968 Forum 1992-1995

Stall

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 PM
968 GUY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stall

Got a problem with the '94 Tip. It has stalled 4 times in the past couple of months. The first two times were a couple of weeks apart, and oddly enough in the same place on a road I normally drive on. Thought maybe there was some wierd electronic interference messing with the computer until tues. of this week when it stalled as I was entering the freeway, then again later on at a stop light.
I have ordered a new fuel filter, fuel pump check valve, plugs are new, checked wires, dist., rotor, etc. Relay is fairly new, but have ordered another new one as I had to use spare in 951.

Did a "technical tap" on TPS, relays, and any other elec. component I thought may cause this.
Injectors were refurbished by Witchhunter recently.
I have had a couple of hard starting issues in past, but after a couple of tries, car started and ran fine....as it did after the stalls.
This is what leads me to believe I need to change fuel pump and chk vlv.

Any other input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Ken
Old 02-10-2011, 01:49 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

You might try cleaning and re torquing all engine, battery and chassis grounds along with firewall DME electrical connection plug! Probably not the cause but it cant hurt anything to eliminate, sounds like you have a short somewhere. If when the 968 is running it pulls hard and is all there then it cant really be a fuel issue!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:43 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Does it stall as you are slowing down? If so check the connection at the trans, above the resivoir. If the Tip computer picks up any problem with the trans, it goes into a safety mode. If you are already moving when it enters this mode, the trans will lock in 4th gear, causing the car to stall when you slow down. When you start it back up, you will only have reverse and second gear if it is still in safety mode.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My car had similar issues, hard starting, stalled out. It was the DME relay, bought a new solid state one from Pelican and cleaned the contacts, have not had any issues since, starts right up every time. Cheap fix if that's your problem, start there.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 PM
968 GUY
Racer

I did order a new DME relay, along with the other things.
The first two times I was at a steady speed, and the car actually shut down,lights were on, so elec. power was not interrupted. It restarted right away.
Third time, I was accelerating and going onto the highway from an on ramp. Engine shut down, but restarted quickly.
Fourth time, was at a stop light. I believe I had already come to a complete stop, then engine just shut down! Had to try cranking it twice, and it started and ran nicely.

Have had no limp home mode issues with Tip.
Will check and clean grounds when I do the filter and check valve.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:31 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Its also possible that your rear engine reference sensor or the hall sender on front upper timing gear have shorts and are going bad! Those are hard to test so if they are original I would just replace.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 AM
RL911
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Be careful with the hall sensor, when I took a peak at mine it literally crumbled in my hands. Had to use epoxy to hold the wires in.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 PM
968 GUY
Racer

It is the DME relay. Could have sworn I replaced the thing 2 yrs. ago. It died at the driveway today, walked to the garage, got the old relay I saved from the 951 and a screwdriver, went back, tapped on relay, car did restart, tapped on relay again, DIED. Changed relays, got it started, parked it. Luckily I was only going to Subway.
The new relay I ordered should be here tomorrow or Wed.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:36 PM
968 GUY
Racer

So, I replaced DME relay, fuel filter and check valve. Amazingly the car started. It also seems that it is not idling as rough as it had been. Thought the engine mounts or the flywheel or converter was going bad (Tiptronic). Still need to drive it to check it out a little more.
The relay I replaced had a July 93 date on it! I know that does not mean it was never replaced, but still pretty good.
Get this though, the DME I had taken out of the 951 a few months ago has a 1987 date on it! not too bad

Quick Reply: Stall