275hp 968NA motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 03:29 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 275hp 968NA motor?

Hello all,

Maybe someone can set this straight. I thought that 968 engines (except the 968 turbos of course) came from the factory with 236hp, And that Clubsports had the same motor. I thought the Clubsports top end was higher due to lowered weight, and Aerodynamics.

I was surfing the flat-6 website when I noticed that they said the Clubsports had 275hp! Is this la'git, or Bull$#!%? And if it is true, Does anyone know how to get those extra 39hp? I know I would welcome those ponies. Here's the link if anyone's curious.
http://www.flat-6.net/

Roberto
Old 06-11-2001, 01:39 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I noticed this too. It is not true. It is a filthy lie.

Don't listen to them.
Old 06-16-2001, 05:10 PM
Clark Hamerly
5th Gear

I have been told no horepower upgrades claimed by exhaust(Mufflers or test test pipe ) mfgs and or chip mfgs are for real.
Specifically B&B and Autothoity. I can find no one making headers but can tell you the Porsche factory header with the # 1& 4 cylinder meging 2' before the exhaust is generally not condusive to the best performance. Have you has any experience with Super Chips? Their claims are big
Happy Motoring from the Burgh,
Clark Hamerly
Old 06-17-2001, 02:16 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Hi Clark. Thanks for answering my Head question. After talking to the people on 968.net, I have decided not to try to tweak my head. Go to their discussion form and scroll down to the message Titled "968 Performance Increases to be had in head?".

To my knowledge no one makes a header for the 968. Also, all of those HP claims are filthy lies. Check out http://www.968.net/modifications/bruces_dynos.htm
Old 06-20-2001, 04:54 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

236hp for US spec & 240hp for euronspec cars are correct figures.I haven't seen header manufactures for 968 here in europe.
Check out this german web site they olso have quite impressive figures for chipped non turbo cars. http://www.hs-elektronik.com/automarken/porsche-d.html

Olli
Old 06-21-2001, 11:26 AM
cale
Instructor

This is to Olli:
That site listed, though I can't read German I can definitly do math, and the numbers listed for the 968 seemed to imply that with a chip upgrade a good amount of free hp could be had, has anyone checked this place out or have any real experience? The chip for the 944S2 also lists a nice little HP bump. If anyone can actually verify these I think alot of people would be interested, seeing as free hp from a n/a car seems to be the holy grail.
Old 06-21-2001, 02:39 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Talking

Cale,
i don't have any experience of that chip.I found it via german "rennlist".i have visited this list sometime since iam going to have vacation on July and we are going to spent two weeks in Bavaria area.Of course i asked fellow german Porsche drivers where to get parts i need.I can ask them i they have experience of these chips.I can read a little bit german but i have to ask some help from my better half; she's half swiss and can speak and write german fluently (lucky me)Some times i hope i had studied more lanuages at school; now i can speak and write poorly english,swedish,frenc and of course finnish a little bit better
Olli
Old 06-21-2001, 03:17 PM
cale
Instructor

I ran it through Babbelfish (or 'the fish' as its sometimes known) to get the english translation, as I only speak English, Spanish, and some Russian, and I doubt there are too many Russian Porsche drivers with the current state of their economy. I'm sure high claims like those have been made before as to what a chip can do, but it would be interesting how they got those performance numbers, and if anyone not associated with the company has some dyno numbers to back it up. Either way, I think we have all read Bruce's Dynos so there is no need for that seemingly obligatory posting whenever people talk about enhancing the performance of a 968
Old 06-21-2001, 05:30 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Red face

What comes to russians and Porsches, there actually are some new Porsches there.Unfortunately there are olso some stolen ones.A friend of mine has several years ago 911 which was stolen.It was located six months later in Moscow.It even had russian plates on it.It was registered legally under russian registration.They were so stupid that they still used original VIN#
Olli
Old 03-18-2002, 09:57 PM
CBass
Racer

If you dumped quite a bit of money into a 3.0l motor, you could get a bit more power. Forabout as much money, you could turbocharge it, giving you as much power as you want.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:04 AM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

yeah! Kick his *** CBASS!

Couldn't help it...Dumb and Dumber rocked!
Old 03-22-2002, 02:27 PM
CBass
Racer

I'm surprised more people don't get that one!

The sad truth is that there is little in the way of bolt ons for the 968 motor. The 944 S2 motor was made as a prototype 968 motor. Everything they could do to reliably get more power out of the motor, they did for the production 968. The only economical way to get more power is to turbocharge, and for that you need either $2000 worth of pistons, or $2000 worth of connecting rods, plus a custom intake and turbocharger.

Quick Reply: 275hp 968NA motor?