what did you do with your 968 today..... - Page 32 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

what did you do with your 968 today.....

Old 01-12-2019, 05:55 PM
thomasmryan
User

before the torsion bar tube is lifted completely, get the parking brake cables situated. it is kinda tight work with tube all the way up.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Isaacsracing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thomasmryan View Post
before the torsion bar tube is lifted completely, get the parking brake cables situated. it is kinda tight work with tube all the way up.
Good advise - Thank you. I agree that the parking cable is a pita. It was the hardest part to detach too.

I refinished the spring plates before installing the race of new bushings from Chuck at Elephant Racing.

cleaned aluminum parts and installed the other part of elephant racing bearings.
Most of my time this weekend was helping a friend finish a fuel injector related job on a 7.3 ford turbo Deisel. We had done the job but had managed to hydrolock the engine, so we had to go back and undo a lot in order to allow the engine to rotate. I didn't think that truck would ever run again, but it started and it ran strong and quiet. Bringing a 22-year-old truck back to life is very satisfying.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:44 PM
thomasmryan
User

the 96-97 version of the 7.3 was the best....highest compression ratio (compared to later models) and no waste gate.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:11 PM
dfheezy
User

Default Starter replacement completed

Starter replacement completed. Removal of the old bushing and insertion of the new bushing required some custom tools...
Additional shrink tubing applied where harness sleeving was worn.

Onto the interior!

I tried to upload pictures what the hey!

Last edited by dfheezy; 01-15-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: No pictures showing ...
Old 01-16-2019, 02:14 PM
dfheezy
User

Default See if this helps y'all see some McGyver starter repair...

Bushing removal tool - (2) drill bits lock a hex bolt behind the bushing. Tape indicated the locking pin engaged. Maybe there's an actual tool for this, someone can link maybe?

Damaged sleeving/insulation...

Repair of insulation with shrink tubing, and hole ready for preparation for new bushing...

Successively shortened blue brillo pad for preparing hole for the new bushing, and my bushing installation tool. Light hammer taps on the bronze push ring slides in the new bushing with compliance =)

Repaired sleeving and bushing installed!

The rest was plug and play!
Old 01-17-2019, 02:05 AM
Isaacsracing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi dfheezy, I've been a little concerned about the condition of my bearing which is shown below. Looking at your pictures, what are you going to do about the toothed ring for the starter. Yours is totally full of foreign matter.
Here's my bushing. You've given me some inspiration to do something about it.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:49 PM
jsheiry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have needed to replace rear wheel bearings for some time (150K on clock) but wanted to wait until the car needed rear brakes as well. Bought the Arnworx removal tool even though I think the slide hammer would do the job. Also will repack rear CV joints and install new boots, replace rear rotors, pads, shims for pads

Rotors, calipers, hub halves removed to expose bad bearing

Arnworx tool removing bad bearing

New bearing about to be pounded in with seal/race tools

Hub halves put back together, new zimmerman z coat rotor installed. Will install caliper & new pads when shims arrive $72 (URO from RockAuto) for rear & front shims Still need to torque the New replacement nut to spec on the rear wheel bearing/hub halves. (Its a big number, prefer to put car on ground and more firm, should be able to do with center cap out of wheel)

Bearing was clearly in bad shape, when hub halves still joined to bearing there was much play/movement when grabbing wheel studs. Now to the other side, then front wheel bearings and new brakes & struts.

Last edited by jsheiry; 01-29-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not really anything I've done for my 68 but, missing this during the polar vortex:

Old 02-02-2019, 01:43 AM
Yogii
User

Originally Posted by Chuck Z View Post
Not really anything I've done for my 68 but, missing this during the polar vortex:

Love the color!

-Y

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what did you do with your 968 today.....

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: