Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Door won't lock electrically from outside.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009 | 08:53 PM
Caracal
Track Day

Default Door won't lock electrically from outside.

I have a '93 968 that will not lock electrically from the outside. When I turn the key to lock either door both lock posts will jitter and then stop. I can still manually lock the doors. If I lock the doors from either lock post it locks electrically just fine. The key works fine to unlock both doors electrically. The console switch works fine to lock and unlock both doors. Any ideas?
Old 01-01-2009 | 11:54 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

To clarify: so with the key from the outside, can you still open the door? It just doesn't open both doors, right?

I just reinstalled the complete door locking assembly today so I can probably help :0
Old 01-02-2009 | 11:07 AM
Caracal
Track Day

Greg:

Yes sir, both doors will unlock electrically and open. Using the key to unlock either door from the door handle will unlock both doors. I cannot get either door to lock electrically and/or arm the alarm while using the key in either door handle. If I'm in the car with the doors shut and push the lock post down it will electrically lock both doors and arm the alarm. I can also get both doors to lock manually, but this doesn't arm the alarm. The lock switch on the center console does lock and unlock both doors.

I did pull the drivers door handle out to replace a piece in the latch mechanism, but I was pretty sure it was working after I finished, but that was a while ago and the car has not been on the road for quite some time.

Thanks for your help.

Andy
Old 01-02-2009 | 12:49 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Its probably you rlinkage rod that connects the lock actuator from the outside to the locking mechanism. They are know to fail or just pop out of their plastic retainer.
Raj
Old 01-02-2009 | 12:53 PM
968turbos2
Racer

I would check the hood/door/tailgate sensors. I wonder if the car thinks a door/hatch/hood is open so it will not let all the doors be locked/arm the alarm cause it does not think everything is closed? Maybe the hood, sunroof(??), hatch and doors all have contact switches to indicate they are closed. One of them isn't possibly. One more is the ignition. I think if a key is left in the ignition (thinks there is one) then it will do what you are describing.
Old 01-02-2009 | 01:16 PM
Caracal
Track Day

Raj:

I have verified that the white plastic lock retainer is in place. I can lock and unlock the door from the handle. It just won't lock electronically, only manually from the handle. I can lock and unlock the doors from the center console switch.

Andy
Old 01-03-2009 | 01:43 AM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Ok,
I think you have a problem with the white wire (actually 3 wires inside) that attaches to the back of the door handle. I believe this sends the electronic signal to the central locking system to lock/unlock the other door.

For starters, you need to confirm that this is clipped into the back of the door handle for starters.
After that you might want to confirm the white casing is not split (remove door panel) and test that there is a signal when locking/unlocking door (if connected to handle).

You might want to pull up a diagram off the factory manual or PET.

Keep us posted and hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2009 | 07:32 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by troppo
Ok,
I think you have a problem with the white wire (actually 3 wires inside) that attaches to the back of the door handle. I believe this sends the electronic signal to the central locking system to lock/unlock the other door.

For starters, you need to confirm that this is clipped into the back of the door handle for starters.
After that you might want to confirm the white casing is not split (remove door panel) and test that there is a signal when locking/unlocking door (if connected to handle).

You might want to pull up a diagram off the factory manual or PET.

Keep us posted and hope this helps.
Yes, I agree. The microswitch that is attached to the doorhandle on the inside may be going bad, although it's more likely out of adjustment for some reason. These are 964 parts and pretty expensive (around $70 ea).

The microswitch is attached to the doorhandle assembly by means of a tiny diecast metal bracket affixed with a screw. Be VERY careful not to crack this bracket, as it is not available separately.
Old 01-07-2009 | 11:40 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

I am in total agreement with you all, It seems to me like the white sensor wire for the key tumbler is either broken or the micro switch screw fell off. I would remove the handle , the steps are below in the pic and check the wire. You will not have completely remove and unhook the handle to check. You can pop the side bolt, slide and turn out to view the wire connection. It is screw and wire with red arrows in the pic- have fun and good luck

Cheers Mike

Last edited by notthd; 03-01-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Door won't lock electrically from outside.