Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Feels like owners of older Porsches are being slaughtered

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:47 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In case some people didn't read what I posted earlier, it would be helpful if someone could point out or help make a list of parts that can be had cheaper than at the dealership and are the same or better quality than the genuine Porsche parts. I'm sure that everyone would appreciate it.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
In case some people didn't read what I posted earlier, it would be helpful if someone could point out or help make a list of parts that can be had cheaper than at the dealership and are the same or better quality than the genuine Porsche parts. I'm sure that everyone would appreciate it.
Trev, start a new thread on this and people could contribute as they go along.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:22 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I would love to be able to replace parts on my car with JUST factory porsche parts from the dealership. I would even get them from Germany just for bragging rights. But there is a simple truth I have come to terms with:

Unless I use aftermarket parts, I can not afford a Porsche.

Go ahead and criticize me, all those fanatics, purists, and rich people. I am an excellent mechanic and a meticulously careful owner, and I treat the car the best way I know how. If an aftermarket part is low quality I won't use it, but for the most part the aftermarket part is good enough to last a long time. As many have said, no one can be sure if OE and OEM are the same, and who makes the parts you buy from the dealer, and what's honestly better.

As a rule of thumb, I will buy aftermarket unless it's a vital part (timing belt), a cosmetic part (shift boot), or the same price as the dealer.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:57 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's some parts I have used in the past which have worked excellently with no adverse effects, no premature failure, and great overall performance:
  • all engine seals, o-rings, gaskets, etc including round seals, head gasket, valve cover gasket, etc
  • exhaust gaskets, intake gaskets
  • intake hoses and vacuum tubes
  • AC/alternator belt and PS belt
  • motor mounts
  • clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing
  • clutch master and slave cylinders, and hose
  • axle boots
  • wheel bearings
  • standard brake rotors
  • brake pads
  • ball joints, tie rod ends
  • control arm bushings, caster blocks
  • Rennbay steering rack and pump reseal kits
  • generic PS hose
  • radiator
  • metal heater control valve
  • plastic heater control valve
  • Laso water pump and thermostat
  • timing and BS rollers and tensioners
  • BS sleeve
  • oil pump drive gear
  • Mahle oil filters
  • Porsche OEM bs bearings (bought through aftermarket)
  • Glyco rod bearings
  • Porsche OEM rod nuts (bought through aftermarket)
  • Goetze piston rings
  • Reinz oil pan gasket
  • TRW exhaust valves
  • exhaust valve guides (I happened to use Porsche intake guides 'cuz I had them)
  • valve stem seals
  • Iwis timing chain
  • Bosch rebuilt alternator
  • Bosch rebuilt starter
  • And more!

All gaskets/seals are Reinz. Most of the parts I get are Febi, Bosch, ***, Lemfoerder, etc. I always pick the best brand available and I try to stick with German made.

OP, the 6 parts you just bought for $200 from Porsche are available at www.autohausaz.com for $72.45. Always support a Rennlist SPONSOR though when you can! I get parts from Paragon and from work.

My car may not be 100% Porsche but it's 100% roadworthy and I'd rather have a solid car with non-original parts than an original car that's falling apart.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:20 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

If you don't like paying through the kazoo for little simple plastic parts or odd hoses that are really high priced (relatively speaking)...and there is no alternative part available, don't get a 928. I'm blown away by some of the prices for some of the high wear, Porsche only sourced parts.

Also, Porsche brand water pumps for the 928 are selling for from about $800 to $1000. Rebuilt Porsche WPs are a little less. Rebuilds by other companies (or Laso new) are a few hundred bucks but are getting a reputation for failure...often taking the top end of the engine with it! What's worse, none of the 928 WPs have a stellar reputation. (968s have shorter cam belts and have fewer problems this way I'm guessing). Out the nose or not, I'm sticking with Porsche parts for those that can wreck your engine if they fail.

Prices on some items are going to continue to rise pretty quickly. Lots of parts are NLA (no longer available) for the 928....and the 968 isn't far behind.

H2
Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to clarify, some of the vendors that are oem suppliers.
Victor Reinz for gaskets/seals (I have bought porsche parts that have the name on them)
Bosch (you can buy replacement parts for a lot less without the porsche sticker)
Zimmermann (oem rotor supplier)
Ruville for rollers (oem supplier)
SKF (wheel bearings)
Textar/Jurid/Pagid (Pads)
Ate (Various brake components)
Together, as Arash suggested, it can save you a lot of $$$.

Raj
Old 10-14-2009, 10:54 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Harvey, I hear you on the water pump. It's a scary proposition to put a questionable part under your timing belt... But I have 30k miles on one and 5k on another, still going strong thankfully.

A Porsche pump failed on me prematurely... so you really can't be sure with dealer parts any more. The pulley seized partially, and got a little bent. The pulley would wobble and would barely turn at all, and the belt was mostly slipping on it. I was on a road trip so I went the remaining 150 miles, then changed everything. The belt still looked fine. So, not that I recommend it, but one could probably run a WP until failure, then change it.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheG96

heater control valve $25
oil pump drive gear $50

So I'm not sure how feasible it is to continue owning Porsches, especially old ones, because parts prices alone are killer and I'm not even paying any labor these days...
Next time you need something just call us. The prices are not as high as you think, someone is just taking you for a ride.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:00 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, I think the stealership sells whatever they can grab also. Most of our P-Cars have 50% of parts manufactured by other companies. I remenber that in 2004 I needed a MAF for my Nissan Maxima dealer quoted me at ~400 dollars if I remenber correctly. I ended up buying it online for $113. Guess what when I got the part it was the same box with the Nissan Logo. I laughed because I saved arround $280 dollars. Now for my wife's Jetta 1.8T I bought it from the dealer since the price was the same as most online stores. Shop arround before you buy anything.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:18 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Giacomo
Good thread.
+1

About 1-1/2 years ago my car was at the shop...my mechanic called and asked "do you want the Porsche part or the VW part?"

When I asked what the difference was his answer was "one comes in a Porsche box, has a Porsche number on the box and has a VW part number stamped in the part.....the other comes in a VW box, has the same part number stamped in it and costs 30% less".

I went with the VW part. (don't remember what part it was....may have been wheel bearings).

The dealership is my last resort if I can't get a part elsewhere.....and like others I tend to stick with German brands like Bosch, etc.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:00 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I have VW relays that work great in either my 968 or the 928. Does anyone know of a parts interchange list between Porsche, VW, Audi, and (maybe) Mercedes?

H2
Old 10-30-2009, 01:38 AM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Trev....I feel your pain.

I just purchased a beautiful 90 944 S2 Cab for the wife and I am starting to repair all the little issues. My stance has always been, buy factory parts...until now.

I have always known that factory parts cost a bit more. But I felt it was worth it....until now.

The prior owner installed a high end eclipse stereo system and some clown cut the convertible top to steal it (one of the reasons I got a steal of a deal). I called the parts counter and the quote for a new top was $7,000! Yup 7 large! I hung up and a quick google search found losts of website for Porsche oe canvas in the $1,200 range....just a little difference.

So I figured, must be just a fluke for this one piece....until now.

Last Saturday I went in to purchase a power window switch. You know the little plastic switch in the door to roll down the window. The parts guy looked it up, said he would have to order it...and it was $95.00! I said excuse me?? He looked up from his screen and said "yeah, that does not sound right, ok I could sell you one for $54.00". I said "no thanks" and went to Parts Heaven and got one for $10.00.

Things have changed at the parts counters. I am not sure if Porsche is at the root of this, or if the dealerships are to blame.....but they have lost my business. Was the parts guy trying to take me for a sucker with the $95.00 quote, then when I did not bite, lower it to the real Porsche price of $50.00? I dont know....but I was not happy.

Like you, spending $95.00 for like value in a part is nothing to me. But also like you Trev, I do not like to be played.

They, the dealerships and ultimately Porsche, have definately lost my buisness....until they straighten up.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:27 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Especially when, often times, they are just selling you the exact same new item you can get elsewhere for significantly less money.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:19 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think just like BMW dealers, Porsche dealers are independent businesses and can markup the suggested list price to whatever they like.
I have seen this at our local Princeton Porsche dealer. They always charge 10-20% over list. That is why I have never ever bought anything from them.
Raj

Quick Reply: Feels like owners of older Porsches are being slaughtered