968 Forum 1992-1995

Question for Cab Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:00 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Question for Cab Owners

I just had a PPI done on a 95 cab that showed a couple of issues with the top and the rear trunk lock.

One issue is that one of the latching mechanisms, where the top meets the top of the windshield, is not functioning properly. The top closes fine but one side does not latch securely.

The other top issue is there is a gap between the back side of one of the door windows and the cab top. I don't know if the seal is bad or if it is out of alignment. I don't know if you can make any adjustments.

The trunk issue is that it won't open with either with the key or the button inside the car. The owner said the key lock was temperamental but the button inside worked. The PPI said neither worked.

Are these common issues with 968 cabs? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Shawn

Last edited by swmic; 08-07-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:26 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Shawn, there are adjustments on the top for various areas.
As far as the trunk motor, sounds like it's not getting any power.
Raj
Old 08-07-2010, 02:28 PM
LTCMontana
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 462 Likes on 237 Posts

Not to sound sinister but if the gap from the window and the top cover are from the same side, it might indicate a tweaked subframe.

The lock mechinism might have too much tension on it to work and the relay finally gave out.

The cables that raise and lower the top can be adjusted to get the top to line up better (which might get rid of the gap). It's pretty tricky to adjust though.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Having twice purchased Cab's with decent looking tops - 964 and 968 - only later to discover that the upright aluminum frame was cracked ... I would strongly recommend you have a Convertible top expert look this over. Kind of a PPI for the Cab top. Or have the Seller agree to pay half the cost of inspection & repair if needed. These uprights can be hard to find & Very expensive for a 968. They can be welded by a very skilled shop, and that is what I had done in Seattle. A pro can adjust the top - but if it has been operated out of spec something could be cracked/ bent and either way $X,000 repair. Been there done that twice.
As for the trunk - are you aware there is a manual cable pull in the Driver Side fender? Inside the vent in the door jam. Good luck !

Last edited by Jacks911; 08-07-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling chk
Old 08-07-2010, 06:57 PM
oppositelock
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the latching, the recepticles in the header can come loose and also the latches in the top header panel can come loose. For the gap, could be window problem or top problem. Top problem must be handled carefuly by a pro as mentioned above. Make sure the PPI knows the ignition must be on for the trunk button to work. Lock cylinder electrically operates the trunk lock motor, so contacts are worn/dirty.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:46 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks all for the info. The car is suppose to have all factory paint, so I don't think it's bent. The auto top is disabled so that certainty may indicate additional problems with the top. I'm going to take Jacks911 advice and have the top checked out by a convertible shop. I had the PPI done at a near-by p-car shop, highly recommended by Rennlister's. However, they probably don't see too may 968 cabs come through the shop.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Quick Reply: Question for Cab Owners