968 Forum 1992-1995

Variocam - Sounds Like Crap

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Oh yeah it's Paul from the D2 A8/S8 forum. Hi Paul.
The 968 can get a chain slap sound but that is usually super scary and indicative of a really blown variocam unit and a chain that is slapping the cam cover. There is also lifter noise from lifters that are low on oil and/or plugged up, and in this case some time and clean detergent oil might have sorted that. A third noise is a weird little 'braaap' noise the variocam makes when it's somewhat worn, I think when it activates/deactivates. I am not sure what causes it, maybe slow activation or looseness in the piston in the middle causing it to shake until it's fully extended.

A clacking is usually not chain slap but rather lifters not fully pumped up, the last time I did a 4v head I almost reached for the Rislone when the noise quieted on it's own. I had not soaked the lifters before assembly.

Cheers,
-Joel.
I was surprised when I haven't seen anybody I know on any of the 968/944 forums I follow. I love the 968!
Old 09-11-2013, 04:32 AM
jax
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Interesting read. So how many minutes/hours did you run the engine before the noise went away?
The first time, I let her run for just a while and then shut her off due to the noise. Later that day I ran her until she reached operating temperature. A bunch of oil started leaking out from the area behind the crankshaft cam gear. When I had everything opened up I had pulled off some loose silicon near the oil pan gasket while doing some cleaning. I thought for sure I gave myself a big oil leak or I damaged the oil pump gear o-ring or something. The bad sounds and the oil wher the reasons I quite driving her 4 months ago.
Occasionally I would move her from parking spot to parking spot, and I would start her up once a month, but I never let her run long. After the move, and once the garage was cleared out I literally started her up and went to do a three point turn to face her in the garage forward and right as she rolled in the garage, the clicking went away. I was very confused and got out to rev her from the engine bay. She sounded good so I let her continue to run so I could see if the leak came back.
Today I buttoned her all up (except for belly pan) and took her for a 20 minute drive with about half on freeway and she appears to be leak free.

I am extremely happy to have my 968 back, I really did miss driving her.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:34 AM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sniff...sniff...I just love a happy ending!! Glad it all worked out.

Quick Reply: Variocam - Sounds Like Crap