Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Supercharger Kit Development

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:21 PM
edz968s
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O.K. Advice taken and OEM chip re-fitted. That though is the least of my problems.
The head unit failed today, bearing has collapsed, causing the impeller tp wear it self out around the casing. All the debris from that was injested into the engine
I`ve sent you an e-mail, Carl with pictures of the unit.
Damn, now what!
Old 07-09-2011, 03:23 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow im sorry to hear that. good luck, you'll get it all sorted!
Old 07-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry to hear that... Have you had the head off already to check the bores for scores?
Hopefully it all came out quickly enough no to do any damage.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by edz968s
O.K. Advice taken and OEM chip re-fitted. That though is the least of my problems.
The head unit failed today, bearing has collapsed, causing the impeller tp wear it self out around the casing. All the debris from that was injested into the engine
I`ve sent you an e-mail, Carl with pictures of the unit.
Damn, now what!
Sounds like the same thing that happened to mine the first time
Old 07-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

EdZ's Raptor is off to the factory to be inspected and rebuilt.

This is the second seriously over-heated Raptor in a 968 we have seen. It seems (so far) just to be limited to the racers thus far.

If you have a Raptor 968 kit from us and it has over-heated the impeller bearings, I want to know about it. We are trying to understand the conditions and mode of failure so we can put up a correction if need be.

But like I said: I have only seen 2 of these overheated units so far, and both Tim and Edz like the racey stuff.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
EdZ's Raptor is off to the factory to be inspected and rebuilt.

This is the second seriously over-heated Raptor in a 968 we have seen. It seems (so far) just to be limited to the racers thus far.

If you have a Raptor 968 kit from us and it has over-heated the impeller bearings, I want to know about it. We are trying to understand the conditions and mode of failure so we can put up a correction if need be.

But like I said: I have only seen 2 of these overheated units so far, and both Tim and Edz like the racey stuff.
It's great to see how you stand behind your kits, Carl.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 105 Posts

Can I measure the temp of something after some driving? I do not want this part to fail on my car.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 AM
edz968s
Instructor

Get some temperature strips, as used to test brake temps and festoon them around the head unit. Place one near the Raptor name plate. First signs of overheating will be discolouration of the red painted name plate.
My theories are not enough air-flow externally around the unit and possibly heat soak from the unit mounts into the head unit, but that`s my opinion. I had the cooling fan fitted and constantly operating.
I do believe there is a user in France with similar symptons of overheated bearings. Also as I believe it, Raptor Australia are looking into some sort of water cooling jacket around the bearing, utilising it`s own radiator and pump.
At least I`ll get an n/a reading from the forthcoming rolling road day.
I`ll be sending the unit off this week
Old 07-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Joel - yours and others stand out as examples as Raptors that have not failed in use. Yours is kit #1 and has been in the field the longest. What with your drive home from Wisconsin to Colorado, it also has some of the highest miles on it.

I am trying to see if I can group the 3 that have exhibited over-heating into any common thing. Right now, I can say the Raptors are all racers. Two on the track and one not, but EdZ likes to shift at 7100 rpm. That puts him in that group.

I also want to be sure that everyone is using the Raptor cooler we supplied, and that it is installed in FRONT of the radiator to provide cool air to the Raptor. I have an idea (but have not confirmed) that it may have been left off or mounted behind the radiator where it would provide warm air to the supercharger. Another possiblility is a bad "run" of bearings from the manufacturer - because these 3 that have overheated all seem manufactured near the same time. I have Raptors before them (like yours) and after them that are giving no trouble.

Tim at Raptor is helping me investigate. He suggests the underhood temp of the 968 may be excessively high - and it may be on some cars depending on what they have modified. But it does not seem to be all 968's - so far, just 3 of them.

These are the 4 possibilities we are looking at.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 105 Posts

Well I drove home from WI to CO in the snow and and I kept the revs down due to conditions so those were easy miles and cold temps. Since then I have not racked up a lot of miles. When I do, I like to get into the boost but sustained high RPM has never been something I have managed.

I'll see if I can get some temperature measurements.

-Joel.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:17 PM
edz968s
Instructor

Carl I never ran with the 7100 chip as was advised against on previous posts, just a thought at the time with the larger pulley, to get the impeller speed up.
Also I`m hardly a racer, just hoped the kit would do a a few track days 3 or 4 times a year and be a bit more fun with the kit.
I even cut vents into the bonnet to relieve heat, but alas its gone again.
I just hoping Raptor will honour a re-build, other wise I`m afraid thats it for me if they don`t
Old 07-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Maybe you didn't get my email... Raptor has already told me they plan on honoring the warranty - that is why they told me to have you send it to them.

They have never NOT honored a warranty yet. I don't think you have cause for concern.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Tim at Raptor asked me to post this:

"Mention to MONITOR the colour of the Raptor Label, if they seen the colour of the print on the label going from RED to BLACK they should report it to you immediately"

That's an indicator that the head unit is seeing extreme heat.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:43 PM
edz968s
Instructor

Hats off to them for doing that
I sent them a pic of my unit with the discolouration as an early warning sign.
Thanks also to yourself, Carl.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
I am trying to see if I can group the 3 that have exhibited over-heating into any common thing. Right now, I can say the Raptors are all racers.
High belt tension leading to premature bearing failure?

The "racers" were also the group experiencing the most serious belt slip problems, of course. Presumably, simply up-tensioning the belt would be the first thing to try to mitigate the problem.

Or are the ceramic bearings in the Raptor head unit not susceptible to this problem?

Just curious on your thoughts. (I'm always a bit paranoid about tension and bearings...)

Quick Reply: 968 Supercharger Kit Development