968 Forum 1992-1995

Oil pressure relief valve re-assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Oil pressure relief valve re-assembly

I know I brought this up before in my thread on the engine re-assembly, but I thought I'd start a separate thread to give it a little more visibility. My question pertains to re-assembling the OPRV after replacing the inner o-ring on the slide valve housing. The problem is that when I press the slide valve housing back into the plug, the new o-ring shears off, even though I liberally coated it with oil, and worked VERY slowly when pressing the two pieces together. I ordered two new o-rings, but I'm not sure what I can do to avoid a repeat of the same problem. It's just a very tight fit between the o-ring and the plug. Is there a lubricant I could use other than engine oil that would work better, yet is compatible with the o-ring material? Any tricks to this procedure? Thanks.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you try some KY Jelly? It makes everything slid in easier and would be compatible with the o-ring material.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 AM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
Why don't you try some KY Jelly? It makes everything slid in easier and would be compatible with the o-ring material.

Cheers,
Larry
He's not having sex with the car ... just trying to complete a repair.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3

Cheers,
Larry
Larry,

Not sure if you're pulling my leg or not, but as goofy as it may sound, that had actually crossed my mind!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no idea what the assembly order needs to be, but I'll suggest the following:

It sounds like you have tried adding the o-ring to the male part and pressing it into the female part, multiple times, with the same results. Have you tried installing the o-ring into the female part, then pressing in the male part? It might be worth a try at this point.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Sorry I haven't included a picture, but the problem with installing the o-ring in the female part (the plug) first is that there is a groove on the male part (the slide valve housing) that the o-ring fits around. The o-ring has to be seated in this groove before squeezing the slide valve housing into the plug.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried making an installation tool? A thin piece of plastic, like the clear stuff from retail packaging, may provide some protection, during installation. It can be wrapped around the perimeter of the o-ring to provide a smooth surface. The down side is that the fit will be even tighter.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Yes, I've been thinking about some kind of a sleeve that I'd put around the slide valve housing to keep the o-ring pressed in place while I press the slide valve housing into the plug.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

Attachment 614968

The plug is the threaded piece on the right, and the slide valve housing is to the left. You can see the two o-rings on the slide valve housing. The o-ring on the right is the one that needs to fit inside the plug, and is getting sheared as I try to do this. I checked the manual again, and it calls for application of either of two types of oil to this inner o-ring: Optimol Olit 2 EP, or TL-VW 735. Anybody ever heard of these, or have any idea where to find them? Thanks.

Last edited by Cloud9...68; 01-22-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Got it! Per Chudson's suggestion (via IM), I put some vaseline on the inner o-ring, and then pushed it together by hand, rather than in a vise as the manual instructs. Went together very easily - it wasn't even a struggle, and the o-ring is intact! I then used the alignment tool I bought from Paragon to align the oil/water heat exchanger case to the block, and the OPRV then slipped in beautifully, so I think I got things lined up very well. Thanks for the help and suggestions. This thing is starting to come together; with any luck, it will be back in the car within a few weeks.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:18 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats! sometimes the simplest procedures turn into ordeals...
Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Thanks. Yes, it's amazing how much easier it went the second time around. The manual recommends some specific lubricants I'd never heard of. so I just tried motor oil the first time around. Amazing how much easier it went using vaseline. Maybe the diameter of the o-ring I used on the successful attempt was just a smidge smaller...

Quick Reply: Oil pressure relief valve re-assembly