Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 SOUND SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 01:36 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

The CD portion of my factory CD-1 unit stopped working a few years back. I then added a hidden localized in-car RF modulator which picks up my i-pod. Works fantastic and I have access to all 2,000 songs on my I-tunes library wherever I go. It even charges the I-pod.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:39 PM
wpb968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my 1992 coupe, I replaced the front door speakers. I installed a two way satellite system from Boston Acoustics that has a 5 1/4" driver and separate tweeter. The factory Nokia Bass and tweeter driver came out and the midrange was left in as a passive radiator. The factory crossover was yanked and replaced by the new crossover. The tweeter is aimed and fits into the existing tweeter opening. The speaker fit required some Dremel work and contact cement, but allows the factory speaker box and covers to remain. The goal was a relatively simple install and a stock look. Similar speakers are available from most brands.

I left the garbage aftermarket head unit feeding the low level inputs to the factory amps in place since I could not find a head unit that I liked. Current ones are way too busy. The factory amps need to go. Thanks for the recommendations on the head units. Nice job on the carbon trim on the console.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:38 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a CR 220 for our 968 cabriolet but I can't seem to get it to slide into the center console! Has anyone else run into problems with CDR/CR 220s?
Old 12-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

When I went to put my Traffic Pro in the dash when I was doing my stereo and it was tough to get it in all the way. It seemed to stop 1" or so from going in....you just have to keep fiddling with it, it will go in, mine slipped in without interference.....just took some time.

For the life of me, I don't know what it was hitting or what I did to get it in all the way. Just make sure you have everything connected and tested first.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wpb968
In my 1992 coupe, I replaced the front door speakers. I installed a two way satellite system from Boston Acoustics that has a 5 1/4" driver and separate tweeter. The factory Nokia Bass and tweeter driver came out and the midrange was left in as a passive radiator. The factory crossover was yanked and replaced by the new crossover. The tweeter is aimed and fits into the existing tweeter opening. The speaker fit required some Dremel work and contact cement, but allows the factory speaker box and covers to remain. The goal was a relatively simple install and a stock look. Similar speakers are available from most brands.

I left the garbage aftermarket head unit feeding the low level inputs to the factory amps in place since I could not find a head unit that I liked. Current ones are way too busy. The factory amps need to go. Thanks for the recommendations on the head units. Nice job on the carbon trim on the console.
Pioneer 80prs, the display can be made amber and you can turn off the on screen being. Sounds excellent.

Quick Reply: 968 SOUND SYSTEM