Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Various new 968 products, Turbo RS type II wing, 993 headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:55 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS968
What is the diameter of the round opening for the spot light lenses?

wouldn't you just be installing the 993 factory light and installing the hid lamp here ?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:45 PM
944er-teile.de
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been to Switzerland today fetching my fenders and having a look at Beni's workshop... He's really crazy! it's a hell of work to realize all this...
Old 01-22-2011, 10:22 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i will combine a 997 front air dam with the 968 unit soon.

i would love to see Benji attempt a 911/968 hybrid front end as well. i bet the result would be horny
Old 01-23-2011, 12:20 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
wouldn't you just be installing the 993 factory light and installing the hid lamp here ?
No, the 993 factory light is a fog, rather than a bixenon, which means it focuses the light differently.

I also suspect that it's insanely expensive
Old 01-23-2011, 06:03 AM
944er-teile.de
Instructor

Originally Posted by odurandina
i will combine a 997 front air dam with the 968 unit soon.

i would love to see Benji attempt a 911/968 hybrid front end as well. i bet the result would be horny
I think there's a reason why there was a 993 turbo front end siiting next to the 968 in Beni's shop
Old 01-23-2011, 10:51 AM
majsc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was wondering if the light assy. can be purchased without the wings/fenders....
Old 01-23-2011, 05:21 PM
future
Banned

Agreed. Personally I wouldn't mind if it's factory mounting tabs/brackets, or aftermarket... as long as I have at least the template to start with. Making it from scratch would be difficult and problably result in poor fit/finish.
Arash – as promised please find below a quick diagram I’ve done to explain fitment to a 944:

Anyone else ever get a "Mutual of Omaha" flashback when Mark posts? You know, Marlin Perkins narrating while Jim wrestles the alligator? Beni is doing a fine job impersonating Jim. lol

Seriously, you guys are both doing a great service for the 968/Porsche community (and Mark, just teasing with my comment above, I am sure you are quite busy and involved with the work).

LOL – I can assure you that that’s not the case since we both work a good 16 hours a day (check out the 993 board to see what I’m up to which only covers 10% of my time)

Mark,
What kind of price are you thinking about with these new duct/light fixtures? Im gettin excited!
Chris
Hi Chris – the complete kit including all fixing and projector H3 light units will be 255 Euros (read on will answer more for you mate )

993 Turbo S brake ducts & foglights.
Yep that’s the ticket right there and a lovely example of a 993 Turbo RS you’ve posted

What is the diameter of the round opening for the spot light lenses?
2” diameter

Actually, even if you start with a 944/turbo, you still shouldn't need to weld or grind. Measure, cut and potentially bend sheet metal, and drill should cover the skills required for this job, if I understand it properly.
So very true The only issue is regards the 968 rocker covers but I’ll cover that shortly if you were to take on a 968 front fender conversion.

No, the OEM 993 Turbo S light units omit about the same light power as a fire fly nor can they be upgraded. Our kit will provide 2/3rds of the light performance of the stock 993 headlights on their own The light units I’ve already sourced and are in the post to Beni.

I've been to Switzerland today fetching my fenders and having a look at Beni's workshop... He's really crazy! it's a hell of work to realize all this...
Thanks and I’m really looking forwards to seeing some pics installed to your 968 as is Beni

No, the 993 factory light is a fog, rather than a bixenon, which means it focuses the light differently.

I also suspect that it's insanely expensive
The 993 lights featured in the ducts are simply side lights not fogs and can't be upgraded other than fitting other light units.

255 Euros for our complete kit when finished in the next 2 weeks

I think there's a reason why there was a 993 turbo front end sitting next to the 968 in Beni's shop
The 993 Turbo Bumper in our factory is/was awaiting shipping to me for our 993 project car pictured in my Avatar but is now for sale since I’ve sourced a factory Turbo S unit but that is a good idea which could see the light of day

Was wondering if the light assy. can be purchased without the wings/fenders....
majsc - Yes our lightweight 993 headlight units will be available for all 993 owners in the very near future once we have fulfilled all current orders.

Best regards,
Mark & Beni
Old 01-23-2011, 05:41 PM
944er-teile.de
Instructor

Originally Posted by future
Arash – as promised please find below a quick diagram I’ve done to explain fitment to a 944:
Why using a 944 if 968's aren't that rare? But perhaps this is only my opinion as I hate bodyworks...
Old 01-23-2011, 05:42 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Hi Chris – the complete kit including all fixing and projector H3 light units will be 255 Euros (read on will answer more for you mate )

[...]

2” diameter

[...]

No, the OEM 993 Turbo S light units omit about the same light power as a fire fly nor can they be upgraded. Our kit will provide 2/3rds of the light performance of the stock 993 headlights on their own The light units I’ve already sourced and are in the post to Beni.

[...]

The 993 lights featured in the ducts are simply side lights not fogs and can't be upgraded other than fitting other light units.

255 Euros for our complete kit when finished in the next 2 weeks
See, my plan is to use a complete bixenon lighting system (dedicated bixenon projectors with their own optics, ballasts, and wiring) mounted where the 968's projector fogs go.

I was going to hack up a second set of stock fog/highbeam units I had by removing the fog projectors, but the new lights would still be shining through the fluted glass, which I don't like.

If I could mount the projectors into these pieces you are making, I could simply add my own clear glass or Lexan aero covers and get better light output (and probably easier mounting). Plus, of course, this gives me a better option for routing my front brake air ducting. The only question is, how difficult would it be to enlarge the opening to 2.5"? Can we see some shots of the back of this piece?

And how much would it be to just buy these inserts without the light kits to go with them?

Thank you!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 PM
future
Banned

Why using a 944 if 968's aren't that rare? But perhaps this is only my opinion as I hate bodyworks...
Mate - rationally and logically speaking you are 100% correct but the reality is that some of us fellow RL 944 owners have so much $$$$$$$$ already invested in their 944’s which makes purchasing a 968 and swapping everything over simply out of the financial question plus some simply like the challenge of complete uniqueness

See, my plan is to use a complete bixenon lighting system (dedicated bixenon projectors with their own optics, ballasts, and wiring) mounted where the 968's projector fogs go.

I was going to hack up a second set of stock fog/highbeam units I had by removing the fog projectors, but the new lights would still be shining through the fluted glass, which I don't like.

If I could mount the projectors into these pieces you are making, I could simply add my own clear glass or Lexan aero covers and get better light output (and probably easier mounting). Plus, of course, this gives me a better option for routing my front brake air ducting. The only question is, how difficult would it be to enlarge the opening to 2.5"? Can we see some shots of the back of this piece?

And how much would it be to just buy these inserts without the light kits to go with them?

Thank you!
Yes I see your logic and that’s exactly what we have developed to answer you QU’s

Firstly below is a pics (sort of) of the back of the units during development (I’ll post you some better ones tomorrow) - please remember that this pic is far from the finished item again which I'll post tomorrow once I've received from our factory over in Switzerland:

The light units we are using are 55 watt H3 projectors with an incredible light output for their 2” lens size made by a partner company called SUNWAY:

If you just want the FRP light unit moulds then we can do you a set for 140 Euros plus 30 Euros shipping to the US.

P.S. You can fit a HID kit directly to the light units I've chosen we develop this kit with

Our 968 Brake Ducts lights stock:

Our 968 Brake Ducts lights with HID:

^The above is with the spots only i.e. no headlights switched on

Cheers,
Mark
Old 01-24-2011, 08:20 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Mark - Thanks, I'm definitely eager to see more shots of the back, I want to see what I'd be working with in terms of mounting my bixenon projectors, and whether it's even feasible to enlarge the holes to 2.5".

Light output looks pretty good in your photos, but I'm looking to use these as my primary headlights, independently from the fender lights, with full low-beam and high-beam functionality.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
EEZATOY
Advanced

Great stuff - like the 993 light conversion do you have any straight on shots of them?

Also did I read you were working rockers? Maybe a nice one piece unit? I have been thinking about Strosek's but if you guys had plans for something.....

thx Sam
Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 AM
future
Banned

Mark - Thanks, I'm definitely eager to see more shots of the back, I want to see what I'd be working with in terms of mounting my bixenon projectors, and whether it's even feasible to enlarge the holes to 2.5".
Please PM me a link to the light units you have and I'll be able to let you know if they will work without too much modifications

Great stuff - like the 993 light conversion do you have any straight on shots of them?

Also did I read you were working rockers? Maybe a nice one piece unit? I have been thinking about Strosek's but if you guys had plans for something.....
Hi Sam, I do have pictures directly from the front but only unpainted which look a mess. we will take some new pics very soon and I'll be sure to post them up for you. Yes we will develop new rockers but this will not be until later on in the year
Old 01-26-2011, 07:49 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Please PM me a link to the light units you have and I'll be able to let you know if they will work without too much modifications
PM sent.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 AM
porsche_968
Advanced

Any thoughts on making Tech Art front splitter that is no longer available?

Quick Reply: Various new 968 products, Turbo RS type II wing, 993 headlight conversion