it is not interchangeable or interdependent of origination(Kansas wheat is = to Iowa wheat) so an acre of Malibu CA RE is not the same as an acre of W TX RE.

Neither can the 968 be considered a commodity, so any rules based on commodity trading are invalid. This is kind of precisely my point. If a 968 is a 968 is a 968, then they should all be worth the same exact value. As we know, commditization of a market leads to uniformity, and this case is an example of wild non-uniformity.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:31 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 155
For those that were built outside of Stuttgart it's only worth what the buyer will pay
Since original cars seem to change hands every once in a blue moon it's also hard to say what they are worth. We also can't really say that this "market" is particularly open to anyone...

Considering the rarity of originals, I do believe that a clean and well-built replica should command a premium over a super low mileage, fully stock & unmolested NA 968 or late model 951. I see no reason why such replicas should not sell for at least the same as fully rebuilt 951 Cup cars, which seems to be between $30k and $50k. Maybe even more for cars using original block and/or transmission parts.

Last edited by Thom; 12-12-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:30 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fejjj
Raj, Is your car a Factory Turbo S?
Fejjj, no it's a replica using all factory parts except for a few.

It has all the factory body parts and drivetrain.

Quick Reply: 968 turbo S for sale for $120k on Ebay