968 Forum 1992-1995

Transaxle fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:29 PM
AllenM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transaxle fluid flush

I've got a 1992 968 with LSD. What transaxle gear oil should I use? I researched it a few months ago, then got confused with all the different choices for non-LSD, pre 1993 LSD, and post 1993 LSD. Before I spend hours searching for the right answer again, can someone please point me in the right direction?
Oh, and how much do I need? 3qts?

I figured I'd order from Paragon:
http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...transfluid.htm
Old 01-05-2011, 07:49 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need three quarts, Red Line is over kill for a street car Valvoline works fine it will save you some cash. Use 75W90 weight. If its the factory LSD, meaning its a clutch type, a friction modifier for a clutch type LSD is a good idea. Im not sure off the top of my head if Porsche reccomends using a friction modifier or not but I have good results using a friction modifier.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:51 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have used Redline and Mobil1 7590. I found Redline to get notchier over time in comparison to Mobil1. Get a hydraulic pump from the autostore.
Make sure you loosen the fill hole plug before you drain your fluid. You don't want to be caught with no fluid in your transaxle.
Good luck.
Raj
Old 01-09-2011, 02:21 PM
AllenM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does the Mobil1 75w90 already have friction modifier or do I have to buy a separate bottle? It looks like the RL 75w90 already has the friction modifiers added.

From the Redline website:
75W90 Gear Oil - recommended for most street driven and racing differentials. Excellent performance in conventional and limited-slip units. Also for limited-slip manual transaxles which require a 90 WT oil. Contains limited-slip friction modifiers.

Also, I was going to use the funnel+tube technique instead of the pump. That is good advise about checking the fill plug first.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:05 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

There are 2 Redline, one is NS, for non slip. You have to make sure you confirm what kind of transmission you have, does it have lsd, if so, is it clutch type. That would determine if you need friction modifiers.
The pump method is very easy and clean to use. Definitely worth a try. Use new washers if possible. They are the same size as our oil drain plug washers.
Regards.
Raj

Quick Reply: Transaxle fluid flush