Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:06 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White

It's where the sensor is that let's the DME know that there is sufficient oil pressure to make the Vario cam function.

the other day i allowed my car to hiccup in gear while jogging it across the lawn to wash it. i didn't want to tear up any grass, but it almost stalled. then i pulled it into neutral, and now the check oil light is on full time. i've since taken a trip, so i'm pretty sure the car is fine (4 bars on the needle).... i wonder if the reason Porsche did this thing of having the oil light come on on a cough and then having it stay on has something to do with the sensor noted above.

Last edited by odurandina; 09-28-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
the other day i allowed my car to hiccup in gear while jogging it across the lawn to wash it. i didn't want to tear up any grass, but it almost stalled. then i pulled it into neutral, and now the check oil light is on full time. i've since taken a trip, so i'm pretty sure the car is fine... i wonder if the reason Porsche did this thing of having the oil light come on on a cough and then having it stay on. i've got the normal 4 bars on the needle.
That's a different sensor. On the oil filter console there is an oil pressure sensor that operates the gauge and light. Two separate wires are connected to the sensor - I am guessing hat one of yours has come off.
The sensor in the head is prt of the vaiocam system and it not connected to the gauges.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

thanks.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Krst
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for good words and specially Chris White for sharing that kind of info, your build is very nice.

Yes, video is in Estonian, thatswhy I didn't post it here as our language is very unlikely to be understood.

Currently I have been to only one top speed challange:
(very bad driving from my side but as it was the first time I raced with this car then I wanted to be very careful) 0-1mile 292kmh

Next year I plan to participate in more events (drag,top speed, trackdays) as this season was very short for me due to KEP stage 2 cluth failure.

And Crhis is right the engine is from 944 S2, but I have the original 968 variocam eninge still in my garage. I didn't know about the head strenght issue so it's good that I haven't sold the 968 engine...
Oilcooler is 32ribs, should be enough.

Our goal was to focus on details surrounding the engine (so later we could focus on only the engine itself, thatswhy this thread here ) so it's very nice that you ll noticed it.

Heres some more custom fabrication picutres:
custom engine mount to fit bigger turbo

little machine work to fit the turbo

custom oil return

custom heatshield

and the plastic oil filler melted so it had to be replaced

So far I have found from here alot of useful info, thank you all, winter is coming so I have some time to think what to do for next summer.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

It's where the sensor is that let's the DME know that there is sufficient oil pressure to make the Vario cam function.
Are you sure it's a pressure sensor? I looked at one up close and it looks like a temperature sensor.

Krst, thanks for the pictures, beautiful car and beautiful build!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:08 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Krst, tell us about the KEP ii failure? Was it the fork that broke? They have a bit of a reputation of this happening.

Assume that video is of your 0-1km run. 6500rpm in 5th equates to 240kph. So you hit 290kmh in 6th gear? How did the car feel and do you have any aero additions to the body?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 AM
968tcab
Intermediate

Are you running your catch can to your valve cover openings? Since your oil fill is now all aluminum, where are you venting your pressure/ separator etc.
thanks,
Mike
Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Krst
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Krst, tell us about the KEP ii failure? Was it the fork that broke? They have a bit of a reputation of this happening.

Assume that video is of your 0-1km run. 6500rpm in 5th equates to 240kph. So you hit 290kmh in 6th gear? How did the car feel and do you have any aero additions to the body?

Clutch just cracked from 2 places (only one crack on picture)

Video is 0-1mile run with a result of 292kmh, 0-1km was 250kmh

I'm using 944 S2 gearbox and have only 5 gears. Car acted very good during that run, no problems. Only change from factory aero is front splitter and rear rs style spoiler.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Are you sure it's a pressure sensor? I looked at one up close and it looks like a temperature sensor.

Krst, thanks for the pictures, beautiful car and beautiful build!
Yes, the DME will not try to operate the Vario Cam it there is not enough hydraulic pressure to make it work.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:59 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, the DME will not try to operate the Vario Cam it there is not enough hydraulic pressure to make it work.
I think we may not be talking about the same sensor.
The one I'm talking about picks oil temp in the lateral oil vein on the intake side and is located near the 3rd intake runner. See pic below.

As for the pressure sensor, sorry but I can't figure out where it is...?

Sorry Krst for the slight OT...
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Krst

I'm using 944 S2 gearbox and have only 5 gears.

ok, i too was thinking "where's 6th gear ?"

love this video ! and this might be the fastest pass of a 968 ever caught on tape.

but just so i can sleep tonight, what combo of gears and tires makes 181 mph in 5th ?

sounds like this would be a pretty good combo for anyone running a mid-hp V8.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Krst
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by odurandina
ok, i too was thinking "where's 6th gear ?"

love this video ! and this might be the fastest pass of a 968 ever caught on tape.

but just so i can sleep tonight, what combo of gears and tires makes 181 mph in 5th ?

sounds like this would be a pretty good combo for anyone running a mid-hp V8.
I was not in rev limiter in 5th, if I would not have missed 3rd gear then could have got a little more
Heres info about rim/gearratio etc (in mph, yellow column):

And the same run from a different angle
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 PM
TurboCab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello:
Speaking about the 968 16v head on a turbocharging application, I has been using it including the variocam for about 8 years may be more. Not a problem at all up to know. My engine is completelly stock, except for a set of Carrillo rods and raceware studs all the way. I use my car regularly. It is not a dedicated track car but I have participated on speed tests (1/2 mile) a some drag racing. I have done a lot of dyno pulls. My boost controller have two boost settings, 13 psi and 22 psi. Most of the time is in low boost setting but all the dyno puls and the race is in high boost. I feel there is a lot of incorrect information about the variocam. My approach was simple, use it in the position to optimize power by turning it on (Or off. I don't remember. I may need to hook up to the Motec to find out) at some point in the rpm range. I NEVER has or have a reliabity problem with my setup.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Krst
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TurboCab
Hello:
Speaking about the 968 16v head on a turbocharging application, I has been using it including the variocam for about 8 years may be more. Not a problem at all up to know. My engine is completelly stock, except for a set of Carrillo rods and raceware studs all the way. I use my car regularly. It is not a dedicated track car but I have participated on speed tests (1/2 mile) a some drag racing. I have done a lot of dyno pulls. My boost controller have two boost settings, 13 psi and 22 psi. Most of the time is in low boost setting but all the dyno puls and the race is in high boost. I feel there is a lot of incorrect information about the variocam. My approach was simple, use it in the position to optimize power by turning it on (Or off. I don't remember. I may need to hook up to the Motec to find out) at some point in the rpm range. I NEVER has or have a reliabity problem with my setup.
What kind of hp/nm numbers does your setup produce on 13 and 22 psi of boost ?
Old 09-18-2019, 10:56 AM
DEMETRIOS
Rennlist Member

Where is the variocam?
This is a non variocam head.

Quick Reply: 968 turbo