Who is running a manual rack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 03:11 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Who is running a manual rack?

I've been thinking about using a manual steering rack on my 968. I found one for cheap and was planning on just flipping it but now I'm leering at my PS leaks with new purpose.

I always loved PS and never wanted it any other way. Then I took off the PS belt on my 944 and drove it around like that for 5 weeks. At first I hated it, but after 2 weeks I liked it, and after 5 weeks I really got used to it and it felt right. Today I put the belt back on, and I can't even drive anymore. The steering is way too light, sensitive to motion, and gives me absolutely no feeling of what the car is doing or what the tires are running over.

I had previously tried disabling the PS on the 968 and found it too hard to steer even at speed. The 944 has a bigger steering wheel so it was nice. I figured a big steering wheel must be like the larger ratio of the manual rack, so I think I will like it. I wanted to know what you manual rack users think of them.

How about impressions on the track? I've heard it can kill your arms after a day of DE. Is it hard holding it through long corners? I know with disabled PS it is. How is the ratio compared to PS? My biggest fear of running the manual steering was that I would be totally thrown off by the different ratio and I'd hate having to turn the wheel more. So your input is valuable. TIA.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:09 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Arash,

Have you also considered taking a leaky power rack and gutting/greasing it? Here are few things to think about:

* My 944 has a gutted power rack -- never any fatigue issues on the track. Come drive it anytime you like!
* A gutted power rack (unnecessary parts emptied and greased) feels easier to drive than a disabled power rack (with belt removed).
* With a gutted power rack, you keep the same ratio (obviously...)
* I actually have a set of manual racks with late steering rods I never installed. I bought them before gutting my power racks -- I really should have gutted them before buying the manual racks....

Of course, you still have the parking issues...
Old 01-20-2009, 06:12 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey Joe!

I can live with parking issues. I mean if the steering is how I want it to be, parking will be hard but livable. The 968 with its wider tires, smaller steering wheel, and with no PS belt was a bear to park; the 944 is easy to park with no PS belt.

Hmm.... I might have to come pay you a visit and test drive your unpower steering car. So how do you like it? Are you glad you did it, or would you go back? What are the big pros and cons for you?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:31 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Flip the manual set up and fix your PS.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:19 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Arash, I am running a manual rack. I can provide a lot of details.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Please do!

I can easily fix the PS leaks. I just resealed the rack and pump on the other 968, as well as replacing every single PS hose. Yes, it was very expensive. And I bet it will start leaking in a few years again! But even more than the leaks, I'm annoyed by the congestion and complexity under the hood and under the engine. And even more than that, I think I'm starting to prefer manual steering for the sport car. I will keep PS on the daily car, thank you.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:39 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
<snip> The 968 with its wider tires<snip>
That could make a difference, I'm running pretty narrow tires -- but we can slap on a wider set of tires and see how it feels.

Personally, I have no regrets -- and I like having fewer moving parts. Less things to leak and gives me more time to pay attention to other parts of the car that needs fixing!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM
rdhayward
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been driving without a power steering pump since last summer and have become quite accustomed to it. It improves road feel at low speeds, for sur.

However, I'm also more inclined to only turn the steering wheel when the car is moving, even slightly, which I believe is easier on the A-arms & balljoints. On the other hand, I'm definitely putting more stress on the steering column, which would otherwise be taken up by pressure in the valve body of the steering rack.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I run a manual rack on my track car. Up to this year, the biggest wheel size I ran in the front was a 245/15, which was no problem at all on my arms. For 2009, I will be running 275/17's up front and hope that it will not be too difficult. I will find out in a month and report back.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go with a manual rack, the steering will be easier than when you use a p/s rack with the belt disconnected...The ratios are not the same.

That being said, I had manual on my 968 track car for a few years and came to love it...I run 275 X 18 up front, by the way.

Then I had a coach one day...He initially drove my car to see what we were working with. His comment was that I would benefit from power steering. His feeling was that you could be smoother and more relaxed with the p/s, and you don't lose the feel that you might expect. I put it back in, and now much more prefer the p/s ability to more quickly add steering...very nice on tight courses!

I feel more relaxed and less worn out at the end of my sessions.

You can get the under-drive pulleys if your p/s is too assisted for you, by the way.

Jason
Old 01-21-2009, 10:49 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Jason, those points were exactly what I was concerned about. On DEs or backroads, I recognize that some corners are so tight I would not even be able to steer through them fast enough without PS. Especially with the larger ratio of the manual rack. I didn't think of an underdrive pulley... I'll look into that.

Tim, please let us know how the steering feels with the new tires!

rd, yeah, no PS does wear out components faster. On the 944 I was driving around with no belt, the driver side rubber rack mount wore out and allowed lateral movement of the rack! That was kinda scary. Then the lateral movement shook loose the two mount bolts right there, and that entire aluminum mount bracket started coming off. One bolt snapped, the other backed out halfway. I don't know how I did not lose the ability to steer. Both bolts replaced with new SS bolts, rubber mount replaced, and BELT reinstalled!

Joe, the 968 had 225 on 17" at the time I tried taking off the belt. The 944 has 215 on 15" wheels. So the width is about the same actually. Maybe all the difference was made by the large steering wheel in the 944.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:08 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

+1 regarding Jason's comments. I went to PS after going w/o for 4 track seasons. The PS makes car placement much easier and there is far less fatigue on tracks with multiple and sequential turns. No noticeable loss in power at all. This is on a car with no rubber in the suspension , front or rear, and equiped with Motons.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:58 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 169 Posts

Arash- I'm in total agreement on the PS. I have run both a gutted PS rack and a full PS. I would go the PS route. Parking is a bitch on the gutted rack and +1 on the steering response.

If for some reason you need a PS rack, I have three. One has a known leak, one does not and one is from a 951 but I think they are the same but not sure.

Cheers, Mike
Old 01-23-2009, 01:05 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. It seems the consensus is to keep PS. I would be inclined to use an underdrive pulley now that I know I can - the assist always seemed a little too powerful for a sports car. And I can always change that back easily.

I might install the manual rack for a while just to see how it is. I can get a spare set of tie rods for it, so I don't need to get it realigned every time I swap out the rack. I think if I leave all the PS lines intact, I can swap just racks (and steering shafts) without too much headache, at least once just to try it.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
+1 regarding Jason's comments. I went to PS after going w/o for 4 track seasons. The PS makes car placement much easier and there is far less fatigue on tracks with multiple and sequential turns. No noticeable loss in power at all. This is on a car with no rubber in the suspension , front or rear, and equiped with Motons.
The opposite is normally said for the 964 Cups and RSAmericas (std manual steering racks). Manual steering racks are desired/sought after, so I'm guessing the difference is due to weight distribution between a 911 and 968?

Quick Reply: Who is running a manual rack?