968 Forum 1992-1995

Water Leaking in Front of Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:28 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Leaking in Front of Vehicle

Hi everyone hoping someone can shed some light on this. I drive a '93 968 coupe standard no upgrades.

It's been pretty sunny here the last few days in Toronto, and there hasn't been any rain...I keep my car in the garage, but yesterday I noticed a puddle under the front of the vehicle...I haven't washed it in a week...

I checked underneath the car there is a cover there, and it's water for sure, but can't figure out where it's coming from (and why)....

I drove it around and this morning again another puddle of water....

Does anyone know why this is happening?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any fluid seeks the lowest level to leak out. You don't say exactly where the water puddle is located. The front covers too much area. You say it is water and not antifreeze. Remove the engine under tray so you have a clear view of the area. Could it be from the windshield fluid tank? Are the water drain holes cleaned out forward of the windshield? I use 10 ga. grass trimmer line to clean out the drain holes. Please keep us posted on what you find.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 03-27-2011, 06:04 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

Leaking heater valve?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:36 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Thanks for the replies - I took a couple of pictures hopefully this will give you some sort of idea where it's coming from.
Attached Images   
Old 03-27-2011, 06:49 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i Know you say it's water, but that looks like a spot where you would see a coolant leak. You should see some moisture at the bottom of the radiator if you peak your head underneath. Check your upper hoses on the driver side going into the radiator as well as the thermofan switch, which can only really be seen from underneath.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:08 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Originally Posted by RL911
i Know you say it's water, but that looks like a spot where you would see a coolant leak. You should see some moisture at the bottom of the radiator if you peak your head underneath. Check your upper hoses on the driver side going into the radiator as well as the thermofan switch, which can only really be seen from underneath.
Thank you will check this out in the morning....
Old 03-27-2011, 09:01 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope it is a hose. I had a hose leak and left coolant in that exact same location.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Originally Posted by rgs944
I hope it is a hose. I had a hose leak and left coolant in that exact same location.
If it's coolant will there be a color to the liquid? I checked this morning and some of it is dried up but it did not stain. I checked right underneath the car and I can see the liquid on the front cover.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 129 Posts

That is about where the coolant overflow exits. It could also be condensation from the AC system if you have been running that. The receiver dryer is located in that area as well.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its coolant it might be the seal on the plastic side tanks. It will smell sweet and be slightly more slippery than water when you rub it between your thumb and finger. It could also be something as simple as a loose hose clamp. Check you coolant level and that will give you an indication if you are losing coolant.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:50 AM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Looks like the coolant level is fine, and no leaks in the hose. My mechanic said that there was alot of water buildup in the rad from the moisture since I don't drive it everyday.
It's stopped leaking now so I'm happy about that....

I do notice when I start the car and I'm ready to go I can actually hear the water draining.....I guess I need to drive it more often.

Thanks everyone for the feedback/support.

Quick Reply: Water Leaking in Front of Vehicle