Roll Cage

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:13 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still not sure I get it. My cage is a std SD cage, not a custom one and used a lot in this country. The main hoop is the rear X frame i.e. like 15.6.7 The other is just extra side impact. So the main hoop is as required. I agree the lower side bar doesn't have the cross section, but its designed to do a different job and is not the main hoop. Still overkill for a trackday car.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:40 PM
frogisland
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking very good Tony (as ever)....but what are you upto now?????

....and are you racing it this year - no Open next year.

JP

Old 04-02-2009, 05:59 PM
911kev
Intermediate

Hi JP,

What cage is yours?
How's the repairs going?

Kev
Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TC17
That IS a cage! Rather nicely painted too.

R.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Interesting, the car below is set up similar to James with the X on the diagonal to the rear. This also would not be legal for most club racing in the US. Looks like you guys do your cages differently.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by richard glickel
That IS a cage! Rather nicely painted too.

R.
Yes, that one is quite nice
Old 04-03-2009, 09:06 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

I should add that mine is FIA approved, for what it is worth.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the Safety Devices roll bar in my previous 944T before I modified it for racing. The main hoop sits on the large "frame" member at the front of the rear seats. The rear braces are mounted to the wheel wells with a 2"x4" pad. And there was no mount for shoulder belts. Although this was better than nothing for drivers ed (with a harness mount bar), when I started racing, we added a proper main hoop diagonal and transverse for mounting belts, and added rear braces to the frame element at the area where the wheel well widens that part of the "frame." I also put "X" bracing on the new main hoop supports. We took off the original hoop supports. I added other front elements to complete the cage.

The Safety Devices quality is great, especially compared to what was available as a bolt-in from Autopower for our cars. But the design hasn't been updated, and the length of discussions (not arguments, just folks seeking the best choices) on the racing forum shows how much better cages have become.

YMMV.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
TC17
5th Gear

Originally Posted by frogisland
Looking very good Tony (as ever)....but what are you upto now?????

....and are you racing it this year - no Open next year.

JP

Hi Jason

I am doing the "Time Attack" this year with round one on your doorstep (Oulton Park) on the 25th April if you fancy coming along for a watch.

The championship is very Japanese but, they have introduced a normally aspirated sub 3.0L class this year which will really suit the car.

Cost is no different from a track day therefore it should make for a fairly "Low Cost" season (Famous last words).

Hope you and Big Dave are keeping well, drop me a PM with your numbers, be good to catch up.

Cheers

Tony
Old 04-03-2009, 05:39 PM
911kev
Intermediate

Default Rollcage

Originally Posted by TC17
Hi Kev

I know the guys at EMC. Their work is good quality (if a bit functional) however the Custom Cage in terms of welding and fitment is better, this comes at a price though, my cage was £1,700 whereas I think an SD cage fitted is about £1,200 from EMC.

As you are in Essex, you are welcome to pop round and have a look (although the car is in bits again at the moment).

Cheers

Tony
Hi Tony,

Could you let me know if you are free one evening/weekend and if it's ok with you would you mind if I had a look at your cage

Cheers

Kev
Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian Allen
The Safety Devices quality is great, especially compared to what was available as a bolt-in from Autopower for our cars. But the design hasn't been updated, and the length of discussions (not arguments, just folks seeking the best choices) on the racing forum shows how much better cages have become.YMMV.
Hey Julian,

I agree. I've had two SD cages in my track cars and they are very strong (don't ask me how I know). I've got a safety devices welded-in cage in the current car with a couple of modifications (boxed in the door X's and added another top to bottom cross bar under the main hoop for NASA). I'll have to take some pix to post here.

R.

Quick Reply: Roll Cage