Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

had some bad 968 news today

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:02 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep the wife happy with the pool= more UPS delivered Porsche parts with no questions asked= everyone wins
Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to say, stop before you write a huge check. cams, tensioner pads and r/r should cost a total of $600 IMO.

The pads can be ordered separately from the tensioner, they are like $30.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:40 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Chris,

do you know i was in Asheville back in what was it, late Feb ?

21 feb. yep. very nice place. snow covered mountains. brrrrrrr.

2 days later North Carolina was baking in spring warmth....

missed it by thatttt much.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:22 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikt
Keep the wife happy with the pool= more UPS delivered Porsche parts with no questions asked= everyone wins
this is true! although im doing it backwards right now... whatever this will cost is coming straight out of the pool fund... i know i know, im young and not a broken, defeated shell of a man yet. i khave no illusions that i will become one. but not yet. nooooot yet...

Originally Posted by Dougs951
I was going to say, stop before you write a huge check. cams, tensioner pads and r/r should cost a total of $600 IMO.

all of that together including r and r for 600!?! im not sure its going to be that cheap... hes also doing the timing belt since it needs to be loosened anyways... im hoping it'll be under 600 without the cams i got from Steve... but im kind of the king of "while-you're-in-there-ville" so that may change...

Originally Posted by odurandina
Chris,

no way! what were you doing up here? you need to make it back! there are more curvy roads here than you can shake a stick at! or in my case, a busted camshaft!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:24 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

ok i see what you're saying now. you thought i was buying a tensioner to replace the pads... that would be... silly of me. thanks for the heads up though!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:43 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea a lot of shops will quote for the whole tensioner replacement only.

Btw pics of the damage! That is really lucky you arent writing a thread on a dead 968.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:50 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
actually thats what my indy in Hendersonville said. he actually had an S2 block with a cracked tensioner in the shop! not only that, but it was cracked down one of the spark plug holes! pads and chain were inspected at the last timing belt change 20000 miles ago and they were excellent. in fact they were in great shape yesterday. im having all of that replaced anyways along with the new timing belt service. car has 91000 miles btw. he took some pics to send to me of what happened so im looking forward to seeing exactly what happened. he was very surprised to say the least to see so many missing teeth on the exhaust cam but still be in perfect time... 1/2 full indeed!
The biggest reason is the redesign of the 968 tensioner. It mounts at 3 different points instead of the S2, which mounts are 2 points and tends to sheer off during tensioner failure. When you think about it, it makes sense. 1st the tensioner pad goes, this makes the chain stretch beyond its normal and now it starts to hit the cam teeth. This sheers the teeth off.
I worked on a friend's car where the exact same thing happened. Only difference, he was dumb enough to keep driving. Bent valves, sheered cam teeth etc. It was a big mess and when the pan was dropped, the missing teeth were found. You were very smart indeed.

Last edited by RajDatta; 07-20-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:53 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

One cannot inspect the tensioner pads without actually removing the cams and tensioner. Too many times, you overlook the deep grooves that form on the bottom cam. At that point, it makes sense to spend the $60 and have piece of mind. Seen this plenty of times.
This is a must for cars reaching 100k. I would make it a service item for anyone approaching 80k.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
The biggest reason is the redesign of the 968 tensioner. It mounts at 3 different points instead of the S2, which mounts are 2 points and tends to sheer off during tensioner failure. When you think about it, it makes sense. 1st the tensioner pad goes, this make the chain stretch beyond its normal and now it starts to hit the cam teeth. This sheers the teeth off.
I worked on a friend's car where the exact same thing happened. Only difference, he was dumb enough to keep driving. Bent valves, sheered cam teeth etc. It was a big mess and when the pan was dropped, the missing where found. You were very smart indeed.
whats crazy is that the pads were fine! his best guess is that the exhaust cam seized a little on a cold startup... but its all guesswork at this point. and i didn't know that about the difference in tensioners, makes sense.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Yea a lot of shops will quote for the whole tensioner replacement only.

Btw pics of the damage! That is really lucky you arent writing a thread on a dead 968.
ill ask him to send me the carnage pics today... and you're exactly right, i was a wild hair away from taking it out for a spin to see if it was a dead lifter... and also, the knock wasn't much louder than the injectors. in fact i couldn't really hear it inside the car at all... scary stuff!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
Chris,

I was in Asheville in early February, and there was no snow to be found anywhere. Looks like you picked just the right time to go.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:29 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

everyone comes to Asheville, no one visits sydneyman!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:36 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

btw,

if i drive the car nice and the maintenance and repairs reach a practical limit (close to the value of the car),

over a very short period time frame or just a few thousand miles....

at what point do i get to call the engine an over-the top, bloated, mid-level performance bucket of bolts ? ? ?

or should i just be happy the cars don't cost $43~53 K anymore (not even adjusted for inflation), and kindly shut the f_ck up ?

or maybe just drive the car like a f_cking ******* and call it even ?

of course,

in my case neither of these scenarios has taken place.

i'm basically one lucky bastard who has no right whatsoever to complain.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:24 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
everyone comes to Asheville, no one visits sydneyman!
I wasn't on Rennlist back then. My brother-in-law lives in Fletcher, so I do get down there occasionally though.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:15 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

so here are some pics. i think he might take more once the cams come out... 3 out of 4 pieces were found sitting on top of my head under the valve cover which leaves one tooth unaccounted for... hopefully its just unseen under the cams or something... fun stuff!
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: had some bad 968 news today