968 Forum 1992-1995

Tie Rod End Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 03:54 PM
wpb968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie Rod End Removal

I am replacing my engine and am removing the tie rods at the steering knuckle to drop the front crossmember and steering rack. Problem: The tie rod end is worn and the pin spins in the bearing with the impact wrench when I attempt to remove the nut.

How do I remove the worn tie rod end? I'd prefer not to remove the tie rod end from the steering rack unless it is required. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2012, 09:11 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

I HATE it when that happens.

I'm too lazy to go out and check my 968...did you check the ends of the pins to see whether they're made to fit a bit (usually a hex bit) to hold them in place while you loosen the nut with a wrench?

Also, did you soak the threads with PB Blaster before trying this?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:24 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I always mark and seperate them from the steering rack. I leave the ends mounted to the spindle. Taking them off will normally destroy the boots unless you use the right tool.
Any auto parts store should have a tie rod end removal tool for loaner.
Raj
Old 01-23-2012, 01:59 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wpb968
I am replacing my engine and am removing the tie rods at the steering knuckle to drop the front crossmember and steering rack. Problem: The tie rod end is worn and the pin spins in the bearing with the impact wrench when I attempt to remove the nut.

How do I remove the worn tie rod end? I'd prefer not to remove the tie rod end from the steering rack unless it is required. Any ideas?

Thanks!
If you're removing the engine, you may as well remove the tie rods from the steering rack because you're going to need an alignment anyway. This way you can save the tie rod boots from destruction and reuse them down the road. Whatever you do, don't use a pickle fork to remove the tie rods, it'll take forever and just make a mess of things.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wpb968
Problem: The tie rod end is worn and the pin spins in the bearing with the impact wrench when I attempt to remove the nut.

Thanks!
Push up on the bottom of the pin and it should lock it in enough for an impact to remove it. You have to push up with some force, I usually lower my car (on lift) onto a 2x4 that pushes the pin up. Then use impact wrench.

Quick Reply: Tie Rod End Removal