Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

had some bad 968 news today

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:25 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

sorry to hear.

hope you can find a way to keep her.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:30 AM
MN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a real nightmare.

As I recall our conversation in Thomasville, you absolutely want more power, and therefore, I think you won't be happy with a stock 968 motor even when fixed.

I feel a clean cut might be the best, either sell the car or do a V8 swap.

MN
Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MN
Sounds like a real nightmare.

As I recall our conversation in Thomasville, you absolutely want more power, and therefore, I think you won't be happy with a stock 968 motor even when fixed.

I feel a clean cut might be the best, either sell the car or do a V8 swap.

MN
Hey Markus, its been a long time!

And you are correct of course. theres also the turbo option and going 8 valve so that would alleviate those concerns in addition to the v8 and outright selling it. just stinks that its selling at a loss rather than when it was running great. then again some poor guy would be dealing with this right now instead of me...
Old 09-15-2013, 07:35 PM
MN
Racer

Hey Markus, its been a long time!
Chris, yes it has.

theres also the turbo option and going 8 valve
Do you mean, 3.0 block, 2.7 head, 944 turbo plumbing, and low compression pistons. (Possibly together with a piggy back system or a Standalone Engine Management System for safe operation.) Looks a lot of $$$$ to me.

just stinks that its selling at a loss
Be aware of the classical trap of the "Sunk-Cost Fallacy". The right way to decide whether to keep going is ONLY by looking forward, and NOT by looking back what already has been spent in money and effort. For all practical purposes, what has already been spent is gone.

MN
Old 09-15-2013, 07:38 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
so heres the story now. to properly remove the metal particles from the motor, would require an engine out deal. with the cost of removal and putting everything back together, my mechanic recommends parting the thing out. I really don't want to do that and ive not driven the car for so long now that i thought i'd list it for sale for a reasonable price on here so someone else can fix her up and enjoy her. If theres any interest, ill post a for sale thread with pics and more info etc... its not perfect cosmetically but thats what i liked about it. a solid daily driver or so i thought.

we looked at a number of options ranging from 6-12,000 dollars. (simple "clean up" rebuild, rebuild with performance in mind, ls1, turbo, etc...) But dropping even that much after spending 5500 on this exact same issue earlier this year, not to mention 15 grand on suspension, interior, and exhaust work over the past 5 years of ownership is super depressing. on top of that it could use a respray.

I love the 968 but its just not worth having 35-40 grand invested in one. (unless its a replica turbo )
Sorry to hear your dilemma. Hope things work out for you. As far as replica's, they can be in the $35-$40k range or $100-$125k range .
Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MN
Chris, yes it has.

Do you mean, 3.0 block, 2.7 head, 944 turbo plumbing, and low compression pistons. (Possibly together with a piggy back system or a Standalone Engine Management System for safe operation.) Looks a lot of $$$$ to me.

Be aware of the classical trap of the "Sunk-Cost Fallacy". The right way to decide whether to keep going is ONLY by looking forward, and NOT by looking back what already has been spent in money and effort. For all practical purposes, what has already been spent is gone.

MN
all very true. i was thinking of 2.5 turbo head, thick head gasket and stock pistons for a relatively low boost application. not happening anymore regardless but it was my plan for some time. and you're right about the sunk cost premise. there is such a thing as throwing good money after bad as well though...
Old 09-15-2013, 08:01 PM
MN
Racer

i was thinking of 2.5 turbo head, thick head gasket and stock pistons
My current understanding is that a 2.5 head won't work on a 3.0 block without modification, one needs a 2.7 head (in order for the cooling passages to line up). There has been mixed opinions and experiences with lowering compression via a thick head gasket or layers of head gaskets.

Unless you decide to sell the car, a V8 conversion might very well be the best option.

MN

Last edited by MN; 09-15-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:03 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MN
My current understanding is that a 2.5 head won't work on a 3.0 block without modification, one needs a 2.7 head (in order for the cooling passages to line up). There has been mixed opinions and experiences with lowering compression via a thick head gasket or layers of head gaskets.

Unless you decide to sell the car, a V8 conversion might very well be the best option.

MN
there's certainly a degree of uncertainty about the headgasket solution but it would in fact be a modified head. At this point im leaning towards selling the car/parting it out so my turbo ideas are most likely moot anyways!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:09 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Sorry to hear your dilemma. Hope things work out for you. As far as replica's, they can be in the $35-$40k range or $100-$125k range .
Sorry Raj, just saw your post, and thanks for the kind words!

and yeah im getting close to the 30-40 mark minus the sweet sweet turboness. and thats the problem...
Old 09-16-2013, 08:56 AM
MN
Racer

im leaning towards selling the car/parting it out
Sorry to read that it may come to that. I know how much you liked your 968.

MN
Old 06-19-2014, 06:25 PM
firemn131
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow! Just came upon this thread. I was doing a timing belt search. So Sorry to hear!!
I may be in the same boat.
I found this car in a junk yard.
92 968 coupe. interior great, body good, paint bad.
Previous owner took it to this guy who owns the yard.
I found it torn down to do tb job. mech had head and valves redone. It sat for 6 years.

Cams look great. I took the head off anyway pistons/cyl look great.
I paid 2K for the car.
I have replace cam chain and pads, cleaned everything. Cleaned lifters. install cams and tensioner. Tested tensioner solenoid. (I have an extra tensioner and solenoiod just in case.)
Mechanic said that thetensioner failed, and at the time he did not know how to put it back together. He was bent on saying that the mechanics in the tensioner failed (there are none), so he walked away. I have doubts about the tensioner failing. He said valves were bent and there is minor evidence of that on the piston tops. Engine turns freely.

I am at the point now of installing the Timing belt and all associated components. He had already done the WP.

Am I missing something???
I suspect that it was a TB fail. The cams had all good teeth. If the vario had failed, wouldnt there be evidence on the cams too? Or, could it have skipped a tooth and kept running while bending the valves and NOT hurt the cam teeth?

I am hoping to put TB back together and see if it starts? Any suggestions before I turn the key?
I have never done anything in the bottom half of the engine. This will be my 14 year olds car. So, time is not critical. But, I dont want to dump a bunch into it before i know the health of the drive train. I have my 928 S4 sitting with the engine out calling me!!!

thnx for input

John
Old 06-20-2014, 08:23 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

if anyone finds themselves with a tensioner, wp or belt failure,

i have a head, with unbent valves and good camshafts available.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:06 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I would agree if the cam chain tensioner fails, the chain would eventually snap and take cam teeth with it. I have seen it before. A lot of people mistake the timing belt tensioner for the cam chain tensioner. 2 different items that both require service.
I would feel safe if all the cam teeth are intact.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:19 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Hey John, Cam teeth would not be intact i would assume. Sounds like you have all your bases covered if the head and valves are redone, youve seen the tops of the pistions and youve replaced the chain guides/tensioner etc.

the second time my car went down, the only reason i knew something was wrong was that it was making the same noise as before. no visible symptoms on the cams or chain. Im sure a result of low oil pressure from metal particles.

Good luck with your build, start a thread!

EDIT: oops, what raj said.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:40 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

It's all good sydneyman.
Thumbs up!

Quick Reply: had some bad 968 news today