968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 AM
whiggins
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 Exhaust

Any good aftermarket exhaust for these cars or is it best to stick with the factory exhaust?

whiggins
Old 02-20-2012, 09:55 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Basically bottom line is that you won't gain any real power but you will probably stand to lose some weight (mostly from the rear which isn't ideal) and you'll finally hear your car accelerate. I love my 968 but its "alive" to me now that i have a great growl under acceleration....

That being said, i like my RSBarn exhaust(i have the headers too though...), but there are some other good ones out there. don't worry, others will chime in.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you feel any "seat of the pants HP" with the headers?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

We are trying to work with Fabspeed to develop a high quality exhaust system for our cars. There should be an update on it shortly.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:50 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007

you won't gain any real power....

i disagree. i've got more power than stock for a brand new engine. and i've got 157 k miles on my old, beaten down engine. and i'd also be willing to prove it by racing anyone to the limiter in 5th gear on any flat stretch of interestate.... provided they don't mind losing.... i gained 7 mph (top speed) over stock numbers by going to a less restrictive system. therefore, my engine is making at least 245~250 hp....

from the following thread see posts #23 and #26;

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...options-2.html

Originally Posted by Orphanowner

.....stock resonator, there is a plate on the engine side of the resonator that is very restrictive. Not making big HP claims but with the plate removed (royal PITA) the car was noticeably more responsive. A few others have done the mod and found the same improvement.

this was a last minute change (done to decrease exhaust SPLs) but also reduced hp (by at least 9).

i don't believe a stock North American 968 ever made 236 hp (as claimed by Porsche).

the real number is probably closer to 225~230 hp.

that all being said, it's a production car. and the stock exhaust's ability to tame the big bad 4 should come as no surprise.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:43 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kwikt
Did you feel any "seat of the pants HP" with the headers?
i did. i felt that the power curve was moved up the rpm range a little though. meaning my torque curve comes in a little later than stock. the benefit was a much greater powerband in the 3k to redline range. all of this is seat of the pants feel though, no dyno.

i will say also that the headers added to any exhaust will give it a different sound than with the stock short headers. it sounds more guttural at WOT. i think it has something to do with the large displacement of the 3 liter 4 cyl, you can here the individual pistons through the long tubes... that guttural noise mixed with the bass of most aftermarket exhaust systems creates quite an exotic noise that has made me fall in love with a car that i merely liked beforehand... ymmv...

i bought this stuff as the "stage 2" and i plan on getting the cams as well to complete the package. all of this together will get me to around 270 horsepower at the crank, apparently dyno proven. i only mention the cams because i think the headers will make more sense power wise when the cams come into play. until then i feel like they made a decent difference performance wise but a MAJOR difference in feel and sound. im very pleased.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

I love the deep sound I get out of my B&B exhaust. http://www.bbexhaust.com/
However I have heard from other members on this forum that the best exhaust is the one you have custom made by an exhaust shop.
Keep in mind any state laws before you start messing with your exhaust first though.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:00 AM
wpb968
Instructor

Check out the stainless exhaust manufactured by Janspeed in the UK. It is made to order, so expect to wait a couple of months. I ordered it in December and it finally arrived. Even with the shipping costs from the UK, it is priced about the same as the US made cat backs for a complete exhaust including a 200 cell sport cat. I bought mine from a non-Rennlist sponsor in the UK, so I can't say anything more about where to buy. Beautiful welds and quality work. I am sure that some of the UK guys on Rennlist are running the Janspeed exhaust
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

The system you mention looks very similar to Cargraphics if I remember correctly. I wonder if they build it for Cargraphics.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
The system you mention looks very similar to Cargraphics if I remember correctly. I wonder if they build it for Cargraphics.
Raj, Cargraphic does own a manufacturing facility in the UK, but it's not Janspeed. I seem to remember 'Eagle' or something badged on my Cargraphic exhaust.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:30 PM
wpb968
Instructor

Raj,

The Janspeed 968 exhaust is based on a single 2.5" pipe with a resonator after the catalyst. I can post some pictures later today. The Cargraphic 968 exhaust uses a dual pipe design after the catalyst which looks just like the factory Porsche design.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Richy_s
Advanced

Originally Posted by wpb968
Check out the stainless exhaust manufactured by Janspeed in the UK. It is made to order, so expect to wait a couple of months. I ordered it in December and it finally arrived. Even with the shipping costs from the UK, it is priced about the same as the US made cat backs for a complete exhaust including a 200 cell sport cat. I bought mine from a non-Rennlist sponsor in the UK, so I can't say anything more about where to buy. Beautiful welds and quality work. I am sure that some of the UK guys on Rennlist are running the Janspeed exhaust
We just had a group buy of Janspeed Cat back systems, cost 400 USD. Build quality looks good cant comment on a lot else as not fitted yet.
They ask for orders of 5 pcs to manufacture now.

Rich
Old 02-27-2012, 04:47 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

That is a great price, WoW!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Raj, Cargraphic does own a manufacturing facility in the UK, but it's not Janspeed. I seem to remember 'Eagle' or something badged on my Cargraphic exhaust.
Maybe it was 'Phoenix' in the UK, that just popped in my mind.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:58 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Maybe it was 'Phoenix' in the UK, that just popped in my mind.
Yuup, I remember seeing Phoenix as well Damian!

Quick Reply: 968 Exhaust