968 Forum 1992-1995

More fun than a 944T?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 03:46 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Damian in NJ
[B]Well, I'm glad you agreed finally about where the cars were built-although you wouldn't take my word, Eric K's will do fine!

As for the Porsche engineer who says certain 951's were built at Porsche-I've not seen any written confimation of that anywhere, and until I do I'm unconvinced. I doubt Porsche would be building 951's and 968's at Porsche, and S2's at Audi at the same time.

Yep I agree and yes you were right I should take your word for it. But will research some more as I now want to know where my car was built?

As I said - love the looks of 968 and with a turbo and more power in it - I would go for it at once.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:50 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by SimonK
You are semi right when you say in the real world there is not much in it between 968 and 951S, but a 951S will pull away from you and eventually it will be gone. It wont be night and day but trust me it will pull away and leave you behind.

As far as modifications are concerned you are right. With the turbo you always want more. Some guys tune their cars to 350bhp and above - reliably? - I would question that. However I have a chip upgrade only since my car had 70K miles on the clock. I now have 150K miles with some serious driving and it's still perfect - nothing exploded yet.

280bhp = still reliable.

As I said both are great cars, your's being the younger brother which looks more modern - and I love the looks - but it can't outrun 951S.
Why are you always bench racing on the internet? You just pissed off another guy in two different forums because both of you were arguing the torque and horsepower numbers of 944 S, S2, and Turbo cars. Take a chill pill, dude.

My 1:10 scale RC car will rip your 951 a new butthole 0-60, handling, braking, and value. And it's only got 1 horsepower.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:47 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

This is old news and you are stuck in the time warp! And thanks for the offer but I don't need to take a chill pill.

However democracy as I am aware is all about the right to a free speech for all people. Being nice to people and agreeing all of the time is nothing but boring and counter productive. I like constructive debates - this is how we learn. Sometimes they get emotional - after all, car talk is.

As to your point with ''laughter'' you are not making any input value in this case apart from joining the debate way to late - therefore you contribution = 0.

And you replica? I thought that was funny - you see I also have a sense of humor.

Now, did I **** you off too?
Old 07-31-2003, 12:51 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh OHH, 2 days late and I'm stuck in the time warp. You guys must be HOOKED UP in the UK...we don't even get Internet that fast here. You're really something...someone I admire. I wish I could be on top of current posts each minute as they happen, just like you.

No I'm not pissed. Perhaps you can see [or you forgot to check] that this is a chat forum. I call your bench racing silly because it's not something I really take part in...I never asked you to become defensive so please wait next time until you're told [since this is a Republic and all]. Thanks.

And we'll talk about contribution = 0 when you're a paid member of the Rennlist forums instead of just a freeloader.

BTW, nice car. I'm sure it's fast and fun, just like my car. And no hard feelings because, once again, this is the Internet. Have a nice day.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:48 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Analysing your reply;

''You're really something...someone I admire'' = patronising remark.

''I call your bench racing silly'' = you pissed off another guy was what you said previously now you are toning down your statement as you realised that you might have pissed me off by saying that and that’s why I have gone defensive.

''And we'll talk about contribution = 0 when you're a paid member of the Rennlist forums instead of just a freeloader'' = feeling principal - does it makes you feel beter? - I was referring to your input on the issue and you are stuffing it in my face how I am not a member but just a measly user - like most people here actually! Rennlist is not a competition it's only a forum mate - although a great one but don’t give up your life over it.

‘’BTW, nice car. I'm sure it's fast and fun, just like my car. And no hard feelings because, once again, this is the Internet. Have a nice day’’. = Trying to make friends, so I don't go ballistic again and take you on with a post which was read by over 1300 users?

Don't worry I won't and I love you too.

You also have a nice car. Now what will it do to 100mph? Only joking…

Enjoy it but I am all worn out from extraneous long ping-pong posts. You have a nice day too...

Last edited by SimonK; 07-31-2003 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally posted by Eric_k
All 944/951/S2 production was done at the Neckarsulm plant leased from Audi until 1991.

The 968 was built at the Zuffenhausen plant.

Eric
... and some of the very last S2s were built in Zuffenhausen just before the 968 production started. As MY91 cars they have ZMS (S = Stuttgart) instead of ZMN (N = Neckarsulm) on their VIN.

Old 08-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Thom, I didn't know that.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:15 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Well, for some added perspective, my MY91 944 turbo cabrio has a big "N" in the VIN, so it was built at the Neckarsulm plant.

I guess that must make it a lousy Audi, then, -and water cooled, and front engined, and not a real Porsche, and...

But you wouldn't know it going 150+ mph topless on the highway
Old 08-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

And all the cabs had to go to ASC to be chopped as well!
Old 08-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: More fun than a 944T?

Originally posted by fluid15
I'm not trying to stir the mud here - but how does the 968 compare overall to a 944 Turbo? Is a 968 a step up from a 944 Turbo S (both unmodified)?
I have an '88 Turbo & a 92 Tiptonic 968 & they are very different cars.

The 968 is easier to drive with the low end torque, the 944T screams on Boost.

The advantage of the Turbo is that you can tune to your heart's delight, Chips, MAP systems, higher boost pressures, bigger turbos, cat pipes etc etc. You can get the 944T to 350 Crank HP without going crazy. The only performance engine upgrade that I have seen are a few Supercharges (deleting the A/C) & replacing the whole engines with guess what - 944 Turbo engines.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just found this thread & DO NOT want to start another war of any kind- ALL 944's & 968's (including 924's) are AWESOME cars IMO! But, you were asking about performance diffs- many variables, but, WHEN TESTED originally, when new, the 968CS (w/M030, etc) ran WS in 1:43.3 whereas the Turbo S ran WS sevral times in 1:41 flat... Just for infomational purposes...

I always thought the two would be almost equal, but this is >2 seconds off by professional testers- not sure why- although it COULD have something to do w/the specific cars that were tested- I mean, all produciotn cars vary fro one to another, so, maybe the 968 was a little weak when compared to it's peers? Not sure, but... just thought I'd throw this in several months late...
Old 10-22-2003, 12:40 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Yes, on the track there is probably a performance advantage to the Turbo. On the street, driven at 8-9 10ths, that advantage goes away. And you can speak of pinion bearing problems, but all I read are people having issues with the Turbos on these boards. You see many owners going from 944-951's to 968's, but not many the other way.

I'd love a 951 track car just to spank some aircooled guys, however. Or let me say I really love a 968 Turbo S to do the same.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:45 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah- I completely understand- I LOVE ALL 968's- only bought my Turbo b/c I THOUGHT I had found it better condition than the other 944 series cars I had looked at- the only thing I really don't like about the 968 is the gearing & I think I could even get used to that, for the most part- ESPECIALLY if a convertible /M030...
Old 10-22-2003, 01:07 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

If you want a cab mo30 you'll have to make yourself one. No cabs were sold with mo30, Porsche must not have thought the chassis was up to it. The cars respond well to upgraded sways and springs, from personal experience.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:44 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that's what I thought- convertibles always get the shaft end...

Quick Reply: More fun than a 944T?