Water Drain Areas Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:59 PM
calguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Drain Areas Please Help!!

Howdy!

Does anyone know where the drain holes are located for a 968 Cabriolet?

I'm looking specifically for any drain holes for the Fuse box area (left hand side), battery area (right hand side).

I know there is a plastic tube at the bottom of the A/C bin for evaporated water to spill out and am checking that to see if it's clogged but cannot find any other drain holes.

For some reason everytime my car is bathed (or rained upon) the fuse box area and battery area are completely full of water and water does not escape!

I've checked everywhere and cannot find where (and if) these drain holes are located!

I do have the plastic shroud over the air intake fan and do have the metal guard deflector on the bonnet where the battery is located.

Please help! I'm tired of having to wear a swimsuit in order to drive!

Thanks,

Calguy
'92 968 Cabriolet
'80 924 N/A
Old 02-07-2012, 02:48 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Both sides have drain holes towards the piller. Make sure they are not clogged and the tubes are still attached to the drain area. Use a wire hanger to open up the drains.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:34 PM
calguy
Instructor

Hi 968 TurboS,

Thanks for the reply! So if I'm understanding your response right the drain holes are as follows:

For "Left Hand" Fuse box side:
Drain hole is towards the "back" of the fusebox near the fender corner (back being near the windscreen A-Pillar). Does this tube go between the chasis and the fender?

For "Righ Hand" Battery side:
Drain hole is towards the "back" of the battery near the fender corner (back being near the windscreen A-Pillar). Same questiosn as above...

Is there a picture of this. I just want to make sure I can find it because I looked everywhere and I didn't see a hole back there but yet again my hands couldn't get into that area.

Thanks,

Calguy
'92 968 Cabriolet
'80 924 N/A
Old 02-07-2012, 03:48 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

You are correct. If it's still unclear and you cannot find it, I will post some pictures.
Raj
Old 02-07-2012, 05:24 PM
calguy
Instructor

Thanks Raj!

I'm going to take a look tonight and see if I can locate them and get them opened up as I'm positive that they are clogged. I just hope that water isn't going through any other area into the car (other than the a/c blower) otherwise I'll be on a fishing expedition to find where the water is entering!

BTW, that's a sweet looking blue cabrio. Where did you get the spoiler lip? Is that a factory one?

Thanks,

Calguy,
'92 968 Cabriolet
'80 924 N/A
Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Calguy, it is a Techart rear spoiler, sold via Porsche dealers with a Porsche part number of 968 100 800 100.
The water shouldn't end up anywhere but the wheel well area.
Raj
Old 02-08-2012, 12:09 PM
calguy
Instructor

Hi Raj,

Thanks for the spoiler info! It looks awesome.

So I took a look at the Fusebox and Battery Box bays last night and found the little drain holes! Like you said they are on the body towards the fender areas (outwards from the bay). I was able to get access to the fuse box one and, of course, it was clogged with years worth of black gunk (looked like soil)!! I was able to fish out a little bit of it but will need to use compressed air to get the other stuff out.

The interior is nearly dry! Luckily after I took the seats and carpet and padding out I found that the only water left is on the bottom of the floor boards underneath the padding and absorbed by the yellow padding (near the gas pedal on driver's side and computer on passenger side). Luckily no water on the padding towards the top (near the dash board) so water most likely didn't seap down!

Thanks for all the help! I'll try to get some photo's and post on the site in case others run into the same problem.

Calguy,
'92 968 Cabriolet
'80 924 N/A
Old 02-08-2012, 12:33 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Also, sometimes you can get water from broken or damaged seals in the firewall area. Confirm all seals are intact between the inside and engine compartment.
Raj
Old 02-13-2012, 12:56 AM
calguy
Instructor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help and support on this. So I got the drains cleaned up. They had a lot of sand and soil in them and now water flows out quite well. I also replaced the a/c evap hose (the on in the interior of the car behind the stereo on the center above the drive shaft. The old one was not only clogged up but also so brittle that it began deteriorating as soon as I tried to take it out. I also checked the seals around the steering and other firewall penetration areas and all looks good and dry there! Thanks Raj for the heads up.

After I finished all this I did a leak test and I noticed that water was still coming in but from the defroster fans inside the engine bay. Or at least that's where I'm thinking water is coming in. So I'm thinking of taking the whole assembly out and applying a lot of silicone around the outer lip of the entire fan housing where it meats the body. I'm thinking that's where the water is coming in. Any advice? I noticed there are 6 bolts that hold it in place but cannot find any removal instructions in the workshop manual. Has anyone ever removed this unit or had leaking from this assembly?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Calguy,
'92 968 Cabriolet
'80 924 N/A
Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Check your heater blower motor area. It is under the plastic piece right under the windhield (in the engine compartment). It could be that the water is getting thru the seal area.

Quick Reply: Water Drain Areas Please Help!!