Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Anyone have a spare airbox bottom?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:28 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say it's a slightly different case for you and Arash, though. I'm no expert, but I would imagine surface area is lower on the priority list with forced induction. Although the claim is that drilling the 4 holes in the front of the airbox gives you zero restriction from the airbox, I can't imagine, at least with forced induction, that a filter in an airbox is going to move air as fast as an open cone.

Both N/A and turbo guys are worried about moving the most air into the engine with the least resistance, but you need to consider that the turbo motor is going to help the air get through that filter more than the N/A motor.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

the Airbox mod was dyno proven to add 10.8WHP. If you do it right, tit wont look like a hack job, but rather a factory job. Cone Intake systems are pretty much a waste of money, as they wont make anymore power then the Airbox mod, in fact..most of the time...they will make less power on a 968. Read the 9 Magazine article.

Either way, I have a Naturally Aspirated street 968 putting down 246RWHP & 238LBS/Ft @ the wheels. I have the Airbox mod done to my car.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

No way IMO the airbox mod could net 10HP on a dyno, but I would suggest that the advantages of the snorkel might not be evident in a dyno room as they might on the road. Seems to me the snorkel pokes out into cool, high pressure air where the 'speed holes' might be in a lower pressure spot.

In any event I doubt the factory would go to the trouble of putting in a snorkel up to the front of the car when they could have had 4% more HP without bothering.

-Joel.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Its Dyno proven. The Airbox mod with a K&N filter will net 10+ WHP on a Dyno. There is more surface area then a cone filter, and cool air is going into the box directly from the airdamn in the front bumper. If you have the 92-94 Front cover in your engine bay..that will def. help keep the air cool as well.

No Snorkle intake has put down more power. They are also much more of a hassle to clean/replace as you need to remove the front bumper to access the filter for a true Cai.

But hey, dont take my word for it. Read the article your self, or better yet....go and do the test your self as many others have. run a before and after dyno.

I've been playing with modifications on my car for a while.....and @ 246RWHP/238lbs-ft have one of the most powerfull naturally aspirated streetable 968's.

http://www.968forums.com/index.php?a...e=post&id=7131

Last edited by Fox944; 02-24-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:02 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of these guys have been around awhile, they still dont believe the results. If they have not done it yet, their not going to. It's their loss.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Joel, Dave Greiman of 968 Engineering, and former moderator of the other site, lifted the idea from the 964 guys, who do a similar mod-it does work. He used to sell all the trim rings, published the instructions, and produced other mods for 968's.

Since he's no longer selling parts I think it would be ok for you to see the products for reference.

http://www.968engineering.com/
Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well I think you've missed my point. I don't drive my car on a dyno, I drive it on the road. High pressure airflow over and under the car is not going to be anywhere near the same in the dyno room as it is on the open road.

If I can find a good way to test this mod in the real world I will do so. It'd be interesting to test it again on a dyno as 10HP is IMO pretty unrealistic too, but a real world test would be a lot more relevant with the river of air rolling over, under and around the car.

Full throttle, under load, with the car stationary was not what the stock intake was optimized for but that might be what the modded airbox is.

-Joel.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I found a 1.5 rwhp gain by using the holes. Dave and I had a long discussion on how he went about testing it and why he came up with the size of holes. It does work, 10+ rwhp, not in this lifetime.
Raj
Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Your missing the point, either way you cut the cake...the Airbox mod works. Every single person who has done it is an advocate of it. wether you are on a dyno, or seat of the pants. It works. You can be skeptical...its your loss.

Cheers,

-Dino
Old 02-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fox944
Your missing the point, either way you cut the cake...the Airbox mod works. Every single person who has done it is an advocate of it. wether you are on a dyno, or seat of the pants. It works. You can be skeptical...its your loss.
I guess I do not see your point.... OK if people tried it and liked it, it might be good but it does make for more intake noise and some people like that sucking sound. Noises make people think their car is faster. Maybe it is. Maybe not. A dyno does not mean much, it's not the real world. Seat of the pants is too easily affected by the sounds and vibration and general excitement.

I might find a way to test it under real-world conditions and if it works, I will certainly report that back. I'm not saying it doesn't work, just that testing a mod like this on a dyno is likely not going to teach you anything, and that 10HP seems pretty unrealistic. Being skeptical of dyno numbers you read on the 'net is not unreasonable, nor is being skeptical of mods you read about on the internet that someone said was great and got them 10HP and improved throttle response. I've heard that a few times and it's usually BS, so... skeptical.

-Joel.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:12 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Joel, I am with you 100%. Lots of hype about mods. Like you said, it could very well be a placebo effect.
Better to test for yourself. The gains were very minimal at best. 1.5 rwhp is not much by any means.
Raj
Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Like i said, Your loss. I performed this mod when i first bought my car. Found gains on the Dyno, found gains in seat of the pants feel, and found gains down the drag strip. Is this 1st hand experiance/evidence 100% accurate? NO.

Dyno's arnt 100% accurate, there are too many variables. Many have 5HP Turbine fans blowing at the front of the car. Some have secondary fans on top of that in addition to controlled room temperatures.

Seat of the pants feel can just be perception based on a throatier sound as you mention. 1/4 Runs can vary based on outside temperature/track conditions. etc.

But there is one constant. I personally found gains in all 3 areas...which leaves me with one conclusion. The same conclusion anyone who has done this mod has. And that is, anyone who does not perform this modification on a stock or near stock 968 is missing out on extremely cheap performance gains.

I'm done.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Joel, I am with you 100%. Lots of hype about mods. Like you said, it could very well be a placebo effect.
Better to test for yourself. The gains were very minimal at best. 1.5 rwhp is not much by any means.
Raj
For me there is no Hype. Either a product works, or it doesnt. I've tried many things. I have the most powerfull naturally aspirated streetable 968 i know of....and i'm still running a Cat to boot.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:53 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by notthd
I have the complete assy including the intake tube - I'll let it go for $50 plus shipping if interested
I'll match Mike's price if anyone else is still interested.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Well, here's my approach to this controversial mod...

If I get 1.5 rwhp ....cool.
If I get a more notable intake roar....great.
If I get a seat of pants response that brings a bigger smile to my face (even if I am fooling myself) ....good.
If i get more than 1.5 rwhp....wonderful.

And if I can have any, or all of these things without doing damage to my engine....awesome!

I guess I am pretty easy to please. I figure if any of the above conditions are met, I am going to get more enjoyment from driving my 968. All I'm looking for is a bigger smile.

Thanks all,

Quick Reply: Anyone have a spare airbox bottom?