Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Balance belt idler size/adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Apex
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Balance belt idler size/adjustment?

I'm having trouble setting the balance belt idler pulley to spec. The manual says it should preload the belt above by zero-1mm, and leave a gap to the belt and roller below of 0.5mm.

I can do one or the other - but the opposing gap will be far too big - I would guess 3 or 4 mm.

I have the idler set now such that it just touches the upper belt, with a larger gap below.

Anyone seen this before? I've flipped the roller both ways and been in there twice thinking I'm missing something obvious - but there does not seem to be a way to set it properly.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Loosen the roller completely and then try to get it as close to spec before tightening. Never had issues.
Raj
Old 08-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Apex
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Raj thanks for your reply - love that white car.

Am I hearing you say you've not been able to get it quite right either? I swear that roller needs to be several mm larger if it's going to work as advertised.

I have a very early car - Oct '91 - sometimes strange bits don't fit relative to the later cars as you know but this roller is a 944 part number.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Apex, what I meant was, I have not had problems getting it to align as per factory manual.
Regards.
Raj

Quick Reply: Balance belt idler size/adjustment?