something not quite right...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:49 PM
brianh
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question something not quite right...

968 - something not quite right...

It started about a month ago, an intermittent "chirp" from what seemed like the front of the engine, down around where the belts are. More of an annoyance than anything, no noticable change in performance. I let it go because I was planning to take the car back into the shop for a timing belt retensioning. Had it changed along with water pump, rollers etc 3K miles ago. By the time I took the car back in the chirp had morphed into an odd "air escaping" kind of a sound, yet still intermittent, but by this time I'm sensing the car is somewhat sluggish at low speed, and I'm feeling a vibration through the clutch. Anyway the shop can't find anything wrong, timing belt and balance belt, rollers etc are all fine, they say no vacuum hose leaks - but it's definately not right.... anyone have any adeas??

149K miles, timing belt/ water pump replacement 146K miles, last major service (oil, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter...) along with belt retensioning 149K miles, pinion bearing fix 140K miles.... that's the recent stuff.

thanks for any thoughts you may have...
Old 04-21-2009, 12:08 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Loose alternator belt? Does your voltage dip when you experience the loss of power?

I once had an alternator belt that looked brand new and was nice and tight... but it had a slice across all the ribs in one spot, and it caused a stupid annoying squeal at every launch.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:09 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

3k interval between retension is on the high side. The retension s for the bs belt, not timing belt btw. Is the car sluggish and vibrates above 3k rpm? If so, i would suggest you get the bs belt checked again and make sure the sprockets are aligned.
Raj
Old 04-22-2009, 06:33 PM
brianh
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the inputs.
Don't think it's the alternator, voltage seems quite healthy in 12+V range and doesn't seem to dip at any time. Alternator was replaced about a year ago. Thing I forgot to mention is that the chirp sound that it was making earlier on didn't change with engine speed, i.e. pop the hood & rev it a bit with no difference in tone or frequency. I wouldn't say the car is sluggish at high speed or above 3K rpm. It's more like sluggish in the 1-2K rpm range and sounds a bit rough / throaty.

brianh...

Quick Reply: something not quite right...