Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

installing the front of a 997 to my 968 - need advice on plastics

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:55 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i've used very high-quality resins from the start — including finishing resins with microfibers to preclude any possibility of future cracking. it's taken some time, but the two pieces are now 1. completely seamless. i'll post photos on monday or tuesday and you'll be able see the results.... anyway, the video below is pretty close to what i ended up with....

in the past few days i've been learning how to use the cheese grater. that's the missing link to making smooth curves.

i have a fair amount of finishing putty left to put down and smooth out. and the grill openings are still crude.

and other than being slow, all is well.

pics deleted for slightly better ones coming on page 6. >>>>

Robert,

can you believe they want 2 grand for 14 year old 993 Xenon/Lit headlamps at L.A. Porsche?

btw, that LS1 with your parts and the fast intake on the 44 forums is slamin'.

/

Last edited by odurandina; 07-14-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:12 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like they're smokin more than the fiscal budget in L.A.
You're front nose mod is incredible. You could get Eric to mock up a 1-piece fiberglass and sell the snot out of them, just don't get all L.A. on 'em LOL.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:19 PM
xschop
Drifting

Actually, can those 968 headlights be modded with HIDs? Member Porch did the mod to the 944 headlight that turned out XSellent.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:50 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that looks amazing! Hmm...
Old 07-06-2011, 06:03 PM
DiREW0LF
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good! Seems really low compared to stock, how far is the lowest point from the ground?

Needs some ROW turn signals.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:20 PM
xschop
Drifting

I just sent the pic over to a friend that has an older 911 and told him that a 928 had it's way with a 911
Old 07-06-2011, 06:56 PM
ender928
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks sweet.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Look good Allan.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:54 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I was skeptical...but I must say that looks pretty damn good. Nice work.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

so when will mine be completed Allan?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:31 PM
SDDave
Advanced

While it's inevitable to see all the "Hey, I'm next, LOL" posts, let's get serious for a second...

What would be involved in moving this towards a production item? Who would be able to do something like this on any kind of real scale?

RS Barn, D9, one of the body panel shops (GT Racing, etc)?

As with anything, the price would dictate how many people are truly serious about picking one up, but I have a feeling this would become the 'go to' item for changing/upgrading the appearance of the 968 (aside from the elusive fixed headlight conversion, which may not be far off!)...

The way the side openings fit in a natural line with the inward sweep of the fender/headlights, the center opening being visually in line with the hood and fog lights... it really looks like it came from the factory/was designed that way. Moving it one step further, you could enlarge the center nose opening ala the Turbo nose setup...

I see GREAT potential here... VERY well done, Odurandina!!

Dave
Old 07-07-2011, 11:36 PM
xschop
Drifting

RAM air for the LS3
Eric is getting my Cobalt SS rear wing to do a mock-up to go with my custom NA nose. His skills are superb and not "L.A." on the price tag.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:43 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by DiREW0LF

Looking good! Seems really low compared to stock, how far is the lowest point from the ground?
nahh it's just cuz of my lawn. the hight is about maybe 3/4 inch lower than your Turbo S lip.

Originally Posted by SDDave

While it'sThe way the side openings fit in a natural line with the inward sweep of the fender/headlights, the center opening being visually in line with the hood and fog lights... I see GREAT potential here... VERY well done, Odurandina!!

Dave

thank you very much. i really appreciate all the positive comments from you all.

about the headlamps. don't they look out of place even more now?

the car desperately needs the stock lights GONE.

btw, the photos i posted yesterday are crap.

but, i'm getting it all smoothed out now, and in order to keep the ultraviolet light off the exposed plastics, i've been laying down some semi-gloss white so the next day's uv wont get on the plastic. anyway, it's looking better.

Originally Posted by SDDave
While it's inevitable to see all the "Hey, I'm next, LOL" posts, let's get serious for a second...

What would be involved in moving this towards a production item? Who would be able to do something like this on any kind of real scale?

Dave

i was approached by someone [who has earned the trust of the community].

he's at the front of the line for making up a mold.

Last edited by odurandina; 07-14-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I was skeptical as well and I still am.
IMO the center lower opening is too big with regards the overall dynamic rendering of the original design as it looks like someone has tried to pull down the bumper wider open than it should.
Perhaps side skirts to "pull" the lower lines lower in line with the bumper would balance it, though.

Regardless I wish I had such craftsmanship skills, as far as as work quality is concerned it IS impressive!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

bringing it in the garage now... just to be clear, i set the pitch to be less extreme than a 997. i.e., the ride hight from front to back of the lower valance doesn't change as much as a stock Carrera S. i had tried a couple of variations here and none of them looked right until i got the pitch to about where it is now....

ok, the bottom of the side skirts reach their lowest point at exactly 5.0 inches.

the front of the lower lip is at exactly 6.0 inches from one side to other.

the rear of the lip comes down gradually to 5.25 inches.

that puts my car about 1/2 way between a 2008 997 Carrera S and GT3.

btw, i don't want to go too far here; there must be a bit of truth to what Thom says in the above post..... what comes with this project is a fair amount of ambivalence. but i still wanted in.... at the very least, the result further demonstrates that the front of the 968 is not an easy fix — or worse, it could be stated that the narrow front profile (vs the height) makes the car 'homely' regardless of what you try to do to it.

/
Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 07-08-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply: installing the front of a 997 to my 968 - need advice on plastics