968 Forum 1992-1995

Fuel Smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Blue4Ice
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Smell

I have recently picked a 1992 968. The car is fantastic and I am really chuffed. However when i picked up the car it only had around an 1/8th of a tank of petrol. Following filling the tank to the top I started to notice a petrol smell in the cabin and also outside the car. As I have driven the car, used fuel and therefore emptied the tank the fuel smell has got less, and less often. It now has less than half a tank and hardly smells at all.

I dont think I have a leak as the amount of fuel in tank to mileage completed seems about right so guess I have a breather off or split somewhere. Where do you recommend I look first?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 10:17 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

This is a known issue with 968s. Hopefully someone will add what the fix is as I don't recall.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:47 AM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

Seems like I just saw something on this. There is a corrigated rubber filler hose that goes from the filler to the tank that gets old and cracks. There is a metal cover that can be removed to expose this section as I recall. Look on PET for an idea. Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:59 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, in some instances, the plastic neck that connects to the filler hose on the tank can crack.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:29 PM
z851@yahoo.com
Instructor

I ended up dropping the tank out of my car bbecause of the same thing. What I found was that someone mounted an amp in the trunk area and drilled holes through the tank. Get someone to help you put a small amount of air pressure in the tank. You can just put the air hose in the filler neck with a wet rag around it. Then have a helper open the valve to pressurize. You should be able to get an idea of where the leak is at.

Good luck!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Blue4Ice
Track Day

Thanks for the info guys. I will check it out this weekend. The smell tends to be worse around the boot area so I am hoping its the hose that connects the filler to the tank. I didnt realise the metal cover was just a cover when I pulled back the carpet last weekend
Old 08-14-2009, 09:13 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

I don't recall if it was the 944 or the 968, but I had the same issue. It turned out that the overflow tube had come off. This leads from the little drain hole in the fuel filler compartment down through the right side rear cubby and out. You should be able to see it if you pull back the carpet on the right side and look between the filler neck and the fender.
It's a royal pain to get it back on; you have to do it from inside the car, and clearance is VERY tight. I think I had best luck with a goofy pair of extended needle nose pliers. Once I got it back on, no more smell.

Quick Reply: Fuel Smell