968 Forum 1992-1995

New Member Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Newfie911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Introduction

Hey Folks, I am new to the board and figure I would introduce myself. I have spent most of my time over on PP board, but was also suggested to me that I join here. I have been a 911 owner for the last couple of years but just recently got the bug for a water pumper. I was looking for a decent 944 to use for DE / Light track use, as I would have to travel too far to events to take my 911. I was hoping to have a less expensive car kept near the action so I could attend without the hassle of trailering a car couple thousand KM. Anyway , long story short, I discovered the 968 and started doing some research, now I want one. And I guess that surprises no one here......lol. So much for my budget-conscious plans maybe. Fellow Rennlister, Ernie9468, has been doing some hunting for me. I would prefer to have a Canadian Car due to the added expense of shipping, duty, and exchange.........but if a good deal came up close to the boarder I would certainly consider it.

Thanks for your time and look forward to being part of the community.

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Any leads on a good one yet Kevin?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:22 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Good luck on your search! I know of a lot of cars over on this side of the continent but I'm certain you will find something much closer.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:09 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Welcom aboard Kevin -----Still looking for the evasive one.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 PM
PorscheLVR
AutoX

Good luck in your search Kevin. I have some information for the last couple years on all the 968 coupes listed for sale in Canada if that's helpful to you at all. Ernie keeps a close eye on the 968 market, you're in good hands.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Newfie911
Advanced

Yeah I must say Ernie does have his finger on the pulse of what is for sale that's for sure. I'll work with him on it and any other input I can get from others members greatly appreciated. Biggest barrier right now is distance and the cost of shipping. I'd rather hold out a little and do the drive and fly routine, much more fun.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:17 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Hi Kevin,
Th true Canadian cars are hard to find because of their low production. I run the 968 registries. For Cabs, they only made 55 (out of 2,008) for Canada. I'm still working on the coupe registry. I'm just over half way done and I have 75 canadian 968s IDed (out of 2,234 coupes) so far. The Canadian cars have the kilo speedo. They also come standard with a package that includes front headlight washers and heated front seats. The cabs have the small rear seats were US cabs have the rear glove boxes. Many of the Canadian 968s have interesting options. Good luck with your search. PM me if you have questions on a specific car.
Jeff
Old 01-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Newfie911
Advanced

Thanks Jeff I will do that.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:07 PM
PorscheLVR
AutoX

I don't want to steal your thread Kevin, but this may be helpful to you as well. Jeff, do you have more information on the 75 Canadian 968 Coupes? How many were 6spd? Any M030 Canadian cars? Or is that not information you have?
Old 01-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheLVR
I don't want to steal your thread Kevin, but this may be helpful to you as well. Jeff, do you have more information on the 75 Canadian 968 Coupes? How many were 6spd? Any M030 Canadian cars? Or is that not information you have?
He's still working on the coupe registry, so he'd have partial info only right now. When he's done he'll have every option on every car as delivered by the factory. (ie the Cup 2's on my old coupe were dealer installed).
Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Newfie911
Advanced

Interesting question porschelvr.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:42 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Welcome

Hello Kevin and welcome to a the forum. Great group here. I too go both ways- Air and Water cooled for those of you itching to jump in and comment

I look often for 968s and can keep and eye out for you. For me it's for parts or the next project. I imagine a coupe with any extra goodies as long as it is reasonable for the price. Any mileage request...? opions you would like?

Another thought about imports- Remove th emotor and ship them seperate as parts and not a complete car..... Or not, I have herad guys doing this to get cars inot the us from Europe but have not ever know anyone who actually has done it.

Good Luck and welcome. Cheers, Mike
Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by notthd
Hello Kevin and welcome to a the forum. Great group here. I too go both ways- Air and Water cooled for those of you itching to jump in and comment

I look often for 968s and can keep and eye out for you. For me it's for parts or the next project. I imagine a coupe with any extra goodies as long as it is reasonable for the price. Any mileage request...? opions you would like?

Another thought about imports- Remove th emotor and ship them seperate as parts and not a complete car..... Or not, I have herad guys doing this to get cars inot the us from Europe but have not ever know anyone who actually has done it.

Don't really think it will be a good idea to remove the motor & ship it seperatly if it feasible you would be paying for shipping the car + the motor the money you'll save will be spend on putting the motor back in unless you can do it yourselve witch I doubt most people buying 968 can do .
Old 01-16-2010, 10:24 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts

I don't know Ernie, I bet there are alot of us that have pulled a motor and put it back.. Of course the level of my P-car addiction and mechnical level may be exception not the rule....my Garage is the room in my house where I spend most of my time..

Cheers,Mike
Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Newfie911
Advanced

Originally Posted by notthd

That's a creative thought..........but let me share my latest experience with customs. Last week I sent my ECU to New York to have the 24 pin replaced with a 28, effing customs charged me duty just to get it across the border. Then dinged again when it comes back!!!!!!!! So yes there will be duty even on shipped parts.......b#$tards.

Quick Reply: New Member Introduction