Parade Prep

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 PM
dkdm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parade Prep

Let the fun begin!

So about a week before going to St Charles, IL in 2010. I pulled the clutch and did some lube on the bearings as I was looking for a slight squeak. Found the noise but ended up getting some anti seize on the disc so I had to pull it again like two days before the parade (no biggie just a 4 hour drive).

Skipped 2011 parade- I think I was working on some other car

Last year started about a month out and did belts, water pump, cam chain/pads, and some other clean up. before leaving St Louis for Salt Lake. No troubles ran great!

If you think my Parade Prep is about wax you're wrong (maybe next year) Started oil pan gasket, motor mounts, rod bearings, lower balance shaft cover and some shiny new Ground Control struts (okay I may wax those ). I kind of know what I'm doing as I just did the pan, bearings and mounts on the high mileage 93 I have.

Started Friday night and worked through the weekend got most of it torn down -

Read all about doing LBS with exhaust manifold and motor mount in the car. Not on my car upper left left bolt on cover would not clear the manifold, I pulled both 1/4 and 2/3 exhaust for the room. Those are some expensive O-rings for the exhaust!

I pulled pan as well but won't touch the bearings until the belt's back on (just in case I forget the flywheel lock is in place).

Hope to finish engine by this weekend then I can start on suspension.

Now where did those microfiber towels go
Old 06-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope to see you there! Look for the silver/orange S2, the Cassis red 968 cab and the silver rose turbo S. That will be my group.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:39 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm doing parade prep for 2015!
Old 06-05-2013, 03:01 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 968gene
I'm doing parade prep for 2015!
Going to be ready for Kentucky??
Old 06-05-2013, 04:05 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ramius665
Going to be ready for Kentucky??
Is that the location for 2015? How about 2014?

I'll know next week if I'm going to make it to MI. Registration closes on 6/15.

Jeff
Old 06-05-2013, 04:14 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

2014 is going to be Monterey, CA.

I'm planning to go to that one. Will probably skip ALL other events so I have the cash and vacation time to make it.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:17 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
2014 is going to be Monterey, CA.

I'm planning to go to that one. Will probably skip ALL other events so I have the cash and vacation time to make it.
Omni GLH!!! I hate to admit it but I know what that is. I used to be a fan. The eighties were difficult times for car fans. My first new car was an 85 Dodge Shelby Charger with a 2.0 Turbo. I visited the Shelby plant in CA in the late eighties. My second new car was a 1990 Dodge Shadow with a 2.0 VNT intercooled Turbo. I remember the GLH, I drove a GLH-S!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 PM
dkdm
Instructor

Posted back from my phone looks like it got hung up......
Dougs951
We'll look for you!
Gene
Hopefully 2015 will be somewhere near NC that would be good for us.

------------------------------------------------------
So is Kentucky "cat out da bag" stuff?
If so I could do that may even try to bring both cars like ramius665 to Salt Lake, just not as far to stay in formation. I'd have to ask my cool wife if she wanted to drive "beat up" or "not so...".

Prep is progressing..........
Lots of cleaning, waiting on parts, adding new parts orders, more cleaning, waiting on more parts, you know what I mean! And adding job to the list, wheel bearing adjustment, installing reconditioned injectors, and fuel filter.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:19 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

l had two of them in a former life. Fun cars when they ran. My gold one had a glhs intercooler, ported head, big turbo, custom electronics. 250hp and 2300lbs, fun ride

Originally Posted by jeff968
Omni GLH!!! I hate to admit it but I know what that is. I used to be a fan. The eighties were difficult times for car fans. My first new car was an 85 Dodge Shelby Charger with a 2.0 Turbo. I visited the Shelby plant in CA in the late eighties. My second new car was a 1990 Dodge Shadow with a 2.0 VNT intercooled Turbo. I remember the GLH, I drove a GLH-S!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dkdm
------------------------------------------------------
So is Kentucky "cat out da bag" stuff?
If so I could do that may even try to bring both cars like ramius665 to Salt Lake, just not as far to stay in formation. I'd have to ask my cool wife if she wanted to drive "beat up" or "not so...".
Well, knowing that we aren't going to do the road trip to Parade next year, I started investigating the possible locations of Parade 2015. I came up with following link to a Kentucky-based PCA region:

http://kypca.org/information/meeting...g-minutes.html

Looks interesting, we haven't been back to KY since 2007.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:51 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Aaron,
Are you heading to MI in 2 weeks?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:01 PM
tamathumper
Racer

I am, but I'm more going to meet up with family the second weekend, like Thursday through Monday, than for the Parade events. (I haven't registered yet as a result, but I might be lurking around if I can...)
Old 06-08-2013, 11:22 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How many 968's can we expect to see? I will be coming but will be bringing the 928 since I now have that car where I want it. The 968 needs some things before I take it to a show.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:19 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
Aaron,
Are you heading to MI in 2 weeks?
Yup, and only taking the 968 this year. It'll be the 968's concours debut as well!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 PM
dkdm
Instructor

Aaron,
That's great! So I guess your parade prep is different than mine

So I had a little scare last weekend and I'm not sure I even want to mention it. I had two maybe three/four oil pan bolts that either pulled the threads out of the block or are going to if I get all the way to 6 foot lbs. I had no problems doing this on the other car and I follow instructions like no one else! The only thing that could have caused this was someone else doing previous work but I don't think so or when I used the stud method to hold the gasket in place (not sure if the ones that stripped are the exact ones). I don't have picture from this car but basically you cut some heads off the bolts and install gasket and pan then once you get the regular bolt going in you pull the studs. I didn't put them that far in on this car and remember I had to pull a little sideways on them (by hand) a little to get the pan to line up.

Anyway as I was going through the third step in tightening the bolts I had one let go probably at around 4 foot lbs. then I had another (same side but about three bolts away) feel like it was stripping. I dialed the torque down to about 5 and got the rest then I put my torque wrench to 6 and I had another one pull. So on the last one (#19) I was able to put in a slightly longer bolt and I took it to 4 foot lbs. The other one that pulled out I put RTV on it and was able to get it started and maybe 3 foot lbs. then I
stopped.

I took a 24 hour break and researched heli-coil install or using studs/nuts I really did not want to do that one week out from the parade, so I put everything together and crossed my fingers. Ran the car for 30/40 minutes no leaks. Several days later still no leaks. I know it wont last 100k so I'll be I there again. It just kinda sucks that it happened and I'm more worried about really screwing something up while trying to fix it

So anyway here's some progress pictures:
Parts ready for clean up.

Looks like this motor mount has been broken for awhile!

After the LBS I worked on the rod bearings and replaced the oil pick up (no cracks on this one or the 1/4 million mile car.

I used a jack under the dolly and lifted both into position.

Off to finish up the Ground Control suspension. Alignment scheduled for Tuesday morning, then maybe I'll pull out the microfiber towels for some cleaning.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Parade Prep