968 Forum 1992-1995

Feeler: 1-2 yrs plan to get into a Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 04:01 PM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raj,

I can see you selling the cabrio but I would not sell the turbo. You will never find another one like it. Talk about unique and rare..you own it! Plus, you know exactly how to manage the car which is always a bonus.

I have several friends who own the car you are looking at and maintenance is not the same. I would also check the yearly registration and insurance costs before you do anything.

In my mind, a Porsche you can drive anytime, anywhere. The Ferrari is not the same thing. Beautiful, yes, but daily no.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:41 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Raj,
I know you've been interested in a 360 for a while now. Would it be feasible to keep one 968 and get a 360? I can't imagine that white turbo S being owned by anyone else. Maybe it's selfish but I like to know that the same mastermind and guru that built it still owns and loves it. If you move on it will send a "tremor through the force" so to speak, it would be a loss to the whole community. That being said, nothing lasts forever, and times always change, so if you really want a 360 just figure out if you want it more than your turbo S. I know a car like that can sometimes seem like a trap - you know if you ever sell it, you might regret it, and sometimes it seems that's the only reason you'd keep it. I can't really help you there.

I think that link of Trevor's is invaluable.

I don't like Ferraris myself but it doesn't matter - I'll just imagine you're talking about a 190SL or Porsche 550.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:02 PM
HomerMAC
AutoX

.. im gonna start checking your User Stats for new threads with FS.

I think your cab is a sweet ride and from my few days on renn. I have read tons of posts by you. I would def. take the trip over from NY to check the cab out.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:37 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks guys for the kind words. As mentioned, it's a feeler thread and I am on the fence. If I get serious, I will start with the cab and post pictures of it.
I will keep you guys posted.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:37 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
What do you guys think?
You are waaaaay to vested into P-cars to sell now. As a true F-Car person, let the thought go for now. Stick with the P-Cars. You have some real beauties...

Old 08-14-2011, 10:41 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I second what Arash said in his last post, as one of the 968 guru's on this site it would be a huge loss if you went over to Ferrari. I also think you will regret selling the Turbo.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 AM
DiREW0LF
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read the Ferrari forums. That should change your mind, if not check the link below and look for normal maintenance items. I was thinking about a 348 or 355 and after a little research I decided against it. I'm not into having unexpected $10-20K repair bills because of a poorly engineered car built with some low quality materials and shoddy craftsmanship (if you don't believe my statment look into electrical problems, cracked exhaust headers and connecting rod failures). And in the end for the money spent you don't have a sports car that performs as well as some of its peers that cost less and aren't as finicky.

It seems true the newer cars have less problems, the ones they do have cost more to make up for it though. If you don't plan on actually driving it go for it, It'll look great in your garage.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_...=&V=diag&I=574
Old 08-15-2011, 04:31 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

I think what everyone is trying to say is that if you leave, we would be like the Ninja Turtles without Splinter.

On a serious note, I can understand the desire to switch to something different and especially in that direction. A few weeks ago I got to drive a brand new California through some twisties and out on the highway. I haven't missed my 968 as much since that drive. It's a different kind of fun from the p-cars, though. In the p-cars my satisfaction has mostly come from my ability to command the car and how the car is engineered for performance. In the Ferrari, it is clear that it is engineered for the driver's experience and stimulating the driver's different senses.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default thinking out loud might not be a good idea....

Ferraris are incredible. those engine sounds, and everything else.... after reading a few dozen threads during the past few years, i've learned the F-355s require a lot of time off the road and engine removal for service. not so much for the 360s and 430s. during the past year the 458 Italias had been going up in flames, and they had to be recalled... fires aren't isolated to the Italias either.... as far as getting a better Ferrari, Aston Martin or Lamborghini/(Audi), the exotic automakers are finally moving toward engines with very long cycles between maintenance. but it will be a long time before one of those cars will be available in the $90~120 k dollar zone. as everyone who has one will be too busy enjoying the cars.

blasphemy; ok, since i know it's likely i'll never have the cash to own a true Ferrari, run a proper maintenance program and be able to daily drive it to my heart's content between trips to Murry Bacchus's shop in Hollywood, sometimes i imagine getting into a 348 or 355.... and, after selling the big money engine, simply installing a Chevy LSx in there (with a 308 or 328, such a move to chevy power would truly be the best option). anyway, since i can't even afford to keep a late model P-car on the road, this will likely forever, need to remain just a passing thought.... but with a healthy supply of cash, i can build an exhaust that will bring out the best sounds possible out of the nasty pushrod chevy. and the thought of being able to drive the car 35 k miles every year, reveals the crass and dreadful **** that i most truly am.... but, i'd probably, be too busy enjoying the dam thing to care what anybody thinks.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:47 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All modern cars have issues.. whether they are Fiats (Ferrari) or VWs (porsche). IN the years before the internet, few people knew about the issues.. just that Ferraris cost more because entire motors needed removal for maintenance and only "luigi" knew how to fix them. Porsche's were for the practical/engineering sort. Both are great fun to drive.

Only you know how much time/money you have to maintain your future car. Yes, no matter the brand, there will be "issues".

I say go for it. Would you want to always live wondering what life with a Ferrari would be like or actually find out what its like
Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

saw that one comin'.... bringing up the next part of the discussion....

where inevitably, Raj enters... books, computer and tools in hand.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 PM
HomerMAC
AutoX

Originally Posted by racer
All modern cars have issues.. whether they are Fiats (Ferrari) or VWs (porsche). IN the years before the internet, few people knew about the issues... ... I say go for it. Would you want to always live wondering what life with a Ferrari would be like or actually find out what its like

Race prepped Ferraris are awesome.

Street Ferrari, they use adhesives instead of rivets. Also highly flamable adhesive to shield from high heat exhuast. The recall remedy was for rivets to the same panel. Kind of lame for a car of its cost.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Raj, you're a hands on guy-would you be able to wrench the Ferrari in the same manner? I'm sure there are a lot less DYI guys to share knowledge with you.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:24 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ

Raj, you're a hands on guy-would you be able to wrench the Ferrari ?

is the pope Catholic?
Old 08-17-2011, 03:03 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Damian, a car is a car. All Internal combustion engines have similar moving parts. I am sure there would be a learning cuve, but I am not afraid to try. If I screw up, I chalk it up as cost of learning. I am not indimidated by them.
BTW, I tried contacting you but your system tells me its not accepting calls.

Last edited by RajDatta; 08-17-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Feeler: 1-2 yrs plan to get into a Ferrari