968 Forum 1992-1995

HVAC fan control shot

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HVAC fan control shot

The speed selector switch for the HVAC fan has gone bad: the middle positions create a situation where the fan runs for a few seconds and then dies. Full-up works fine, so does position 1 as I recall.

Relay??? I feel like I just changed it.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

IIRC, sounds like when my resistor pack (correct term?) went out. It's a piece of ceramic kit under the plastic shroud at the rear of the engine compartment. It is near or attached to the blower motor under that shroud. Not hard to replace, but I'll be darned if I have the PET or any photos to share.

Perhaps someone has pics out here? Bloody expensive, $150+ back then. I tested by swapping out a buddy's "good" part to confirm the issue before I ponied up for a new one from Porsche.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Hello John, There is a picture of the Series Resistor in Clark's Garage.com. Check out the link below for its location. The first picture, item #6, is the resistor. It can be removed and the bottom coils cleaned up with White Vinegar or Electrical Contact Cleaner and a hard tooth brush. Be careful removing the plastic cover. It is very thin and will break easy, about $80.00 new.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/hvac-01.htm

Cheers,
Larry
Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Thanks folks, this is very helpful!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:58 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

I removed the resistor. I should have thought to take a photo but I didn't.

Basically a series of nichrome resistance coils on a bakelite body: very German. To the extent anything's ceramic, that might be said of the insulating material spacing the coil wires.

There's a reed-switch kinda thing on the body of the resistor assembly; was very dirty. I cleaned the heck out of it and everything else; this fixed the problem. However, the insulating material which keeps the resistor coils apart from one another, and the flexible gasket for the whole assembly have both gotten very old, so I have replacements for resistor and gasket coming in from Germany. About $65.00 at Sunset.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John Etnier
I removed the resistor. I should have thought to take a photo but I didn't.

Basically a series of nichrome resistance coils on a bakelite body: very German. To the extent anything's ceramic, that might be said of the insulating material spacing the coil wires.

There's a reed-switch kinda thing on the body of the resistor assembly; was very dirty. I cleaned the heck out of it and everything else; this fixed the problem. However, the insulating material which keeps the resistor coils apart from one another, and the flexible gasket for the whole assembly have both gotten very old, so I have replacements for resistor and gasket coming in from Germany. About $65.00 at Sunset.

Quick Reply: HVAC fan control shot