Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Advice on my search for a 968 CS

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:43 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

D.

is your yellow cab the same yellow as the CS pictured above ?

it looks like a lighter shade.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Speed Yellow was a stock CS color, but I have no way to know it that's SY (although probably) but with paint to sample they'd do it whatever color you like. I know there are a couple Ferrari Fly Yellow Carrera RS America's out there, for example.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice is to make your own.

Buy a vanilla 968 in the color you want.
Then modify.
There are just a hand full of differences.
And if you are in Europe, look for a 968 Sport.
It's a CS with a/c
Old 10-21-2010, 05:10 AM
FraMac
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nski
Fraser, there is one for sale, but it has yellow cup2, was this standard? or have they been changed? its done over 100k and belt, clutch has been done, 4 owners, normal cloth seats not buckets. Tempting, but not rushing into it!

As Damien from NJ says theres one in Maltons, but no strips on the side, cup splits, bucket seats I think around 80k miles asking £15k+
North of 100k mileage is normal for 968s , and if it'sa got all the history to go with it then shouldn't be a problem. Worth seeing if pinion bearings have been done - from experience it's a dear job. When I had mine done I got the clutch done at the same time (although the one in it looked OK) and I changed from dual mass flywheel to motorsport (worth having the flywheel looked at if pinion bearing is being done anyway).

Keep fit windows, or leccy ones?

Fraser
Old 10-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lord_Galva
My advice is to make your own.

Buy a vanilla 968 in the color you want.
Then modify.
There are just a hand full of differences.
And if you are in Europe, look for a 968 Sport.
It's a CS with a/c
I like your advice, was told yesterday that the CS was just a 968 with less specd than the sport and the better and very expensive back then Lux? Thats was the only difference, I thought it was like the 964 RS where they did shave off the spec, but the glass and panels were lighter!

Guess I could de-spec a Sport 968, unless I buy a 968CS with M080 suspension with LSD and bucket seats, Cup1 wheels and in white, yellow or Maritime OR PEPPERMINT GREEN!!!!!!.

Oooooppppps just seen some more appear on the Ads, check you guys later, thanks.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nski
I like your advice, was told yesterday that the CS was just a 968 with less specd than the sport and the better and very expensive back then Lux? Thats was the only difference, I thought it was like the 964 RS where they did shave off the spec, but the glass and panels were lighter!

Guess I could de-spec a Sport 968, unless I buy a 968CS with M080 suspension with LSD and bucket seats, Cup1 wheels and in white, yellow or Maritime OR PEPPERMINT GREEN!!!!!!.

Oooooppppps just seen some more appear on the Ads, check you guys later, thanks.
From what I gathered it was a 968 with 50kgs less weight. It was awarded "Best handling car of the year" in 93' by a few magazines.
I believe the list of mods were:
Manual windows
2 speaker stereo
Rear seat delete
A/C delete
Rear wiper delete
Sport bucket seats
Lighter alternator
Slightly stiffer springs
Cool 930S steering wheel

I would love to see pictures of what they did to the rear seat.
I really like the extra cargo space you get by putting the rear seats down.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Lord_Galva; 10-23-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Forgot about the stereo and windows
Old 10-23-2010, 04:09 PM
FraMac
Advanced

From what I gathered it was a 968 with 50kgs less weight. It was awarded "Best handling car of the year" in 93' by a few magazines.
I believe the list of mods were:
Manual windows
2 speaker stereo
Rear seat delete
A/C delete
Rear wiper delete
Sport bucket seats
Lighter alternator
Slightly stiffer springs
Cool 930S steering wheel

I really like the extra cargo space you get by putting the rear seats down.
Depending on the weather here tomorrow I'll try and get some pictures for you and post them.

In addition to the points you've mentioned, the mirrors aren't electric, the interior trim (ie carpeting) is thinner, the wiring loom is made with thinner wire, and there's a daft parcel shelf fitted, which weighs a whole load. No dolly mixture box under the bonnet for servicing gloves and the like, no electrical tailgate release. No analogue clock (as mentioned I think earlier on this thread) and the digi clock doubles as a stop watch Ride height is a bit lower, and the buckets you mentioned are an option, rather than stock. Central locking runs off two slaves, rather than a master and a slave.

The CS is 70 kg lighter than the standard car. If I remember correctly about 180 Clubsports were produced for the UK market.

The pics of my car don't include the parcel shelf (unless I can find some old ones) - I took the shelf out when the full cage was fitted.

Fraser.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FraMac
Depending on the weather here tomorrow I'll try and get some pictures for you and post them.

In addition to the points you've mentioned, the mirrors aren't electric, the interior trim (ie carpeting) is thinner, the wiring loom is made with thinner wire, and there's a daft parcel shelf fitted, which weighs a whole load. No dolly mixture box under the bonnet for servicing gloves and the like, no electrical tailgate release. No analogue clock (as mentioned I think earlier on this thread) and the digi clock doubles as a stop watch Ride height is a bit lower, and the buckets you mentioned are an option, rather than stock. Central locking runs off two slaves, rather than a master and a slave.

The CS is 70 kg lighter than the standard car. If I remember correctly about 180 Clubsports were produced for the UK market.

The pics of my car don't include the parcel shelf (unless I can find some old ones) - I took the shelf out when the full cage was fitted.

Fraser.
Wow, they really went to town on it.
Guess I am going to start ripping stuff out of my car to get it that much lighter.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:42 PM
FraMac
Advanced

Here you go.

Basically a seat shaped indent on each side which is carpeted

If you're going to a track day you can stash crash helmets, cover alls etc and they dont get thrown round the trunk. With the standard 968 comfort seats access to the back is good.

The last two pics show the manual tailgate release - in the first pic, follow the three bolts upwards that hold the cage into the captive plate - just above the top bolt is the lever (slightly to left of top bolt).

To operate it you open the left hand door (passenger door in the UK) and pull it towards you - it disengages the pins.

Side on view

Hoping this satisfies your curiosity!

Quick Reply: Advice on my search for a 968 CS