First Time Porsche Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 02:55 PM
ArtVandalay
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default First Time Porsche Buyer

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I am 28 years old and live in Toronto, Ontario and have recently accepted a job that will allow me to purchase my first Porsche.

I have looked at 911's 86-89 and then newer Cayman's but I think I have settled on the 968.

Everything I have read on the 968 has been positive in regards to reliability and handling.

I was wondering what the consensus is on these boards about the 968 and what are the most reliable groups and dealerships in this area to take it to be looked at.

Here is a link to the car I am looking at:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...howcpo=ShowCPO

Thanks everyone for your help.

Any other advice for a first time Porsche buyer would be appreciated
Old 09-18-2013, 04:53 PM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned each vintage, front-engined, water-cooled model there is over the last 20 years. If you're in Cayman territory it's a no-brainer. Go with the new plastic and rubber vs. the 20+ year-old stuff.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:58 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Welcome to this place. The AutoTrader link says the car is gone so either you found your ride or you're still looking. There are a few things you need to look at before you pull the trigger. Because you're new at Porsches I'd suggest getting a Pre Purchase Inspection. Anyway, although you won't find many 968 guys there why not visit the Saturday GTG at Chapters. For more information go to the Canada Region sub forum.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:58 PM
BikePilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I certainly enjoy the 968. It's handling is fantastic, really communicative and easy to drive. Fun, simple, driver's car.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:04 PM
ArtVandalay
AutoX

Thanks guys,

As far as Cayman territory it would be more expensive so I could probably only afford 06/07.

I have been loving the 968 and I would definitely go to get a PPI, can they do it at any Porsche dealership, where would you recommend going for this in Toronto or surrounding areas?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:05 PM
ArtVandalay
AutoX

Originally Posted by JimV8
Welcome to this place. The AutoTrader link says the car is gone so either you found your ride or you're still looking. There are a few things you need to look at before you pull the trigger. Because you're new at Porsches I'd suggest getting a Pre Purchase Inspection. Anyway, although you won't find many 968 guys there why not visit the Saturday GTG at Chapters. For more information go to the Canada Region sub forum.
Thanks Jim I did read about this and I think I may come out to it .
Old 09-19-2013, 05:31 PM
ArtVandalay
AutoX

Also if anyone could let me know if they see any 968's for sale. Love the one's in the cool colours
Old 09-20-2013, 12:20 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

welcome....

Originally Posted by Evo Magazine

PORSCHE 968 CLUB SPORT
The end of the line for Porsche’s enduring front-engined family. By this time, the 968 (formerly 944) had been honed to something approaching dynamic perfection and, in stripped-down Club Sport guise, it’s better still. If any transaxle Porsche deserves its place in the hall of fame, this is surely the one. Not as desirable as a 911, but there may never be a better handling Porsche.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:50 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ArtVandalay
Hi All,

This is my first post here. I am 28 years old and live in Toronto, Ontario and have recently accepted a job that will allow me to purchase my first Porsche.

I have looked at 911's 86-89 and then newer Cayman's but I think I have settled on the 968.

Everything I have read on the 968 has been positive in regards to reliability and handling.

I was wondering what the consensus is on these boards about the 968 and what are the most reliable groups and dealerships in this area to take it to be looked at.

If you have a little patience & could wait mine will be up for sale early spring ,it's a 93 Coupe with 54k klms,color is Amazone Green Pearl Metalic,promise you you wouln't regret it.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Instructor

It starts with budget.

A Cayman if you can afford any year or variant is a no brainer (a la tamathumper). Get the Cayman.

If you want to spend less than $15k you can't go wrong with a clean and regularly maintained 968. They're one of Porsche's most reliable cars and pretty exclusive, at least here in Canada. 20 year old Porsche's are a labor of love so know what you're getting into and keep researching RL until you've got a good sense of what it takes to own these things.

Best of luck,

Hi All,

Old 09-20-2013, 03:58 PM
ArtVandalay
AutoX

Originally Posted by ernie9468
If you have a little patience & could wait mine will be up for sale early spring ,it's a 93 Coupe with 54k klms,color is Amazone Green Pearl Metalic,promise you you wouln't regret it.

Thanks for the heads up Ernie,

I am actually thinking early spring is exactly when I am looking to buy so this could work out well for me.

I'll PM you.

Thanks alot
Old 09-20-2013, 04:04 PM
ArtVandalay
AutoX

Originally Posted by 155
It starts with budget.

A Cayman if you can afford any year or variant is a no brainer (a la tamathumper). Get the Cayman.

If you want to spend less than $15k you can't go wrong with a clean and regularly maintained 968. They're one of Porsche's most reliable cars and pretty exclusive, at least here in Canada. 20 year old Porsche's are a labor of love so know what you're getting into and keep researching RL until you've got a good sense of what it takes to own these things.

Best of luck,
Thanks 155,

Appreciate the feedback, I love the exclusivity, reliability and the handling that they provide more then the top end speed of other models.

I will keep looking right now I think I like the lines of the coupe better then cab but I am open to either and I love the Signal green colour
Old 09-20-2013, 06:27 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Thanks for the heads up Ernie,

I am actually thinking early spring is exactly when I am looking to buy so this could work out well for me.

I'll PM you.

Thanks alot
Trying to send pics to you but having a hard time with the seize but here we go.
Attached Images           
Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Engine bay is immaculate. I must say your CS steering wheel/interior combo is stunning.

Last edited by 155; 09-22-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:37 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by 155
Engine bay is immaculate. I must say your CS steering wheel/interior combo is stunning.
Thank's for the positive comments,btw never though in my life that it will come to a point where I would sell my 968.But for those who know me here & are wondering why (health problems is the reason).

Quick Reply: First Time Porsche Buyer