Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Front Splitter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:54 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

A shill, plant or stooge is a person who helps a person or organization without disclosing that he or she has a close relationship with that person or organization. Shill typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that he or she is an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) that he or she is secretly working for. The person or group that hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services (or accept the ideas being marketed). Shills are often employed by confidence artists. Plant and stooge more commonly refer to any person who is secretly in league with another person or organization while pretending to be neutral or actually a part of the organization he or she is planted in, such as a magician's audience, a political party, or an intelligence organization (see double agent).
Old 02-01-2012, 07:52 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fox944
i've had both fiberglass and carbon fiber splitters on my car. Never had issues with either flapping at speed...and i had the car up to 170MPH gps verified.

all my splitters were sourced from AIR (american international racing). Went through a couple fiberglass units, and then went with a CF unit which was much stronger and more durable.

the D1 splitter sits higher then the turbo S replica splitters, so it should last longer and be tougher to crack.

best material is polyurethane imho....but even those can crack if hit hard enough.
Factory turbo S splitter is Polyurethane and both of my splitters have taken some beating just coming in and out of driveways and garage. No cracks ever, just minor scrapes.
With factory polyurethane splitter available, unless for cosmetic reasons, there is no reason to purchase another splitter.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968gene
A shill, plant or stooge is a person who helps a person or organization without disclosing that he or she has a close relationship with that person or organization. Shill typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that he or she is an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) that he or she is secretly working for. The person or group that hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services (or accept the ideas being marketed). Shills are often employed by confidence artists. Plant and stooge more commonly refer to any person who is secretly in league with another person or organization while pretending to be neutral or actually a part of the organization he or she is planted in, such as a magician's audience, a political party, or an intelligence organization (see double agent).
Hmm, now you have me thinking Eugene .
Old 02-02-2012, 01:15 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_k
Looks great, that's just the sort of thing I want, with enough extra width to match fender flare extensions covering the front of the tires.

Where did you source your ABS? And did you use anything (large washers, aluminum plate, etc) to reinforce the splitter where you attached the support rods, or did you feel that the ABS was durable enough to just put holes in it and leave it?

Also, did you have any problem getting the splitter to attached to the bottom edge of the front bumper without taking on a reverse rake? Or does that red-painted extension (what is that? A commercially available fiberglass splitter?) take care of that?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks guys....I have had 3 of these too. Polyurethane is the go for a track car.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:18 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 57 Posts

Fox944 - re the flapping, glad you had no issue. I know I do - as the track officials tell me!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS968
Where did you source your ABS? And did you use anything (large washers, aluminum plate, etc) to reinforce the splitter where you attached the support rods, or did you feel that the ABS was durable enough to just put holes in it and leave it?
I bought a 4' x 8' sheet from the local TAP Plastics store. It was around $90 and enough for 2 splitter/undertrays. The rods are APR rods like shown in post #3. The support rods do not have any backing on the splitter side but they do on the bumper cover side becasue that is flimsy. I did add an additional piece of ABS underneath at the corners. This stiffens the corners and act as skid blocks. I have had the splitter on for 1+ seasons (15 races) and not had a single issue with it. I would never try it on a street driven car though.

Originally Posted by JDS968
Also, did you have any problem getting the splitter to attached to the bottom edge of the front bumper without taking on a reverse rake? Or does that red-painted extension (what is that? A commercially available fiberglass splitter?) take care of that?
The "red extension" is the standard polyurethane Turbo S splitter. With that there the rake is not an issue, the ABS is level with the ground. You can see this splitter is wee bit bigger than before, probably as big as you could go with this material.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Factory turbo S splitter is Polyurethane and both of my splitters have taken some beating just coming in and out of driveways and garage. No cracks ever, just minor scrapes.
With factory polyurethane splitter available, unless for cosmetic reasons, there is no reason to purchase another splitter.
agreed. Factory Turbo S splitter is better to purchase then a fiberglass replica.

That said, the AIR splitter is not an exact replica...and i actually like it better (the edges stick out about an inch). That, and i also wanted a CF splitter to compliment the CF Turbo S replica rear spoiler on the car.

In this photo, you can see what i'm talking about in regards to the AIR splitter being wider then the OEM splitter. It is designed to align with AIR's wider fender flares.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:20 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fox944
agreed. Factory Turbo S splitter is better to purchase then a fiberglass replica.

That said, the AIR splitter is not an exact replica...and i actually like it better (the edges stick out about an inch). That, and i also wanted a CF splitter to compliment the CF Turbo S replica rear spoiler on the car.

In this photo, you can see what i'm talking about in regards to the AIR splitter being wider then the OEM splitter. It is designed to align with AIR's wider fender flares.

Ah! Makes sense, now that you mention fender flares.
Raj
Old 02-03-2012, 12:16 AM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately for me, I'm in need of a batwing since a transport company tore mine off during shipping (and threw it away) and have wanted a splitter since I purchased the car. Even if I found a deal on a used batwing it'd still be $750+ for the OEM splitter from Carnewal with shipping and paint vs. the ~$400 it will cost for the Design 1 splitter which won't require a new tray. If I destroy the fiberglass one then you can say you told me so.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlau
Unfortunately for me, I'm in need of a batwing since a transport company tore mine off during shipping (and threw it away) and have wanted a splitter since I purchased the car. Even if I found a deal on a used batwing it'd still be $750+ for the OEM splitter from Carnewal with shipping and paint vs. the ~$400 it will cost for the Design 1 splitter which won't require a new tray. If I destroy the fiberglass one then you can say you told me so.
Figure 'when' rather than 'if', but good luck, it'll look good for at least a couple weeks if you're lucky!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:29 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Figure 'when' rather than 'if', but good luck, it'll look good for at least a couple weeks if you're lucky!
You mean the 1st scrape or bump? lol
Our cars have long overhangs in front of wheel wheels. A polyurethane splitter is your best bet if you insist on having one.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fiberglass splitters wont crack as easy as some of you may think.

Yes, they are weaker then Carbon fiber and weaker then polyurethane.

That said, i cracked two fiberglass splitters. They both took a beating on new York City streets before cracking. Both lasted about 6 months or 1000-1500 miles before finally cracking.

Where i live now, the roads are much smoother...so a fiberglass splitter may never crack out here.

My CF splitter took the same abuse the FG splitters did. However...after 4K miles...is still had yet to crack. A poly splitter would be even more durable.

My suggestion would be to get a poly splitter as they are best. Especially if your car is lowered. a techart or other aftermarket splitter would be ideal as they do not curve down at the edge like the Turbo S splitter does. but it all depends on what look you are going for, what you use your car for, how good or bad the roads where you drive are, and how much money you are willing to shell out.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:28 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Techart front splitter is the best solution. Unfortunately its NLA.
Raj
Old 02-03-2012, 03:37 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Techart front splitter is the best solution. Unfortunately its NLA.
Raj
Would love one of those. Snapped this pic of one below and it really has a great look to it. The owner of the car said he's had people offer him $1500-$2000 for it but he won't sell.

Here's the car:

Quick Reply: Front Splitter Issue