968 Forum 1992-1995

Brake rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:08 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Brake rotors.

If i want to replace my brake rotors, for a stock configuration, what would you suggest? OEM from Sunset? What will they cost? OEM pads fine as well? Thanks
Old 05-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll have to paint the cone if you buy aftermarket.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:07 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
OEM pads fine as well?
Go with Performance Friction.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

I had OEM Pagid on one of my cabrios and took them off, too noisy with the top down.

Also OEM pads eat rotors IMO. Not worth the bother given all the great alternatives.

Pads are really determined by what you do with the car. For street and even spirited driving up to but not including some track sessions I like PBR Deluxe, and on other cars I have used Mintex Red Box for the same sort of use. Fine IMO for AutoX but not capable for several laps of a track. If you are getting that kind of brake heat on the street you are probably doing it wrong.

PBR also makes a fine semi-metallic pad (Metal Masters) they also provide pads to Beck Arnley and other suppliers so if you find a good deal from them it might be PBR pads in the box. I have also run Bendix semi-metallic pads and though they were fine.

Ceramic pads can sometimes be noisy, sometimes not. I have not messed around wit them.

All in all for the street I like quiet rotor-friendly pads as pads are cheap and easy to replace. If people suggest track-ish pads to run with street tires I would not pay them much mind.

-Joel.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

I'll go with Joel after trying several brand I bougth (PBR DELUXE )for my 944 & had nothing but sucess with them ,no squeal minimum dust & good stopage power "for street & spirit driving) the one I presently have on my 968 are OE & can't hardly wait until they are gone they produce a lot of dust even after a short ride witch is a PITA to clean off my wheels.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:14 AM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched from Pagid to Pelican's Cool Carbon this spring and I'm liking them so far, quiet and not much dust... Donn
Old 05-04-2010, 05:53 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Metal Masters are good street pads with little dust. On rotors, find out the cost and the actual brand from both the dealer and the aftermarket one, then compare.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:08 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Balo is an oem supplier and their rotors do come with the painted hats.
Raj
Old 05-04-2010, 04:09 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
If people suggest track-ish pads to run with street tires I would not pay them much mind.
If you're talking about something unfriendly like Hawk Blues, I'd agree with you entirely, but talking about something like Hawk HPS or PF Carbon Metallic, I'd respectfully disagree. Having used both, I've found that they're perfectly docile on the street (the HPSs maybe a bit more so), and excellent choices for the track, the HPSs being more appropriate for light track use and the PFs sufficient for extreme use. For a car that never sees the track, it's not often important...but in a lightweight sports car, even if you normally drive like a grandpa, don't you want to at least be READY to flog the car through a twisty road or something, should the opportunity and mood arise?

I mean you make your own decisions with your own money, obviously. I just think that when you select certain things, like brake pads, tires, and beer, it's worth it to choose the best you can find.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:42 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS968
I mean you make your own decisions with your own money, obviously. I just think that when you select certain things, like brake pads, tires, and beer, it's worth it to choose the best you can find.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:38 PM
grey ghost
Intermediate

For me, I use the CarboTech Panther pad for street and autocross. Great pad for initial bite and strong friction material. They do dust a little, but no noise, the last set lasted over 70K with little rotor wear.

thank Rob.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:13 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
If i want to replace my brake rotors, for a stock configuration, what would you suggest? OEM from Sunset? What will they cost? OEM pads fine as well? Thanks
Sunset sell OE. Not sure if they sell OEM. OE discs last about 50% longer than OEM in my experience.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Below is an email advertisement that I received for CL Brake pads. Has anyone had experience using these?

The CL Brake experience
I just got back from VIR where I raced with my BMW E46 330i. I've been looking for more brake for this car and decided to try a set of CL RC6 sintered pads and all I can say is "Wow!!" You have to try this pad!! I am seriously impressed,... enough so that I am converting my 996 and my 944S2 to these pads. The stopping power was awesome with excellent modulation and zero fade. You need to try these as your next set of pads....

Here is what you can expect:
Incredible bite on the very first stop
Nearly impossible to fade
Last twice as long as most semi-metallic race pads
No vibration , judder or NVH
Little to no bed-in required
Semi-pourous: retains bite in rain, snow, mud, dirt etc....

Available for almost all Porsche and BMW's, there is also availability for Alfa Romeo, Audi, Ferrari, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Saab, Subaru, Toyota, VW and many others....
Old 05-07-2010, 12:23 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

I've never used them, for all I know they COULD be amazing...but advertisements for unheard of brands which make suspiciously exaggerated claims are...well...suspicious!

Okay, I admit it, I just don't like them because they can't spell "porous"
Old 05-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

I too usually disregard this type of advertisement but it came to me via PCA emailing. In any event there are so many drivers here with vast experience that without an endorsement for them/us, and with so many other recomendations, I would not use them first.

Quick Reply: Brake rotors.