968 Forum 1992-1995

Windshield Install Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:15 AM
wpb968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Install Disaster

I purchased an original German tinted glass and had a reputable local shop do the install. Total disaster.

They cut the dash on both sides and scratched the paint on both fenders. The fenders and doors will require a respray but it will be very tough to match the paint. The original dash has to be replaced.

Porsche says the dash is NLA. A dash cover is not an option. Anybody know where to get a black 968 dash?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:27 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default could have happened anywhere....

especially, Florida!

if there's any consolation, we'll get together with JDS this winter, pull off the Copan's road ramp (or some other scenic location) and do a photo op while everyone else in the country is freezing their ***** off.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:36 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

Sorry to hear this news. I hope they're paying the tab.

There were a lot of black interior 968s so hopefully one of the Porsche specific recyclers will have a nice dash.

I had heard (but never verified) that a OE windshield was NLA. Is that what you purchased and where did you source it?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:36 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I certainly hope that the shop is paying for all of the repair costs. Unfortunately, this is why I rarely take my cars to a shop to have anything done to them. There's nothing like expecting a quality job and then get surprised by a pile of crap.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:51 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The glass shop should pay the repair bills, and if they won't, take it to court. I'm sorry for you though, it must be depressing.

I've had a door handle, sunroof, and mirrors painted on my guards red coupe, and the paint was matched excellently. The roof and mirrors were done by one shop, who used a paint mixing machine to match the color, and it came out fantastic (the color). The door handle was done by another shop which mixed the paint based on my Porsche color code, so naturally the color was perfect. So don't fret about the color.

Here's a tip on dashboards: You can use an airbag dash from a 944, it will just have a couple of minor differences in how it's screwed in, but that might broaden your possibilities of finding one. Also, don't limit yourself to black. Vinyl can be dyed easily and cheaply, and dyed looks just like the real thing (the real thing is dyed, after all). Try Parts Heaven, ebay, DC auto, Oklahoma foreign, and ask around on this forum and pelican.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:09 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

Sorry to hear about it.. To add to Arash's comments I had a rear deck lid and bumper repainted in red like yours and it did not match at all. They used the paint codes and not match the actual color. Fought with the ins and shop to no avail. They said "it's an old car, the paint is faded" so my advice is go to a shop who reads the color not just uses the code.

+2 on diying the dash, I have dyed many things perfectly.

cheers, Mike
Old 08-07-2011, 10:21 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

SERIOUSLY want to know where you got an original windshield!!

As they've said, you can re-dye any vinyl 968 (or airbag 944) dash...but of course, it's VERY likely that you can find a black vinyl dash from a dead 968. As Jeff pointed out in his presentation, a [relatively] enormous number of North American 968s had black vinyl dashboards, so you're bound to find one.

Alan, before we do a photo op, I think I need you to rebuild my bumper, and then I need a full respray. How bad do you want these photos?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:29 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe now would be a good time to have your original dash recovered in leather by either Classic 9 or Paul Champagne.

I've had four windshields installed in my 951. I cannot stress it enough that in order to do it right, all the trim and the dash should be removed. All the old urethane needs to be removed too.

Quick Reply: Windshield Install Disaster