Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Question on Top Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:09 AM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeez Ernie...... please put some miles on that car. Your engine is way too clean.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:43 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANK YOU ERNIE !!! I'm saving the pictures now. And yes you have a CLEAN engine!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:56 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikt
Jeez Ernie...... please put some miles on that car. Your engine is way too clean.
____ It's out every days weather permitting so Klms are adding little by little.

Originally Posted by miramar_trieste
THANK YOU ERNIE !!! I'm saving the pictures now. And yes you have a CLEAN engine!
_____Yes I've been using (elbow grease) dust & oil repellent on it since the first day I bougth it.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:20 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, for CA 15W40 might be too heavy for start ups. I would go with 5W40 or 0W40 for winters.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:01 AM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn that car looks brand new. My ride would choke on its spark plugs if it saw that engine bay!
Old 10-29-2011, 01:17 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

our automaker's manuals from the 1980s were almost universally written for the average person on the go, making their 3 month pilgrimage either the dealer or Jiffy Lube, and assuming the cheapest, profit generating non-synthetics would be going into our cars.

modern oils are night and day vs/ the old conventional oils....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/ - required reading for everyone on the forum.

(click on chapter at the bottom of each page to reach the next page)

synthetic oils have improved drastically in the past 25 years. all the grades i'm mentioning here have a very nice range of zddp additives (consult mobil 1 website). they are not multi-grade oils as conventional lubricants indeed must be in order to make usable oils w/ these numbers. synthetics are a whole different universe of engine protection compared to the old-tech oils that are minimum-protection, short-life-span, oils that were being offered at Jiffy Lube back in the day.

you all have your favorite synthetics, and for good reason, as they are basically entry-level racing oils... but my engine has 150 k miles, it's not an Ferrari, so i'm happy with my boring ol' Mobil 1. why? i've seen each of the following grades (except for the racing oil) in their bargain, 5 quart bottles at the Vero Beach Walmart superstore for $24.65...(prices are up about 1.50 since my original post) that's pretty damn good, so i'll be talking Mobil 1 here. i'm not gonna get into Mobil 1's cost cutting moves since the early days.... not worth losing any sleep over....

everything that Bob the Oil Guy, Mr. Haas talks about is the truth...

to demonstrate;

we needed at least a 40 to 50 weight oil (depending on the type of driving) running in our cars when the engines were new... but now with our aging bearings, it would indeed be better to be running 50 weight oil more and 40 weight oil less... especially if you drive your cars hard. but there is a significant problem.... the 50 weight oils aren't very good at startup (except Mobil 1's 5w50 Rally Oil and 0w50 Racing Oil). in fact they're rather bad, even in the summer.

but is this true or just a bunch of new age, oil bs ? it is indeed true, and i'll demonstrate....

let's say tomorrow morning will be 40°F.... at this temp my Mobil 1 15w50 oil is going to be way too thick at startup. with a weight somewhere near about 300 at that temperature.... in fact the stuff is actually so bad, that when my engine's moving parts reach a temperature of 104 degrees, my oil will still be too thick, and it will have a viscosity of exactly 125 weight at that moment. still way too thick to properly lubricate my engine.... when this oil reaches full operating temperature, it will, of course, be doing a lot better... but the damage will likely, already have been done.....

in a moment, i'll compare oils. and show you that for beginning with those cold fall mornings, it's already time to change to a better oil... since so many of you all loathe Mobil 1 products, i'll use another popular oil as a demonstration.... a slightly thicker oil from Redline...

at 104°F and at our engine's operating temperatures. the numbers don't lie..... doesn't matter if you consult with Amsoil, Mobil 1, or Redline, or whomever. it will all be the same. do your re-checking, and see if bob the oil guy says anything different than what you'll discover by doing the research....

ok, right from their webpage;

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=6&pcid=21

viscosity grade Redline SAE 15W50

Vis @ 40°C (104°F): 138 ...... Vis @ 100°C (212°F): 19.6

the Redline is 138 weight oil at 104°F and 19.6 weight at 212°F (near operating temp)....

my Mobil 1 15w50 is similar at at 104°F having a viscosity of 125 weight

and 18.0 weight at 212°F (near operating temp)....

http://www.mobil.com/Pakistan-Englis...il1_5W-50.aspx

obviously, we like the 18.0 and 19.6 weights at running temp.

so, can we get nearer to these numbers at running temp, but have something that flows better at startup?

the short answer is yes.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:55 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

here are some oils.... and how they compare to our 15w50 pillars of marble.

btw, the new synthetic 0w40 oils actually compare favorably to any conventional 15w50 grade oil at operating temp.

oil/SAE grade ................... visc @ 104° F............................. visc @ running temp / 212°F

Redline 15w50 ....................... 138 ............................................... 19.6

Mobil 1 15w50 ....................... 125 ............................................... 18

Mobil 1 5w50 Rally Oil ............. 108 ................................................ 17.5

Mobil 1 0w50 Racing Oil ........... 100 ............................................... 17.2

Mobil 1 10w40 ........................ 96 ................................................ 14.7

Mobil 1 0w40 .......................... 75 ................................................ 13.5

the 0w40 isn't ideal (no oil is ideal). but the real question is can it help prevent our engines from being damaged during the winter at startup? the answer is clearly yes.... you also see from this graphic why the 0w50 Racing Oil is clearly Mobil 1's best product, as it offers the most protection under maximum performance conditions while still being able to flow reasonably well in the cold.... funny, it's the oil they recommend for a race car yet doesn't offer as much viscosity as their 15w50... but, yet it's what they recommend for racing engines. i must admit i'm incredulous... if we all agree that the 50 weight oil is what we need for our soft engine bearings, then, one of these high-flow-at-startup oils is what we need to run in the winter. i know at least one of the 968 guys runs it; but at $17 a quart you gotta decide if that fits into your budget...

my solution would be running a mix of 0w40 and either (5w50 or 0w50).

the slightly higher cost for the 5w50 rally oil is worth it and you can order either the rally or the even more expensive 0w50 racing oil from their website.

finally, there's a reason why the recent 0w20s, 30s and 40s are oem for all today's cars... the old way of running the 10w's, 15w's and 20w oils in the winter is not the right way. these oils are silent engine bearing killers, and the automobile manufacturers have dozens of reports proving it.

the Mobil 1 0w40 and 10w40 are both "euro" oils and have plenty of zddp for most of our driving situations.

the 15w50 high performance and Rally oils have even more zddp...

but, the Mobil 1 0w50 Racing oil has the maximum zddp @ 1,800 ppm.

Quick Reply: Question on Top Synthetic Oil