Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Loud noisy moaning from transaxle

Old 04-28-2010, 07:31 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud noisy moaning from transaxle

I read through an older post on the pinion bearing and noticed that some had experienced a loud moaning from the transaxle. I am experiencing that same issue, I think. It doesn't really sound like the whining sound of a jet turbine, much more coarse. I don't think racing straight-cut gears was an option? If I run the car in higher gears at highway speeds it is very loud. More noticeable on decel but still makes its presence on accel as well. Depressing the clutch makes the noise diminish, so it must be a trans problem? I do have some "oily discharge" (wow, that sounds gross) from the where the CV's mount into the case. Slippery gear fluid changed last year (3,000 miles ago) with Swepco. Car has about 83,xxx miles now.

Thanks for any help/info,
Old 04-29-2010, 10:46 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I would have Miles Singer's mechanic check it out. Its much easier to troubleshoot these in person.
Raj
Old 04-29-2010, 01:32 PM
sergiomartins
Advanced

Swepco 201 is GL-4 80W-90 so not right for our gearboxes, it requires GL-5 75w-90 fully sinthetic which swepco is not.
swepco might be ok for the 944 which have audi derived gearbox, the 968 although uses the same design its actualy a Getrag gearbox.
PS: Swepco is not even that slippery.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:54 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Agreed, waiting to hear back from Miles about his tech.

Good to know about the swepco. Will put the GL-5 in next time.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pm sent Mac
Old 04-29-2010, 06:05 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Thanks,

Will give a call. JPK offered to stop by and have a look as well. You guys are all great. Here's to hoping it's normal or an easy fix.

Thanks,
Old 04-29-2010, 10:51 PM
StewHatch
Racer

Exactly to a tee what I experienced 2 years ago: same symptoms & exactly the same sound. I had the transaxle dropped a year ago and installed a spare unit I purchased. Brought my transaxle to a tech who took it apart with the intention of rebuilding everything and replacing what I thought was a defective pinion bearing. It appears that the pinion bearings are fine, but my diff bearings are shot. Bits of diff bearings are evident throughout my transaxle. I'm thinking that this could be something you'd want to consider as a possible cause.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny cause my 92 has been moaning for the last 3 years and 30,000 miles and still driving it I'll probably rip into it within the next few weeks. Hopefully diff bearing instead of pinion bearing. I am considering picking up a used 6-speed just in case it's something major.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:51 AM
macadamianut
Instructor

Hoping to get some quotes next week. Is the diff bearing issue less expensive/less complicated to repair?? Is it possible to order a rebuilt trans for a plug-and-play? It is evident that my seals at the CV/Case interface are not great as there is some fluid leaking. Is this indicative any anything else?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:24 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the carrier bearings and seals are anything like my 911, should be a piece of cake. I HOPE
Old 05-02-2010, 09:15 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

My 93 was very lound on decel and had developed a bad oil leak from the axle seal. Most of the bearings were shot and needed to be replaced. a grand later everything sound and runs great.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:19 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Mike,

So your total repair was $1000?? Did you do the labor yourself?? Which bearings? Trying to get as much info as poss. before I visit the magical, bank account draining, mechanic-land theme park.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:08 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

So.... JPK was kind enough to stop by last night with his 968 so I was able to have him drive the car, and then drive his. (Thanks John.) He confirmed a few things. First, the transaxle is definitely in need of repair. Unclear as to what exactly the issue(s) are. I will be making an appointment with John's shop for a look over and will be calling Miles's guy too. John helped me find out that I do in fact have the factory LSD so I figure that a plug and play rebuilt tranny is out as an option.

It was great to meet another 968/Rennlister with similar interests and a passion for the cars. His car was a hoot to drive with many suspension options I was hoping to be installing this summer. Sadly, I'll have to wait until next summer. It was nice to finally be able to hear just how a properly working transaxle sounds and how it feels.

Here's to hoping it's not a complete mess inside there.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:17 AM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like some progress at least, had I known I could have shown up too, just for the fun of it. When possible we, all 3 of us, should go for a drive.

Best of luck with the repairs and keep us posted!
ps I have "spare" tranny that could be donor for parts or replacement
Old 05-06-2010, 10:32 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Mac - It was great you meet you the other day; thanks for showing me your "ride and handling" loop. I promise not to tell anyone else...

You need to get that tranny fixed and get that car out to Waterford. I'll even loan you a set of brake pads and tires if you'd like (first time is free)

Miles, I'll be at Waterford on the 25th for the DE with Rally Sport. Swing by if you can. It would be great to see you again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud noisy moaning from transaxle