968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Supercharger Kit Development

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 AM
edz968s
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the pic of your engine.
I would say the by-pass valve is fitted wrong way round, the tube on the bottom, should be on the other pipe as the inlet and the side tube the outlet going back towards the head unit. In that configuration as is, it will be bleeding boost off.
It`s not a dump valve a such, but a recurculating valve and won`t dump air pressure to atmosphere.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by pudjnr69
Car is at the dyno. Running the larger crank pulley, intercooler, upgraded supercharger, no MAF, aftermarket ECU, dropped compression to 10:1 - and made 230kW (up only 20kW) at the rear wheels. Only making 5.5psi boost versus 4.5psi on the original kit and 11:1 compression ratio.

Boost is dropped off over 6,000rpm.

Something is up - any suggestions? Is there a by-pass on the dump valve at which at 5.5psi it vents?

The supercharger should be running at something like 30 to 40% higher speeds and therefore making more boost.
Interesting, I had similar results earlier in the thread with my double sided belt setup. I could run smaller pulleys and get more boost lower down but hit a limit around 5 psi with whatever pulley I ran on the SC. I got sidetracked and have not worked on it for a few months. My assumption was that the drive required at around 5 psi hit a point where I was getting slip at the crank or the SC still. That did not make a lot of sense as it seemed like I'd reduced the grip I'd had with some of the other options when I thought I'd have increased it.

My double sided setup was annoying to work with as it reduced the effective travel of the belt adjuster and made belt installation and adjustment a chore. It's possible my setup also causes the belt to whip and slip due to the turnaround right before the crank pulley and that was reducing grip. If it worked I thought it was a good setup as it increased crank wrap as well as allowed a double sided belt to be used. The missing piece was an easier belt length adjustment (which I have solved on paper) and of course I just never got the boost that I got with the old Stage 2 standard drive.

What does this mean? My feeling was that I'd increased the contact patch at the crank and had a double sided belt so my setup is similar to the larger crank pulley in that regard, and I also had a double sided belt, and I also am stuck at 5-ish PSI. so I am interested in how this goes.

I have been able to get a Euro Phaeton V6 belt which will be easier to work with and perhaps better, the reports are that it works very well indeed so that is encouraging.

-Joel.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 PM
pudjnr69
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The feedback from Tim at Raptor is that with the pulley set-up I am running, I should have 11psi prior to the intercooler. So we will measure it and see what we are getting.
It is hard to see how 11psi at the intercooler equates to a drop of 6psi across it and with the double sided 6-rib belt, there should not be any slip.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Check the boost pressure before and after your intercooler. Have a fella watch it while you are on the dyno, and see if the restriction doesnt become compounded at high flow volumes.

The change you made in CR for 11:1 to 8.5"1 is not insiginificant, and you cannot compare the boost pressure before-and-after that modification. That compleel;y changed your volumetric efficiency.

Concentrate on HP produced, and not what the boost gauge says.

Your engine is now less restrictive. It shows me that the the SC is producing higher volumes, but the engine is inhaling nicely. I bet your output has gone up sweetly.

I disagree with Tim that it should produce 11 psi - I think that would be right for a stock 968 with stock internals, but not with your cylinder volume.

From our website:

What the Boost Gauge is really telling you

A lot of people believe the boost gauge measures supercharger output. It doesn't.

The boost gauge measures pressure. Pressure is caused by a restriction to flow. The engine is that restriction to flow.

While the supercharger is spinning and making up air, the engine is also running and inhaling, and the boost gauge only shows the remainder. In other words: The boost gauge only shows WHAT'S LEFT after the engine consumes what it can.

Supercharger output MINUS engine consumption = what's left to display on the gauge.

Sometimes we get a call from an enthusiast who has just added headers, or cams, or a larger intake and now sees his boost gauge is lower than it used to be. They call thinking they did something wrong. Quite the opposite – they have removed restrictions to air flow in their motor, and although the supercharger is producing as much air as it did before, the engine can now use more of it. The HP of this engine has gone up, and the boost gauge will have gone down.

Now that you understand that, we can tell you that a low boost gauge number is either:

1) an engine that has little restriction and is breathing well (this is a GOOD thing) or

2) a supercharger that is sized too small for the size of the engine it is bolted to.

3) a supercharger spinning too slowly to match its output to engine needs.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

One last consideration: it is possible to spin the supercharger too fast - where you are now operating it outside of the sweet spot on the compressor map.

When this happens, the adiabatic efficiency drops off. You are producine more air, but it hotter air now, and hot air is less dense.

In this case, it is better to slow the SC down to operate it in the core of its compressor map. There is less parasitic drag, less heat, less stress on the parts, and only a little less HP.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Our 968 is here and we've begun work on it. First order of business was placing the DFU (Direct Fire Unit) and ordering the custom ignition wires to length.
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Some pics from the end of this week. The engine management is in and wired. The parts for the extended belt are made, but not installed in these photos. It all comes together next week.
Attached Images    
Old 03-16-2012, 08:37 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks good. You might finally have a well sorted, high performing kit. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:05 PM
pudjnr69
Track Day

Carl,

Is there a specific engine management kit that is required for the ignition system, or can any use it? Also, if this free's up room in the engine bay, will the belt arrangement change?

Have you looked at putting the bigger Raptor unit in there as it seems that the smaller Raptor unit canot make big boost numbers?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:33 AM
pudjnr69
Track Day

I asked TIm from Raptor if the bigger unit would make any difference, his reply was that it would not. The issue to be dealt with is the power that the belt can provide and therefore belt wrap and tension. So some work to be done to get some more wrap and to install an auto-tensioner. Hopefully the 10psi or so of boost will come.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

I'll be adding more belt-wrap, and as you know, a 6-rib double-sided pulley.

You can use any EMS you like - I prefer the Electromotive system, but a Haltronic, Motronic, or other comparable would work very well also.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:29 AM
pudjnr69
Track Day

Carl - what length belt (I am assuming it is the 1710mm version)? Can you add the tensioner as an after-market fitment (I already have the belts). If I don't have to re-engineer this I will be happy.

Any lead-in on the solution and timing?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Cant tell you what the final length of the belt we will be using is just yet. I will as soon as I know. I am trying to build around the belts I can actually easilly get first, to make it easier for me and my customers to get replacement belts anywhere.

I will go to a custom-made belt only if I have to.

We will be able to control both the ignition advance, the boost retard, and the injection events.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

A couple progress pics from this morning.

The belt drive is completed and the belt is tight. The electromotive installation is very near complete, we should be keying the car over soon.

Not finished, need to check belt tracking and belt slip yet, but getting close.
Attached Images    
Old 03-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

With the induction tubing in place. Note the absence of the Blow-Off Valve re-circulation and the MAF sensor, no longer needed.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: 968 Supercharger Kit Development