Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995
View Poll Results: Fix the 968 or part it out??
It's worth it!! Fix it!!!
22.22%
Not worth it!! Part it out!!
77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

1992 968 - project or parts car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 968 - project or parts car?

Greetings 968 folks!

I just so happened to be in the right place at the right time and have managed to acquire a 1992 968 convertible which was hit on the left rear, pretty hard...

I wanted to get your opinions as to weather this is a candidate to be fixed at a reasonable cost, or if I should just scrap it and part it out. There is an entire rear clip on Ebay for about $1000 but cutting cars in half and welding them back together is not my specialty, so I'm not sure if it is feasible/worth while to attempt to fix it or not. I work at a repair shop and have a body shop that will hook me up at a good rate so I'll be doing a lot of the work and not paying retail. But if the car is gonna take $5k to fix then it's just not worth it and i'll part it out!

I have not taken delivery of the car yet but will in the next day or so, but here are the basic details:

1992 968 Convertible grey/tan
142,000 miles - approx 82K on motor, approx 87K on transmission
6-speed transmission - No LSD but owner has original blown transmission with LSD which is part of the deal.

car still runs and drives good - pics I have herebut if you want more check out my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=8c1e88e2db
Attached Images      
Old 12-14-2011, 08:31 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

it's a total loss. $12 k +++ (depending in what neck of the woods).... to fix what will become maybe a $2,500~3,500 car.... with a bent frame and bad history book left over. that's much worse than Esprit's Cobalt Blue car was — which he picked to the bone.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:51 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply. Honestly I was hoping to fix it but am afraid it's done for as well but haven't even look at it in person yet and am not well versed on bodywork, definitely wasn't thinking $12K! We had a customers race car which had the front clip replaced and body shop charged about $5K, but to put $5K+ into a car that will probably only be worth $8K~ wouldn't make much sense either. Was hoping the bumper/quarter panel could just be replaced but guess I won't be that lucky
Old 12-14-2011, 08:57 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 123 Posts

Well, the car looks to be Q9 slate grey (post the last 3 digits of the VIN). That would make it pretty rare, 1 of 11 Q9 slate grey cabs with a black top and a black/cashmere interior but I have to agree, unless you can keep the repair cost down by doing it yourself you'll be upside down in no time. That car with that mileage is worth $12K well sorted. If you part it I would be interested in the wheels.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jeff - love the color on your car! Last digits on the vin are 204. I would hate to chop up a car that is 1 of 11 but I definitely can't afford to get in too deep on this one as I spent waaaay to much on my 951 already this year... although January is right around the corner!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:33 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Jeff,

must agree..... sadly, well sorted was more like a few years ago and it's never going there again. like my car (today) it had high miles before the hit... unless i've missed something, i don't see the cabs at this stage of usage commanding top $$$$. the soft tops have very rigid frames. they bend and they don't bend back... a fully restored (tub) after a hit like this, is no longer any tipe of desireable car for purchase. it's tainted. we've seen better cars sold in the $5~6 k range than this one would be if the body was brought back to pre-crash state, because those examples, though extremely worn, were never in wrecks...

the other hand, parting the car will provide some of the funds needed to replace it.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:49 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

I might disagree on a possible fix, depends on what you want to do with it. I have a rear clip fs if you want to fix, careful of eBay....

If not I may be interested... I need to get rid of stuff but can make this car whole. If you do not do it yourself IMHO

2k parts
1k labor body
2-5k paint depending on how good a job
With salvage title only worth the $ to you.

As said 10k is a non salvage car but find one with good paint and since you have it apart many things fixed. Cabs are finicy but not impossible. My restored is tighter than non hit used...

Cheers, mike
Old 12-14-2011, 09:52 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Well I'm almost done going through the records that came with the car and the previous owners took REALLY good care of this car. It was ordered as a slate grey w/ black top - have found more then $25,000 in recipts including a performance chip and the convertible top which was just replaced about 3 years ago. I would really like to fix this thing up and drive it!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:57 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by notthd
I might disagree on a possible fix, depends on what you want to do with it. I have a rear clip fs if you want to fix, careful of eBay....

If not I may be interested... I need to get rid of stuff but can make this car whole. If you do not do it yourself IMHO

2k parts
1k labor body
2-5k paint depending on how good a job
With salvage title only worth the $ to you.

As said 10k is a non salvage car but find one with good paint and since you have it apart many things fixed. Cabs are finicy but not impossible. My restored is tighter than non hit used...

Cheers, mike
Thanks Mike! Once I get it to my place i'll have a better idea of what to do with it.

Regarding the title, the guy I bought the car from was hit & run by an uninsured motorist and his insurance company offered him peanuts for the car so I offered him salted peanuts for it He did file a police report etc. but since the insurance did not pay out on the car as he sold it to me instead, will it be branded a salvage title?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Default oooops...

well, foot in mouth. it looks like the previous owner really loved the car...

Originally Posted by JJK78

Was hoping the bumper/quarter panel could just be replaced but guess I won't be that lucky

as i mentioned before, these cabriolets are incredibly rigid... if the finished work ends up being off even a couple of milimeters, you're done. the rear section, and doors will all be off and will just get worse.

i could tell you a bit about another wrecked Cobalt coupe that i drove 360 miles to see last spring... when i arrived, the hood was up... before getting in to drive it, we did a walkaround and inspected the repair work (front clip) that appeared nearly flawless... the seller (mr. monte python) claimed the frame had been properly pulled back. but, when he attempted to close the hood, it became clear that the car was bent to the right about 1/4" !! the hood was almost at the glass on one corner, off the glass about 5/8 too far on the other... he could barely get it closed, and caused the fenders to buckle. at the front, it had a gap to the fender of about 7/16" at one corner and about 1/8" at the other.

the car drove fine, but eventually started making funny sounds. the suspension was a lot better than my car. but when we got out, the doors barely could be opened, and then, wouldn't close and the hood was almost off the car. it was no longer a Porsche 968. it was a collection of beautiful 968 parts. the seller had the gall to take offense when i told him so.

best of luck with your next ride, whatever it turns out to be.

regards,

od.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

The car is an early one, #144 of 2,008, so it should have the unique early car features like the hood with the recessed badge and the larger edged 968 emblem in the rear. It only has metallic paint and partial leather as options. It never had limited slip. Only 47 North american slate gray 968 cabs produced in total.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:20 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

No contest but a good idea is 4 wheel alignment as is. The cobalt is fwd and a hit in front might be risky. To os point you may not see sutle dimension variances. The alignment will tell the tale.

The hit on this car looks , "looks". Like it does not effect tracking. How are the doors now and top operations. If good less risk. I would not full clip, panels only. I have the shop factory body cut and weldments if you need... My 2 cs.

Cheers, mike
Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you part it let me know as I am local and trying to fix one up.

This cab has been for sale forever at 5k with no bites - I went and looked at it in person and while it is rough it is straight and runs... Don't know if that helps as a comp.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/ctd/2736860329.html

I would figure on the motor going for 2 to 2.5k
Trans - 1 to 1.5k
Wheels - 750
Brakes - 400
Mirrors - 250
Door handles - 200

Other than that the top will go for something and the small bits will add up.

Last edited by Josh B; 12-15-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:11 AM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Hey Josh, yeah I have seen that black cab driving around near my shop - rough is being generous I'll let you know if I part it out!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:58 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh B
This cab has been for sale for ever at 5k with no bites - I went and look at it in person and while it is rough it is straight and runs... Don't know if that helps as a comp.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/ctd/2736860329.html

That cab is a shame. It had a couple of very rare options which have been robbed off of it such as full leather seats and a rare XK7 alternate leather shift **** and boot (1 of 4).

Quick Reply: 1992 968 - project or parts car?