968 Forum 1992-1995

naked headlight pic- no fender- may help with visuals

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts
Default naked headlight pic- no fender- may help with visuals

Read the headlight posts and thought maybe a pic of the assembly without the fender on the car may help. In these pics the light was in the down motor position. I pulled the triangle release and pulled the light up and released the pin so it locked the light in the up position. I thought this was cool and purposefully done to allow a driver to put the lights up manually if the motor failed... either way in the pics you can see the motor, with the cap still on, the release triangle thingy, etc... Cheers, Mike

Last edited by notthd; 10-11-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:45 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Mike. Could you also post some pictures of the lock mechanism for the headlight. It would help people see how this lock would release the headlight mechanism in case there is any kind of bind stopping the headlight from retracting.
In a perfect world, a video of how the headlight goes p and down would be ideal but I don't expect the car to still have working lights.
Thanks for sharing.
Raj
Old 02-16-2009, 02:03 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

I wish I could Raj but as expected and as you may be able to see in the pics is completly apart. I can add some visual cues in a pic- I'll post one.- Mike
Old 02-16-2009, 02:40 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

OK- so I couldn't find any other pics so I will expand on the ones I have. With the light up ans locked using the triangle pin - the light is hindged by a 2 arm pivot bracket the RED line. You can see the hardstop pin on top of the triangle lock pin holding it up. It moves in and out by pulling. The BLUE line is the lift/lower arm attached to the motor via a rod with swivel ends. Look close you can see it. the two are attached with a spring. Remove the srping and the light goes up and down freely without motor movement. The blue arm is hard attached to the motor.

Next pic the blue arrow points to the push rod attachment. Under the dust cap of the red arrow is an adjustment **** to set the full up and full down positions.

In the full down position you can almost see the limitations of travel. On my car when the light goes up the triangle pin hits the hardstop arm on the hindge arm of the light, which I believe helps with vibrations and rattles.

No gravity, a spring, with the motor arm hard mounted to the push rod of the motor. WOnder if years make a difference- this is a 92
Here is more info on the lights and adjustments

Hope this helps- Cheers, Mike

Last edited by notthd; 10-11-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:45 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

That was awesome. Greatly appreciated Mike.
Raj
Old 02-16-2009, 05:07 PM
AllenM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like that document you posted. I need to pull out the drivers side light and fix a rattle. The rod that pushes up on the back of the light is loose or something. When the light is up, it will vibrate w/ the vibrations of the motor or bumps on the road. Basically it gets wiggly and annoys the people in front of me. I don't really notice, but my wife gets mad when i follow her because it 'flashes' at her w/ the vibrations.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:18 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

It could be that the headlight is not snapped into the safety mechanism. Also, the rod has an adjuster and that could be loose.
Raj

Last edited by RajDatta; 02-16-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:28 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great post mike

We need more like this
Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Thank you
Old 02-17-2009, 09:56 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllenM
I like that document you posted. I need to pull out the drivers side light and fix a rattle. The rod that pushes up on the back of the light is loose or something. When the light is up, it will vibrate w/ the vibrations of the motor or bumps on the road. Basically it gets wiggly and annoys the people in front of me. I don't really notice, but my wife gets mad when i follow her because it 'flashes' at her w/ the vibrations.
Allen, three things can stop this depending on which makes teh most sense. you could try removing the dust cap and adjusting the full up position so that it makes contact with the triangle hard stop rod.

OR adjust the motor push rod - probally the hardest to do-

OR try adjusting the position of the triangle rod itself like in the bottom of the instructions so it preloads teh light and keeps it from rattling.. either way all three instructions are in here- good luck

Mike
Old 05-25-2023, 09:54 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Bump for headlight questions - Cheers, Mike
Old 05-26-2023, 12:09 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Yes, great info and visuals!
I have something obstucting the release of the light when it is up. When I go over any sort of small bump it falls back into place.
Next time I have my fender off I will see what the obstruction is.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice

Quick Reply: naked headlight pic- no fender- may help with visuals