968 Forum 1992-1995

Turbo S (RS) Intercooler size and shape

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Shawn 968CS
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo S (RS) Intercooler size and shape

Does anyone have any pictures of a Turbo S or RS Intercooler? (out of the car, seen pictures of it installed in the car)
I have a supercharger fitted on mine with a intercooler that is bolted onto the Radiator which is being replaced soon for a more efficient model.
Looks like the the turbo S is not high but deep in construction and is mounted on top of the front panel.
Presume the air feed is comming from where the airintake comes in from on the normally aspirated cars, also guess there is a slot opened up on the other side (which is normally filled in).
Rgds
Shawn
Old 08-12-2009, 07:03 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Its the same as a 951. It takes its air from the larger opening in the nose on the turbo S/ RS and uses the large vent on the bonnet on the RS to create a low pressure area to improve air flow out of the IC. There should also be a duct running from the nose opening to the face of the IC as with the 951. If you go with this setup all you really need is a 951 IC and the bonnet latch moved to one on each side same as the factory 968 turbo cars. This leaves the rad to take its airflow from the lower opening in the bumper as per the standard car. This IC will only work well if it has the proper ducting from the front of the car or the air will just go round as this was the first option I tried on my car but I had it mounted low. It did not work just stood free in the air flow and also did a good job of blocking airflow to the rad! It only works in the factory position, and in that position it works quite well!

Quick Reply: Turbo S (RS) Intercooler size and shape