968 Forum 1992-1995

Distributor rotor alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:59 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Distributor rotor alignment

I have noticed a very odd situation. Looks like the bottom most connector on the distributor cap is getting a grove formed from the rotor rubbing against it. I don't remember there being a way to align this. Just put the spacers and install the rotor. I just installed a new cap and rotor and heard arching sounds coming from the cap (brand new).

I took the cap off and noticed it having grooves on the bottom most connector (brand new again). Very odd. Has anyone ever experienced this? What was the fix?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:24 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Put the old distributor cap on with new rotor and no issues. could be a faulty brand new distributor.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:23 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Got a brand new unit and same rotor rubbing on the bottom most lead on the distributor. The reason the original cap does not make noise is because it already has a deep groove. All the other three leads look fine and have no grooves.

Took the distributor housing section out and the cam pulley and bolt are tight, so that can be ruled out.

Any other ideas?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:46 AM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, what condition are your front and rear sprocket covers in? Are they starting to corrode and deform?
Old 08-04-2013, 10:18 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Tama, the front is in decent shape but the rear could have seen better days. As you know, they are made of a material that is known to corrode (titanium?). I might have to take things apart to investigate further.

Can someone be kind enough and post pictures of their distributor cap electrodes. I get scoring on the bottom most electrode. The other 3 are perfect. Seems to be an alignment issue as suggested. The rotor sits on the cam sprocket, which is mounted to the rear cam sprocket cover and the distributor cap mounts to the front cam sprocket cover. The two seem to be out of alignment by a bit.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 PM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

Raj, the covers are magnesium. When the magnesium boss on our covers corrode in half, such as what happened to mine, it grows apart. Thus causing the covers to warp.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:15 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dougs968
Raj, the covers are magnesium. When the magnesium boss on our covers corrode in half, such as what happened to mine, it grows apart. Thus causing the covers to warp.
Doug, that is exactly what is happening in my case.

Raj

Quick Reply: Distributor rotor alignment