968 Forum 1992-1995

Swapping diff fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:47 AM
macadamianut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping diff fluid

I understand the basics of this job from the manual, but is it easier to remove the rear wheel for better access to the fill hole? Is it okay to fill when the car is not level on jack stands??

Any advice or rennlsit magic tricks?

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a breaker bar and take the wheel off. To add the fluid I would want the car level on jackstands, you fill from the top and add until it's at the base of the hole, so it should be level. I use a pump that I bought at autozone to suck in the fluid and then squirt it into the fill hole, but you can use a long tube and a funnel, it just takes longer that way. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

I've only changed it in an open bay so no comment on removing the wheel. If you're going to fill it while the car is not level don't rely on the check hole to confirm the level, keep track of how much you put in. It's not a bad idea to let the new gear oil sit out in the sun, in the bottles of course, for maybe a half hour to warm up, especially if you plan on using a hand pump.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

I didn't take the wheel off, just got the car up on jackstands and used the hand pump. Nice and easy.

Just in case you've never done this before...don't forget that manual transmission gear oil is the most foul-smelling hydraulic lubricant on the planet and will permanently ruin your clothing. And you will never ever be able to clean the pump thoroughly enough that your wife will allow you to keep it in the garage, so you'll have to store it outdoors.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:21 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JDS968
I didn't take the wheel off, just got the car up on jackstands and used the hand pump. Nice and easy.

Just in case you've never done this before...don't forget that manual transmission gear oil is the most foul-smelling hydraulic lubricant on the planet and will permanently ruin your clothing. And you will never ever be able to clean the pump thoroughly enough that your wife will allow you to keep it in the garage, so you'll have to store it outdoors.
The smell kinda grows on ya. I somewhat enjoy it now.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:24 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

And you will never ever be able to clean the pump thoroughly enough that your wife will allow you to keep it in the garage, so you'll have to store it outdoors.
You need to change your wife! j/k
Garage is my space, house is hers

The job is much easier with the wheel off. The drain and fill plugs both use the same size washer as the engine oil drain plug. Make sure you get new washers. Also, as always, crack open the fill plug 1st to make sure that it's not seized. Last thing you want to do is drain your gear oil and then be stuck with not being able to add any new fluid.
Good luck.
Raj
Old 06-02-2010, 03:09 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Ah ha! I knew there were tricks, secrets, cautions, and preferred methods.

Thanks all.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:18 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odb812
The smell kinda grows on ya. I somewhat enjoy it now.
I can't imagine how...it literally nauseates me.

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
You need to change your wife! j/k

Make sure you get new washers.
I know you're supposed to...but have any of you guys ever tried using the old one, assuming it's in good condition, and torquing it down to spec? I tend to reuse washers after carefully inspecting them, and I've never had any problems so far, transaxle plugs included.

Also, as always, crack open the fill plug 1st to make sure that it's not seized. Last thing you want to do is drain your gear oil and then be stuck with not being able to add any new fluid.
Excellent advice, kinda common sense but always bears repeating!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:22 AM
AllenM
Advanced

I'll be performing this task soon also and this is exactly the type of practical advise I need. What brand fluid to you all prefer?
I've got a 92 LSD 6spd by the way.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllenM
I'll be performing this task soon also and this is exactly the type of practical advise I need. What brand fluid to you all prefer?
I've got a 92 LSD 6spd by the way.
Mobil Delvac 1 75W-90 fully synthetic, especially with the LSD.

It's not available by the quart, you have to get it a gallon at a time (assuming you don't get it by the drum). Furthermore, most places want to sell the gallon jugs by the case. You need to either order a gallon online, or get it at a place like Grainger (that's where I got mine).

They also make a Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant, which strangely enough is not the same thing. Don't use it.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:31 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

A lot of people like Swepco for these cars. I use Redline in both of mine.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Mobil Delvac 1 75W-90 fully synthetic, especially with the LSD.

It's not available by the quart, you have to get it a gallon at a time (assuming you don't get it by the drum). Furthermore, most places want to sell the gallon jugs by the case. You need to either order a gallon online, or get it at a place like Grainger (that's where I got mine).

They also make a Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant, which strangely enough is not the same thing. Don't use it.
Great Info JDS. We do have a Grainger by us. So, how do they sell it? By Gallon? or you take a container and they pour it.
I am currently using standard Mobil1 75W90.
Raj
Old 06-03-2010, 06:39 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by macadamianut
I understand the basics of this job from the manual, but is it easier to remove the rear wheel for better access to the fill hole? Is it okay to fill when the car is not level on jack stands??

Any advice or rennlsit magic tricks?

Thanks.
This migth help doing it without spilling tranny fluid all over yourself.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:18 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ernie9468
This migth help doing it without spilling tranny fluid all over yourself.
That's definitely worth it. I've always used those little pumps that screw into the top of the bottle and your arms get real tired trying to pump 2.5 quarts with that.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:54 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Great Info JDS. We do have a Grainger by us. So, how do they sell it? By Gallon? or you take a container and they pour it.
They sell it by the gallon jug. I can actually take a photo of what the jug looks like with the current labeling, if anybody's interested.

Note that Grainger might insist on selling you things under a company account (they're technically a wholesaler, I think). This doesn't necessarily mean you have to CHARGE it to that account, though, so if you can't get one of your own, just find somebody who will let you put it on theirs, and you can pay for it at the counter.

Otherwise you can always just order a jug online.

Originally Posted by odb812
That's definitely worth it. I've always used those little pumps that screw into the top of the bottle and your arms get real tired trying to pump 2.5 quarts with that.
My pump is even more awkward than that, it's just got a rubber tube going out either end of the pump, so I stuff one tube into the bottle and the other tube into the fill port in the transaxle...

As long as I can keep both tubes in place, I've never had a problem pumping the fluid...maybe mine moves the fluid faster?

Quick Reply: Swapping diff fluid