968 Forum 1992-1995

Lumbar function repair help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012 | 09:14 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Default Lumbar function repair help?

Hello,

This is my first post here. Believe it or not, and I'm embarrassed to admit this, but after nearly six years of 968 ownership, I never scrolled down far enough on the rennlist site to realize this 968-specific forum existed! I only saw the 924/931/944/951/968 site, and have posted there a few times.

Anyway, I have a pair of classic gray seats out of my 92 968 that I'd like to sell, as I'm converting it to a mostly-track car, and will be getting lightweight racing seats. I've disassembled and reconditioned all of the seat switches, and tested them, and they all now work perfectly, with the exception of the lumbar function on the drivers side. The switch works; I can hear a clicking sound and a faint vibration coming from the seats when I toggle the switch, but no real movement. I'm testing the function by connecting a spare battery's terminals to the appropriate prongs on the six-prong connector. However, there is also a separate, two-prong connector that I'm not sure how to connect without putting the seat back in the car; this connector, along with the 6-prong connector, is pictured below, to the right of the 6-prong connector:

Attachment 602348

Does anybody know if this two-prong connector is in any way connected to the lumbar function? If not, does anybody know how to troubleshoot the lumbar function? I don't see an easy way to get into the seatback to get to it, and I definitely don't want to remove the upholstery.

On a related question, my seats are in really outstanding condition - I always do a limbo move when entering the car to prevent rubbing against the driver side bolster, so even it is in practically new condition. I'm sure the seats have been re-upholstered or re-conditioned at some point - there's no way the original leather could be in this condition, unless they were stored in a museum. Any idea what they might be worth? They fit in models besides the 968/944, don't they? The drivers is 8-way power, plus the currently non-functional lumbar, and the passenger is 4-way power Thanks in advance. Here are a few pictures of the seats:

Attachment 602350
Attachment 602351
Attachment 602353

Last edited by Cloud9...68; 01-22-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2012 | 10:37 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

I can't help, but lumbar is quite rare. The seats will fit 964 models as well.
Old 01-27-2012 | 11:24 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Do your seats have heat?
Old 01-27-2012 | 04:48 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

No, no heat, I'm afraid. And I answered my question as to whether that two-pronged plug has anything to do with the lumber function - unfortunately, the answer is "no." I took the lumbar control's switch apart again, sanded all the connectors again with 600 grit sandpaper, sprayed them with contact cleaner, and re-assembled it, making sure the little metal ***** all stayed in their perches while pressing their springs onto them (this is like brain surgery!). The switch definitely feels like it's working in the way it makes a solid "click" when I depress it in any of the four directions, and it snaps back smartly to horizontal when I release it, but alas, the lumbar function still doesn't work. I guess I'd have to tear into the seatback to figure out what's wrong, and I'm not willing to do that. So, I'll put them up for sale as is, with no lumbar function. I'm hoping to get about $650 for the pair, which I think is fair, considering their condition.
Old 01-27-2012 | 06:14 PM
Deano968
Intermediate

A thought not armed with any actual knowledge... Is the other connector perhaps for the seat belt warning light?

I have 8 way power + heat on both seats, sadly not leather, and the heat function doesn't work so I may well be removing mine soon. Stupid really, I live in Australia, not sure just when I'd need to warm my bum!
Old 01-27-2012 | 07:09 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I think Deano has it right. Its the seatbelt warning.
Old 01-27-2012 | 09:15 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Makes sense. Thanks
Old 01-27-2012 | 11:18 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

I guess Jeff is busy, he normally would have told us how many coupes and cabs had lumbar, normal, sport, or any combination!

Quick Reply: Lumbar function repair help?